“Hanover House Bliss”
Review of Hanover House

Hanover House
Ranked #6 of 68 Cheltenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We are having trouble writing anything different to previous reviews!
A little oasis in the middle of Cheltenham, James and Veronica made us feel like family, welcoming us into their home and making it feel like ours, from the very first.
We were delighted with our room, all the little touches within it and the accompanying bathroom.
Breakfast too was sumptuous, and again felt homely as we all sat down round a big table.

We certainly will be recommending it to family, and hope to be staying again.

This is not a visit for those of you who enjoy the cut-off experience and anonymity of a hotel.
But if you like to be fully taken care of in a most thoughtful manner, surrounded by calm, this should be top of your list.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hanover House

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Having travelled from Australia to visit Cheltenham with my daughter I was so pleased to find myself at the delightful Hanover House.

Having read the glittering reviews I had high expectations but Veronica, James and their lovely retriever Sophie exceeded them all.

The accommodations were both generous and incredibly comfortable. Tea, coffee and sherry amenities in the room were much appreciated as was the impeccable daily cleaning service.

The breakfast was absolutely delicious! Homemade bread, bone china and gorgeous surroundings made for a fantastic start to each day!

The hosts themselves are the true highlight of this charming B&B. Well travelled, kind and welcoming, Veronica and James offered remarkable local insight and suggestions. I would also like to thank them for going the extra mile in helping me find medical advice during my stay.

A true five star B&B with utterly charming character - I hope to return soon!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
HanoverCheltenham, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Beth and Lyn, thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to write a review for your stay with us at Hanover House. We knew this was a very special mother and daughter get together as you live so far away from each other, and only glad that we were able to provide the space and peace that you needed.

Also very pleased that our very good surgery was able to prescribe what you needed to enable you to continue your break.

Warmest wishes

James and Veronica

Reviewed 29 August 2013

My wife and I recently stayed for a 3-night break at Hanover House for a local festival. We were generously greeted with a warm welcome from the hostess who showed us to our room. The room was very large and full of character with a very comfortable king-size bed even fitted with an electric blanket for the colder nights! The room was excellently equipped with drawers, wardrobe, a radio, lovely tea and coffee-making facilities with fresh milk and even some sherry and a chaise-longue - there was a wide range of reading materials provided and the bathroom was fantastic - large with extra long bath, two separate sinks and a deluxe shower. We shared a perfect breakfast consisting a cooked breakfast with fresh fruit, fruit compotes, yoghurt and home-made jams with porridge to order and the option of salmon and kippers. It seemed that nothing was too much trouble for our hosts who were charming and entertaining. We enjoyed a good banter with the other guests each morning and the atmosphere was warm and friendly.
We very much enjoyed our stay at Hanover House and would certainly recommend it to others - we hope return again next year!

Room Tip: The Elgar room was ideal and had its own exceptional bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Just returned from my 5th visit to the gorgeous Hanover House...Great location, beautiful house, fab hosts...Yet again, Veronica and James made me feel enormously welcome and the room I stay in is just delightful: high ceilings, elegant windows, enormous shower room, comfortable beds and every little detail seen to. What's not to like?!

Room Tip: I have a sense all the rooms here are gorgeous!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
HanoverCheltenham, Manager at Hanover House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Thank you Rhiannon for the lovely review and we're glad that you're still enjoying your stays with us and the 'bonhomie' around the breakfast table. Hope you'll be able to make it in the New Year!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a fantastic 2 nights stay at Hanover House and would have loved to have stayed longer! After booking online, Veronica was very helpful responding promptly to my various emails with useful tips of where to dine in Cheltenham. The house itself is charming and beautifully decorated, we felt at home and warmly welcomed from the moment we arrived. The rooms are equally as beautiful, very romantic and relaxed for couples. The drop of Sherry and crystal glasses awaiting you in the room are a lovely little touch! Breakfast was incredible! We arrived back each evening to the smell of home made bread which we then enjoyed the following morning with a selection of homemade jams and marmalades! My husband could not fault his full English and my poached eggs were perfect! Having the guests dine together on one table, with blue and white bone china really added to that home from home feel! It was lovely! The owners Veronica and James were so attentive to our needs and looked after us perfectly! We loved seeing Sophie the dog around and will definitely be returning again soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
HanoverCheltenham, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Thomas's, Thank you for your kind review. We're glad you appreciated Hanover House and enjoyed the breakfast table camaraderie in the face of the onslaught of chaotic breakfast and occasional breakaway dog! As you could see, it's probably not for the faint-hearted but most people appreciate the experience... We look forward to seeing you again (as promised) before too long, Veronica, James and of course, Sophie.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I'm not sure if this was our 5th or 6th stay but we wouldn't have wanted to spend our 10th wedding anniversary anywhere else.
Elgar Room was so bright and sunny but remained quite cool despite tropical heat outside.
King-size bed is so deliciously comfortable and pristine white sheets a joy to sleep in.
Hospitality tray in our room was well stocked as usual, tea, coffee, fresh coffee sachets to make your own "real" coffee was a lovely touch. On this occasion we didn't help ourselves to the complimentary sherry but we did eat the sweeties.
Breakfast was fabulous, my husband opted for full English and I had scrambled eggs and mushrooms. Bread that made toast was home made and it would have been rude not to indulge in the fruit compote.
Hanover House is so close to Cheltenham town centre but when you are inside the house you feel like you are in a peaceful haven.
All round fantastic stay and we are already looking forward to the next.
If you are reading Veronica and James,thank you so much for the very thoughtful and kind gift.
Cannot rate highly enough.

Room Tip: Elgar room is huge and has separate bathroom- do NOT let this put you off. The bathroom is lovely an...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
HanoverCheltenham, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your 10th wedding anniversary. As usual you were delightful guests, appreciating the kind of place Hanover House is. We look forward to seeing you both again in December.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

This place is exceptional. I've stayed here 8 times so far this year. It's not a hotel, or even a B&B it is a home, and a beautiful and friendly one as well. I booked here initially because of the photos on the website of books in every room, yes, it costs a bit more, but gives a lot more. Veronica and James (and dog Sophie) treated me more as a friend than a hotel guest and and that is not something I have experienced very often in my travels.

Being Irish, we pride ourselves on our hospitality, it is in many ways the cornerstone of Irish culture maybe even our pre-christian religion, so my standards are very, very high. But Hanover House topped my highest expectations. If you want a cookie cutter hotel with everything in the same place whichever member on the chain you go to, this place is not for you.

Tea and coffee facilities? This place has a decanter of sherry in each room. Prepare to be wowed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business