“Great surprise - came back again”

Le Champignon Sauvage
Ranked #13 of 447 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Great surprise - came back again”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

First time visit I was a little bit sceptical; I was invited without having read anything about it. What a hidden surprise within those walls. Not the most appealing decor but enjoyed the food, all was about food and service. Came back after the races and...really enjoyed it. Well done!

• Visited April 2014

• Polish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unbelievable food and experience”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Definitely one of the best restaurant i've ever been too, new to trip advisor, but felt necessary to comment on best restaurant locally for me, so my reviews are somewhat back dated to earlier this year. Food is always ahead of the trends, taste excellent incorporating wild ingredients, foreign influences and modern gastronomy, with out being over pretentious or lacking the flavor some "Michelin" restaurants do. Service and atmosphere very good, didn't feel out of place again like some high end restaurant, and not overly expensive for the quality of food. The only negative is i couldn't eat there recently as they close most of June.

• Visited February 2014
Haddenham, United Kingdom
“A portal to another dimension...”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I'd heard of this restaurant, both from friends and the excellent Essence series of books written by the proprietor David Everitt-Matthias. Sometimes anticipation of somewhere with an excellent reputation can lead to disappointment, but not in this case.

You could walk right by the restaurant every day and probably never notice it (hence the title of this review). It's in a plain white and blue building on the A40 going into Cheltenham and the entrance is literally off the pavement. Once inside however, you are welcomed into a beautifully decorated and laid out restaurant.

The set menu is £59 for three courses and of course being a fine French dining experience you will also be served a variety of amuse-bouches and palette cleansers. The food is fantastic and inventive so don't expect pies or chips! The wine list is not overly extensive, but caters for any budget.

If you like eating in top end restaurants then you have to eat here, it's as simple as that.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Mark G
Cheltenham, UK
“Will go again...and again..and again......”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I've lived in Chelt for 12 years and had never been to Le Champignon...what a mistake.
I went for a friends birthday lunch and had one of the best meals I have ever had.
They have everything right. The atmosphere is quiet, yet friendly. The decor is unpretentious yet warm and comfortable. The welcome is reserved, but quiet and appropriate. For those few reviewers that complain about the lack of over-zealous welcome and noise...try Pizza Hut.

The food was brilliant. Mouthfuls to savour and remember. Pigeon cooked to perfection. Sea Bream that couldn't have been bettered. Petit fours that we gazed at lovingly for minutes before devouring. Just brilliant.

The wine list is fair, comprehensive and with something for all tastes and pockets.

The experience was topped off by a small birthday treat for my friend from the chef.

We left in a happy stupor and have talked about it ever since.

The lunch menu is ridiculously affordable. I can't believe I waited so long to go.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank CheltenhamCheltenham
“Absolutely delicious!!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Dined here during a weekend in Cheltenham for a birthday present. The restaurant itself looks like nothing much from the outside, and you can see why some of the other reviews say it feels like dining in someone's house! Whoever do not let that put you off and definitely head through the door to the delights that await you!!

We were greeted with a friendly smile and shown to our table. We were the first ones in the restaurant, and there was no music playing, so we did find ourselves subconsciously whispering due to the quietness! However once other diners started arriving it livened up slightly, although it never felt "buzzing" (probably my only marginal criticism of the evening)

The menu had plenty to choose from and there was an excellent selection of fish and meat. Whilst we browsed the menu we were given a selection of amuse-bouche, including absolutely delicious sweet corn muffins. From those first tasters we knew we were in for a treat!

For starters I had the scallops with pigs jowl, which were absolutely delicious and came in a extremely well seasoned broth. My boyfriend had the chicken terrine which was quite a large portion for such a fine dining restaurant but too was very tasty and very well presented.

Before our mains we also were offered a variety of bread rolls and received a small bowl of salted cod mousse with red pepper and garlic. The flavours were very intense and every mouthful was different, which I very much enjoyed but my boyfriend thought the cod was slightly too fishy for him! Personal preference I suppose!

For main I had duck with parsnips and my boyfriend had the lamb. When the waitress took our order she asked if we were happy to have our meat pink, which I thought was considerate as in some places they assume that everyone is ok with that. Our mains arrived and the portions again were generous, with lots of delicious meat and fresh vegetables. The duck was so succulent and went perfectly with the fresh parsnips and parsnip purée, as well as the coffee sauce it came in (which I wasn't too sure about when I ordered it but it was delicious!) my boyfriend's lamb was very tender and all of the vegetables were cooked al dente and were so tasty.

Before dessert we were given a pre dessert, which was an elderflower and strawberry panne cotta. It was absolutely devine!! The sweetness of the strawberries went perfectly with the fragrant elderflower. My only criticism would be that the portion wasn't big enough as it was so delicious despite being full you could have eaten two!

For dessert I had the duck egg custard cream with hibiscus meringue and rhubarb, it was sensational! I am not usually a dessert fan but it was far and away my favourite course (and I thoroughly enjoyed the other two as well!) all of the individual components were delicious but put together on one spoon and it was a taste sensation! Again wonderfully presented! My boyfriend had the chocolate delice with milk ice cream that was extremely rich and decadent, but again thoroughly delicious!

We didn't fancy wine so had two G&Ts during our visit and we were very surprised at how reasonable the bill was! We have eaten at restaurants without such high acclaim or delicious food and paid a much higher price! We did look at the wine list and it was extensive and you could get a decent bottle for a very decent price!

The service was attentive without being intrusive, although our waitress didn't seem as friendly as some of the others. The staff are highly conscientious, folding your napkin over your chair when you go to the toilet, explaining details of the food patiently and answering questions with great expertise. It was a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere, which made the experience even more enjoyable.

The decor in the restaurant is very simple and neutral, with some interesting paintings to brighten the place up.

We had a very wonderful evening here and thoroughly enjoyed the food! I couldn't imagine coming back to Cheltenham and being able to resist a return visit! So hopefully we will go again and try and tasting menu next time!!

• Visited June 2014