“Excellent food should be michelin starred”
Review of Lumiere

Lumiere
Ranked #1 of 446 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$36 - US$102
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Lumière is intimate fine dining restaurant set in the heart of beautiful, Regency Cheltenham. Run by Chef Jon Howe and his partner Helen. Lumière offers a short inspirational menu and friendly, informative service. Jon excels in being able to put a new and interesting twist on traditional dishes, the menus change frequently allowing Jon to make the most of the fresh produce available to him.
Wednesbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent food should be michelin starred”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and I had lunch here for her birthday. To start we both had a lightly boiled bantams egg with white andgreen English asparagus with a truffle oil dressing which showed a greatly lightness of touch. For the main course we both greatly enjoyed the hogget with a salt baked purple carrot.
Many restaurants are let down by the desserts but not the Luminaire, the Valrhona chocolate brownie was excellent. We shall return for dinner.

• Visited April 2014
LumiereCheltenham1, Owner at Lumiere, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your lunch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Very Good”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is a small restaurant, but nicely decorated.

The music is an interesting tape. of pop songs played on a synth. It is not good, but is strangely catchy. It certainly does no harm, it is after all only something to have on in the background.

We went for the tasting menu, with matching wine option.

Service was okay, friendly, polite and keen, but not showy.

Perhaps, it appears less professional than some restaurants, of this price, however, I did enjoy the feeling of casualness and there was no issues.

The wine was nice and nicely matched the food very well, it did feel a little costly though. I have paid more for matching wine in other restaurants, but found at those times, that I did receive more wine.

The food, is where the restaurant really shines and the reason for this 5 star review.

Each course was nicely balanced and contained interesting flavours and tastes. I particularly liked the smoked eel and the souffle.

As the tasting menu, is described, as restaurant favourites there was no menu to accompany the meal, either before or after, which is a shame as I think these can be a nice addition to remember an expensive meal.

I was curious, as to how good this restaurant would be. In Cheltenham, it has competition, with Le Champignon Sauvage, a restaurant I have been two on three other occasions.

On Trip Advisor, Lumiere seems to be rated higher.

In my opinion, although great, if I had to choose between them, as a last meal I would choose the Champignon Sauvage as the cooking is exceptional.

I am lucky though, as I live locally, I can choose which one of them to go to as I do rate Lumiere highly and will definitely return.

LumiereCheltenham1, Owner at Lumiere, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your meal with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Woburn Sands, United Kingdom
“Would give it 7 out of 10”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Received a friendly welcome but only a few fellow diners so it lacked atmosphere. The service was friendly and pleasant but lacked a little finesse, the food was good, tasty canapés and amuse bouche and the wine list extensive. Overall I would say above average, not excellent but were we local, which we are not, I would probably give it another try.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank maur2043630

London, United Kingdom
“Very Good”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Initially was surprised with the venue, lot smaller than I had imagined, but by no means a bad thing. Food was lovely and very well presented. Reasonable price - for special occasions at least. Enjoyed as not in the least bit pretentious and didn't feel looked down upon when asking questions about the menu. Staff were wonderful. Slight faux pas with the drinks but rectified without any fuss. Recommended!

1 Thank Terribleterrytate

Gloucestershire
“Superb!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We have just been for lunch on a Saturday as we were celebrating and this is one of our favourite restaurant, we weren't disappointed. We were very decadent and splashed out on the tasting menu with the flight of wines, every course looked and tasted fantastic, well done to to the chef and his team! We will definitely be back and would recommend it to anyone who want's a special treat or just somewhere nice to eat.

1 Thank No1Scribbler