“Absolutely delicious!!”

Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Dined here during a weekend in Cheltenham for a birthday present. The restaurant itself looks like nothing much from the outside, and you can see why some of the other reviews say it feels like dining in someone's house! Whoever do not let that put you off and definitely head through the door to the delights that await you!!

We were greeted with a friendly smile and shown to our table. We were the first ones in the restaurant, and there was no music playing, so we did find ourselves subconsciously whispering due to the quietness! However once other diners started arriving it livened up slightly, although it never felt "buzzing" (probably my only marginal criticism of the evening)

The menu had plenty to choose from and there was an excellent selection of fish and meat. Whilst we browsed the menu we were given a selection of amuse-bouche, including absolutely delicious sweet corn muffins. From those first tasters we knew we were in for a treat!

For starters I had the scallops with pigs jowl, which were absolutely delicious and came in a extremely well seasoned broth. My boyfriend had the chicken terrine which was quite a large portion for such a fine dining restaurant but too was very tasty and very well presented.

Before our mains we also were offered a variety of bread rolls and received a small bowl of salted cod mousse with red pepper and garlic. The flavours were very intense and every mouthful was different, which I very much enjoyed but my boyfriend thought the cod was slightly too fishy for him! Personal preference I suppose!

For main I had duck with parsnips and my boyfriend had the lamb. When the waitress took our order she asked if we were happy to have our meat pink, which I thought was considerate as in some places they assume that everyone is ok with that. Our mains arrived and the portions again were generous, with lots of delicious meat and fresh vegetables. The duck was so succulent and went perfectly with the fresh parsnips and parsnip purée, as well as the coffee sauce it came in (which I wasn't too sure about when I ordered it but it was delicious!) my boyfriend's lamb was very tender and all of the vegetables were cooked al dente and were so tasty.

Before dessert we were given a pre dessert, which was an elderflower and strawberry panne cotta. It was absolutely devine!! The sweetness of the strawberries went perfectly with the fragrant elderflower. My only criticism would be that the portion wasn't big enough as it was so delicious despite being full you could have eaten two!

For dessert I had the duck egg custard cream with hibiscus meringue and rhubarb, it was sensational! I am not usually a dessert fan but it was far and away my favourite course (and I thoroughly enjoyed the other two as well!) all of the individual components were delicious but put together on one spoon and it was a taste sensation! Again wonderfully presented! My boyfriend had the chocolate delice with milk ice cream that was extremely rich and decadent, but again thoroughly delicious!

We didn't fancy wine so had two G&Ts during our visit and we were very surprised at how reasonable the bill was! We have eaten at restaurants without such high acclaim or delicious food and paid a much higher price! We did look at the wine list and it was extensive and you could get a decent bottle for a very decent price!

The service was attentive without being intrusive, although our waitress didn't seem as friendly as some of the others. The staff are highly conscientious, folding your napkin over your chair when you go to the toilet, explaining details of the food patiently and answering questions with great expertise. It was a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere, which made the experience even more enjoyable.

The decor in the restaurant is very simple and neutral, with some interesting paintings to brighten the place up.

We had a very wonderful evening here and thoroughly enjoyed the food! I couldn't imagine coming back to Cheltenham and being able to resist a return visit! So hopefully we will go again and try and tasting menu next time!!

2  Thank citybreakaddict274

Reviewed 2 June 2014

When I’m planning on eating in a high-end restaurant I often check the one star ratings on TA to see where fellow punters felt the restaurant has fallen down. I did the same after eating at Le Champignon Sauvage and couldn’t believe it was the same place. We were warmly welcomed and were looked after very professionally but without the service being intrusive. The restaurant was nicely decorated and the delicate lightning made for a pleasant atmosphere. I also liked the fact that they didn’t play any background music. I know some people might prefer music as they’re dinning but there’s little I hate more than paying good money for food and having to endure some god awful music, more often than not Jazz.

The food itself was very good, every element was cooked without error and although there was salt and pepper on the table the seasoning was so spot on we never touched either. The menu was imaginative without being too far out and the combinations I thought might clash worked perfectly. This is the third 2* restaurant we have tried in the last couple of years and it was the most enjoyable by far. I did see that like many restaurants at the moment they offer a tasting menu but unlike most of them you’re not forced to have it. I also believe that for a restaurant of this quality the cost of going is actually very good. I have paid more per head in restaurants without stars where the chef is utterly clueless. All in all this was just about the best meal I have had this year and I really hope to head back there soon.

2  Thank Rob W
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went to this restaurant for a celebratory lunch and were welcomed by the staff. The food was beautifully presented and delicious. The menu was not extensive but there was a very good choice. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there and would happily go again.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Had lunch midweek after years of hesitation and a recommendation and not disappointed. Many nice touches and we tried both menus. The food was excellent but the house red Pinot not to the same standard. Pricey but you can see why. Worth a visit.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Treated my wife for her birthday and it was everything I wanted we wanted it to be. I won't go through all the dishes but I do have to mention my main course of venison, possibly the tastiest dish I've ever eaten. The service from Helen and the front of house team was professional but very friendly and both myself and my wife really admired the relaxed atmosphere of the restaurant. Can't find anything to fault...highly recommend it for any serious food lovers. Yes its expensive but not as expensive as many 1 star let alone 2 star restaurants.

1  Thank Cardiffdean75