“Lovely hotel, shame about the service”

Hotel du Vin Cheltenham
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
UK
“Lovely hotel, shame about the service”
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We were visiting Cheltenham for a weekend at the races and wanted to treat ourselves to somewhere nice. I have to say the hotel accommodation was excellent. We were in the Umani room on the second floor. Despite being close to the lift there was no noise. It was a spacious very clean room with a king size bed and very nice bathroom with "monsoon" shower and heated floor. Nice towels, excellent shampoos etc. Linen on the bed was quality cotton, great pillows etc.

There were some other rooms that also had a bath in the room. Although it did not particularly matter we did not get one of these rooms it would have been nice if the staff has asked when we checked in. Other friends we were staying with had this kind of room on the same rate.

We had a dinner, bed and breakfast rate and ate in the restaurant on the Saturday evening. I have to say we agree with the previous review that the service was below the standard we had expected. It was slow and un-attentive. The main course was excellent and although the rubarb cheesecake was delicious I think head chef (Jon Parsons) would have been devastated about the way it was presented. It looked like it had been thrown on the plate with little or no care taken over the presentation. Such a shame after the steak which was brilliantly presented. Other issues were that we selected a specific brandy from the drinks menu only to have the waiter bring an alternative to the table (already poured) that was over double the price (!). We checked to see if they were going to give it to us at the same price and were told this was not the case. We sent it back only to find it had been inadvertently charged to the bill anyway. Also there was a really long wait between main course and dessert.

Service at breakfast was little better.

Other things:

- parking is a bit of a challenge but if you are patient you can usually find somewhere
- Wi-Fi is available - free of charge for 30 mins

We would definitely stay here again but as per the last reviewer would go out to eat.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Room was compact ,had everything you'd want for a weekend stay - comfy bed, nice linen, aircon, widescreen TV, bar etc. Shower was nice. Ate on Friday night in the restaurant. Service very slow and staff in the bar area not at all attentive. Wine list was overpriced. Food was overreduced and rich. Wouldn't eat there again or recommend to anyone. Would stay room-only if it came to it, but I'd probably look elsewhere if I had time.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Twickenham
Reviewed 18 January 2011

We were supposed to stay here at the end of December but, when we arrived, Reception was lit by candles and they explained that they had a power cut (the second in two weeks.) We were shown to our room which did have emergency lighting and were told that the problem would be fixed very soon. We shortly discovered that NOTHING worked without the power - the toilet wouldn't flush, the baths (two, roll-top, absolutely gorgeous) wouldn't fill. After an hour or so, my husband went back to Reception who said that the problem could not be sorted and they were going to place everyone at different hotels for the night. Since a fantastic new hotel had just opened up the road, they were putting some people there - nothing like encouraging your clientele to use the competition! However, we booked the HdV specifically as it was my birthday and I have always loved these hotels and especially their restaurants. We have supported them right from the early days in Winchester. We therefore decided to return home to eat at our local pub and assumed that we would get a note of apology with maybe some compensatory offer - my husband is in marketing and sales and he would definitely try to get the customers back after sending them off to the competition for the night! However, not a word. The manager did apologise on the night, but it does leave a bit of a bad taste - our business is obviously not important to them. I shall now think twice before giving them any more rave reviews.
Having said that, the room was glorious. Shame we didn't get to stay in it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I chose the hotel du vin in cheltenham to propose to my girlfriend on new years day after a days racing at cheltenham. I wanted the wow factor and as we entered the moet vintage collection room and saw the two roll top cast iron baths I wasn't disappointed. The room was faultless to the eye, although a little too warm. The restaurant was stunning and the food was lovely. It was an expensive one night stay but for a special occasion it could not be faulted.

• Stayed January 2011
Lancashire
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Chose to stay at the Hotel Du Vin as I knew the reputation of these boutique style hotels were good and that the standard of accommodation was exceptional - I couldn't fault it. I stayed here on business with my husband and chose an Executive room. The bathroom had a free standing bath and huge monsoon style shower which is in my opinion what you pay extra for! We chose room service which wasn't the best I've ever had and lacked taste so I do regret not choosing to dine in their restaurant which looked fantastic. If you like luxury and contemporary style hotels, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Somerset, UK
Reviewed 12 December 2010

I highly recommend this hotel. It is comfortable and well furnished and particularly welcoming during freezing weather. It is easily accessible and within a short walk of the city centre, We ate dinner once in the hotel and it was very good in deed and the breakfasts are excellent - and freshly cooked!

Very few complaints. My room, although well furnished, was small and in the eaves so I had to be careful not to bang my head. And the service was slow at times, although the staff were in general friendly and helpful.

Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Du Vin Cheltenham yesterday evening and it was great from start to finish. We took advantage of the Sunday special offer where you have a minimum spend in the restaurant of £75 and you get the room for £45 and it was extremely good value for money.

We arrived in the afternoon and after dropping off our bags in the lovely room (complete with roll top bath and separate wet room) went for a wander and a bite to eat in the Montpellier area - which is literally just around the corner and did a bit of shopping.

The service in the bar and the restaurant was faultless and we really enjoyed our evening meal.

The only reason that we haven't rated this hotel as 'excellent' is because the room got a bit hot during the night (although that could have been down to the cocktails we consumed!).

Overall we had a lovely wedding anniversary.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple