“Lovely place!”

Hotel du Vin Cheltenham
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 31 January 2009

This is a delightful, modern and immaculate hotel with charming and helpful staff. We booked a standard double room and it was faultless with a superbly comfortable huge bed and wonderful underfloor heating in the bathroom. The food, although possibly slightly limited by a small menu, was delicious and beautifully presented. It was a buzzy environment.

What was overwhelmingly good was the general attitude of the staff all the time during our stay - nothing was too much trouble and every request was met with a smile. Even when we had to call an ambulance for my husband (he suddently became very ill) everything was made as easy as possible for us in every way.

If there was a fault - and it is difficult to find one - I would say that this is not an hotel for anyone who finds stairs tricky. There are an awful lot of them!

Needless to say, we will be back!

Stayed: January 2008
Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed 19 January 2009

Nicely located, shiny and new, and decadently funky it should be recepie for success, but somehow it wasn't quite there. It's a little too new and a little too polished to have any kind of endearing quirks. A previous review said it seems to be aimed at a 'yuppie' market and this seems about right, so some may find it a bit crass. Having 50 rooms and a large dining area also - to me - somewhat stretches the self-appointed 'boutique' label making it less than personable, despite the staff's best efforts: it's more a link in an aesthetic, well-oiled chain. As such it felt to be lacking soul. In possibly an unfortunate moment ,the air con in our superior room - the 'Graham Beck' (which was lovely, but again a soulless, design-team makeover way) did not work and the room was unbearably, duvet-sheddingly, hot. We opened the window at 4am to find we were next to the air-con outflow for the entire building, making the rest of the night something akin to sleeping on a plane. Not ideal when you're after a good night's sleep away from the kids.... Oh, and when you eat, be sure and order a side dish cos you don't get ought else with your main course! All that said, it's a stunner of a building and we had a cracking deal on D,B&B, so it's not all bad.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2009

The bar is big, comfortable, opulent and buzzing. The rooms are well equipped and the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in (I'm thinking of contacting them to find out where they get their mattresses from). We were there for my father's 70th birthday celebration and the hotel staff shared the surprise by admirably keeping the secret. The food was excellent in the restaurant and there was an atmosphere of people having a good time and enjoying themselves in good company. The hotel is a stone's throw from the main shopping area. Staff are friendly and helpful. Bathrooms are, as ever with HduV, stunning (although a bit bizarre having the bath at the end of the bed!). A lovely place to stay with everything to hand.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2009

My partner and I wanted to celebrate our anniversary and decided to treat ourselves to 1 night in a large double room at the Cheltenham HDV. Having previously stayed at other chains of HDV and having read the reviews on trip advisor we had high expectations for Cheltenham. Unfortunately this HDV chain did not live up to expectations. Our stay was nice but we both expected more for what we paid. There were a couple of minor things that niggled me and the hotel lacked the attention to detail you'd expect for what you pay.

On arrival, we walked into the reception area to find several suitcases blocking the hallway, we had to tip toe around them to get into the hotel. These were not removed whilst we checked in and created a bad first impression of the hotel. We had to wait a good 5 minutes before someone attended to us at reception. We were not greeted to a warm welcome the receptionist had no conversation whatsoever and merely checked us in. Nothing was explained to us about breakfast arrangements, local bars/restaurants nearby.

On the plus side, the room was spacious and the bathroom was huge (at £180 a night you'd expect it). I would, however, not call it anything special and it lacked the charm and individuality that the HDV brand prides itself on and other chains possess. In addition, our room overlooked a car park.

The service improved in the restaurant area and the food was nice. In my opinion I'd choose to opt out of breakfast and go get something cheaper elsewhere.

Overall I would sum this place up as thinking a little too highly of itself. I would definitely not stay here again as it was definitely not worth the final £300 we paid!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hannah62
Reviewed 17 December 2008

This is pretty much everything you’d expect from a Hotel du Vin. From the elegant building (in this case an early Victorian Villa) to the hip interior, it’s the usual stylish blend of the traditional and the modern. It’s all very chic and I would say it’s aimed primarily at the young professional market (or the yuppie market as it would have been called a few years ago).

The rooms have pretty much everything you could want, including a flat-screen TV and DVD/CD player. The furniture, fixtures and fittings are all top quality, and this being a relatively new hotel, everything is still in pristine condition. The monsoon showers in the en suite bathrooms are rightly famous and the Hotel du Vin toiletries are the best I’ve found at any hotel. All in all, everything is here for an very enjoyable stay.

Just a couple of quibbles. Firstly, the car park has limited spaces and can be difficult to get in and out of when it is approaching full. Secondly, although the service in the bistro is excellent, the cooking is nothing special. Don’t get me wrong; it’s perfectly okay (and a lot better than the UK hotel restaurant norm), but it is not particularly accomplished or adventurous. This is somewhat surprising, given that the wine list features many top bottles (and at prices to match!). The breakfast, however, is spot on and is about as good as you will get anywhere.

The Hotel du Vins are distinctly above average but, of course, they are not the cheapest. However, it is worth saying that the rates are not that much higher than those you’d pay at some of the big chain hotels, and for the few extra pounds you get a significant step up in terms of service, accommodation and cuisine. I would certainly be very happy to go back.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank TedMeades
Reviewed 23 October 2008

After reading review after review of hotels, I decided to splash the cash on 2 nights at the Hotel du vin, as a weekend getaway for myself and girlfriend. And what a couple of days it was!

I booked a junior suite online via their website. Not the easiest to navigate and seriously lacking in photos and details of which room I had actually booked. I wanted it to be special and to ensure I got one of the better rooms so when I rang ahead of arrival, the receptionist was both polite and accommodating to my requirements, securing me the perfect suite.

On arrival, our room (La Grande Dame) was fantastic - contemporary and luxurious, 2 baths, each with their own flat screen TV, huge monsoon shower, lounge area and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in in a hotel.

On the first night we ate in the restaurant and were thoroughly impressed. A fantastic choice of wines coupled with excellent starters and main courses made for a memorable meal (and yes, the fat chips are gorgeous!). The service was good but not brilliant - they brought my course out earlier than my partners which meant us waiting until we had to ask where her course was before it was delivered.

The additional complimentary DVDs and CDs were good and the complimentary bathrobes and bathing gels etc were really nice (although we decided to leave them!)

My only gripe is that for the cost of the room, we would have thought they could afford to supply breakfast. We decided £13.50 for a cooked breakfast or £10 for a juice and cereal was daylight robbery and ate in one of the many cafes Cheltenham has to offer nearby, due to the good location of the hotel.

Overall, a fantastic getaway. Well worth splashing the cash if you can afford to!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johnas77
Reviewed 22 October 2008

We went for a romantic break and shopping trip and this hotel was ideal. It is within walking distance to the centre and several restaurants. The hotel itself was lovely and we had a junior suite which was great. The bathroom was definately the main attraction with 2baths, 2 monsoon showers and 2 sinks!
Nice size bed that we did not want to leave!
Room is very open plan with the bath's pretty much being in the room.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and was disappointed when we had to leave-so much so we phoned for a late check out which they kindly accomodated!

Will def be going back!