“Michelin star quality food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 440 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$35 - US$100
Cuisines: European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Lumière is intimate fine dining restaurant set in the heart of beautiful, Regency Cheltenham. Run by Chef Jon Howe and his partner Helen. Lumière offers a short inspirational menu and friendly, informative service. Jon excels in being able to put a new and interesting twist on traditional dishes, the menus change frequently allowing Jon to make the most of the fresh produce available to him.
“Michelin star quality food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Took my husband out for his birthday here as a surprise. Liaison with the owner over dates and time were flawless despite them having just got back off holiday and she couldn't be more accommodating. We are new to the area so based my choice solely on trip advisor!! We were not disappointed. After finding the establishment (it has a very discreet frontage and when we asked a local they hadn't heard of it!?) we were greeted by lovely staff into a restaurant the size of a largish front room (I like the fact not too many people could fit in!). Then the good commenced and oh my it was amazing!! Everything they put out in front of us was so good it all went and we wanted more! Obviously the quality of food is reflected in the price but I would expect that and had no issues paying what we paid! Definitely a place for a special occasion, we will definitely be back! Thank you

1 Thank Rachael K
LumiereCheltenham1, Owner at Lumiere, responded to this review, 16 July 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your meal with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

“Very Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This is a smart restaurant in Cheltenham. It feels quite special inside in terms of decor and ambience, but at the same time it is relaxed and unstuffy and I felt very welcome as I went in.

The quality of both the food and service is above the normal, and there is something about this place that sets it above most other Cheltenham restaurants for me. Wine list was good and not intimidating/overwhelming. lumiere does not suffer from pretence or arrogance unlike other similar places in town, and this makes for an excellent experience. The fresh tastes and flavours really stood out.

If I was a wealthier man then I would go more!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Great all rounder”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I was trying to think of the best way to describe our experience at Lumiere. My wife and I have visited a number of highly lauded restaurants in the UK but trying to set this alongside them was tricky.

In the end the best analogy I could come up with was one from the sporting world of Formula One racing. Bear with me please: Back in the eighties when Nigel Mansell was still seeking to be World Champion, he ended being pitted against his teammate Nelson Piquet throughout the season. Mansell in the end won more races than Piquet, yet Piquet won the Championship. Why? Simply because where Mansell didn't win, he never finished. Where Piquet didn't win, he nearly always came second.

The thing that struck me about the Lumiere was, in all honesty I've had stand out dishes at other restaurants that beat those that I had at Lumiere. I've had service at other restaurants which have trumped that experienced here. I've probably been in nicer spaces than the dining room at the Lumiere. But you know what? I don't think I've been anywhere than has pulled it all together in the way that Lumiere did.

The food may not have been the absolute best, but it was still right up there alongside the others for imagination and flair. The service by Helen and her staff was swift, well co-ordinated, and above all charming and fun. The restaurant was an understated oasis of calm.

I might be able to pick out better in individual areas, but Lumiere excels in all areas. Essentially a great all rounder. So what we ended up with was a combination which gave us one of the most memorable evenings I think we've had.

In terms of Cheltenham, we have been to the two michelin starred Le Champignon Sauvage numerous times. We like it a lot. We recently discovered The Beaufort at Ellenborough Park, which became a new Cheltenham favourite. However our experience at Lumiere has exceeded these and many other restaurants further afield.

The restaurant could so easily be pretentious, but it's not. Helen and her staff make you feel like you've gone around to close friends for a meal. All the dishes were well presented, some of them were really works of art - although I wasn't entirely convinced by the petits fours on sticks.

Everything was cooked perfectly with great balance of flavours. While my wife didn't particularly enjoy the amuse bouche (she isn't a fan of sweetcorn, a main ingredient) and a couple of the petits fours were too sweet - this was all a matter of personal taste for us, and did not detract from recognising we were eating well put together dishes.

Jon Howe seems to be a master of sauces. His choice and mix of colourful liquids which adorned the plates were both subtle yet entirely complementary to the dishes. Having eaten at the Fat Duck, you can definitely tell Heston's influence on Jon's craft.

The price was also a pleasant surprise. Not cheap but good value compared to other restaurants of similar quality.

All in all, loved it. We have decided we will be back to give the taster menu a go. Just leaving us with one question: When's that michelin star going to turn up? It's sure worth making a journey to experience Lumiere.

Definitely ended up winning the Championship crown for us.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank DrPaulT

london
“Cheltenham is so pretentious but the food here was amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Had a fantastic tasting menu meal here for my wife's birthday. My wife is a pescatarian so was intrigued how fine dining non meat dining would be like. I was very impressed with all the non meat dishes we had. After course 2, I had a smile on my face as I love to cook and wish I could even begin to have ideas of how to make some of the food we had here.
The waiting staff were really good without any pretension.
I do have one niggle. We were sat on a table just next to where the waitresses entered the kitchen, and we could here the coffee grinder quite loudly behind us. It was just at the end of our meal so didn't really bother us much, but I could see other people getting annoyed by it it they were sat there. It wouldn't stop me going back there though. Fantastic experience.

• Visited July 2014

Jon, Helen and the Lumiére team

P.S. You'll be glad to hear that the coffee grinder has now been replaced too, the new one is much quieter!!
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
“Believe the hype”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Somewhat of a hidden gem. Thoroughly enjoyed the tasting menu at our recent visit. Opted for the wine pairings and was not disappointed. Imaginative cooking with great wine match ups. Not sure why it has taken us so long to visit but will be back again soon.

Visited July 2014