“Perfect celebration venue”

Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 November 2017

Have visited this lovely restaurant on a number of occasions and it never disappoints. As you walk through the door you are warmly greeted, coats are whisked away and drinks are graciously supplied. You’re then shown to your table in a well decorated intimate dinning room and from then on from the amuse bouche to the petits fours the food and service is quite superb. Strange as it may sound one of my favourites is the cheese course, it is without doubt the largest and best cheese board I’ve ever seen! Though it’s quite expensive I do like that, for the food at least, you know up front what you’re spending as there are set menus for both lunch and dinner and even if you go for the a la carte menu the 2, 3 and 4 course options are at published prices. The excellent wine list is a great, delicious, way to end up with a bigger bar than that for the food! But for a special occasion in a relax atmosphere with excellent food, great service and good friends why not?

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Small restaurant, fantastic attention to detail with innovation of the highest order. It deserves its accolades. Only negatives that didn’t effect the dining experience were the lack of local parking and a charity donation touted to customers. Would I go back ? Yes

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

As the title says, we were served excellent food in an excellent restaurant. From the moment we entered the door, the front of house staff were perfect. Service was very good, the staff very attentive and saw to all our needs without being overbearing or “hovering” to closely as can be the case in some other restaurants. And when the food arrived it was perfectly prepared and presented - and included various (unexpected) nibbles between courses. Given the quality of local ingredients, its preparation and presentation along with drinks we felt we had very good value for money. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

My Fiancé and I visited Le Champignon Sauvage for a Friday lunch to celebrate her birthday. After browsing the menu we opted for the three course for £34 as the dishes looked just as enticing as the à la carte offerings. We enjoyed canapés of squid ink sponge with cod roe and a blue cheese cookie that were light and delicious. An appetiser of a salted cod fritter celery veloute really whet the appetite after we were seated.

I choose the pork belly for my starter which was juicy and seasoned well. My fiancé had hake and confit chicken wing and said that the fish was cooked beautifully. For my main I had pigeon breast which was delicious and perfectly pink, the highlight being a powerful sauce with a touch of aniseed which stood up to the pigeon wonderfully. My fiancé had lamb with a lamb sauce which was really skilfully cooked and presented.

For desert we both opted for cheese and were blown away by the knowledge of the staff who talked us through each of the 20+ offerings individually. Our choices were varied and delicious and we felt fully justified in skipping desert! For £3.50 we added coffee and petits fours after the meal and enjoyed a lovely range of sweet treats.

The restaurant itself is tastefully and subtlety finished which when combined with the friendly, attentive front of house team made for a truly memorable experience.

We would whole heartedly recommend Le Champignon Sauvage for any occasion and will be looking for any excuse to visit again soon. Thanks to all who contributed to a fantastic birthday present, especially the extra pudding with a candle to mark the occasion!

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Ate here for lunch and for a two Michelin star rated restaurant the price for a three course lunch was outstanding!! Also a chef so asked in advance if I could meet a hero of mine , the owner and chef , David Everett Mathias :-) was duly obliged and had a great chat and met all the kitchen team and got one of his books , beyond essence , personally signed by the great man himself :-)
Food and service was everything you would expect from that level of dining if not a three star level !! Would recommend anyone to go there and experience the Champignon Sauvage . Although quite a trek out from the main area of CHELTENHAM, we walked , which only took about 10 mins from centre , worth every minute !! If we lived closer we would be there everyday :-)

1  Thank Stephen W