“A disappointing afternoon tea”

Restaurant at The Greenway
Ranked #277 of 473 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$123 - US$123
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Tucked inside a beautiful Elizabethan manor house in Cheltenham, The Greenway offers a touch of luxury where the exquisite modern European cuisine is matched only by the picturesque scenery of the Cotswold Hills surrounding the hotel. Sophisticated and elegant, with plush draped fabrics set against crisp white linens, The Greenway manages to keep its sense of history, with all the mod cons. Using a daily delivery of local produce, Michelin accredited Head Chef Darren Jory creates inventive dishes like bolognaise of Devon duck and tastes and textures of loucestershire Old Spot pig and Granny Smith apples. Charming service and lovely views over the sunken garden and lily pond complete the experience.
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My friends and I had afternoon tea in the hotel today. At £20 per head I expected better. The service was slow and we were brought a full afternoon tea despite the fact we hadn't been asked what we wanted. The sandwiches and scones were ok but the cream eclairs were heavy and doughy. Admittedly I didn't try any of the other cakes but none looked that appetising and after being disappointed with the coffe and eclair I felt the rest of the cakes wouldn't be worth the calories! All in all not a good experience. Slow service, poor food and even worse poor coffee! I've had far better for far less money.

2  Thank JO_and_SIMON_109

Reviewed 12 February 2012

We haven't been to the Greenway for 2 years, having left it too late to get in for Valentine's Day in 2010. In the meantime, there's new management and a new chef. The hotel is much the same in appearance, with attentive service and the sitting room and dining room elegantly understated. Greeting on arrival is correct and drinks service prompt - my wife's Kir Royale hit the spot and the barman was able to put together my tonic and angostura bitters without any difficulty. The limited choice set menu was familiar and welcome, with most dietary requirements accommodated. My wife chose the foie gras bob-bon for a starter followed by salmon, my daughter the salmon roulade with avocado puree and crab mousse and pan fried sea-bass with smoked eel. I also had the salmon roulade but went for the pork belly for a main. A plate of fresh and varied cocktail roles was presented with a pat of butter - both good quality and perfect size and portion - pity about the badly chipped plate. And that's when we noticed the difference. The flavours in the starters and equally understated but delicious mains was breath-taking. Typically, we find that most set menus do good starters but rather mundane mains. There is a very talented and competent chef at work at the Greenway, who knows how to combine ingredients to tease and tantalize in the most provocative way. Well done. My wife stuck to bubbly and had a glass of Bollinger with lunch while I went for a very impressive South African chenin blanc. We couldn't manage pudding, but my daughter had the passion fruit cheesecake which she thoroughly enjoyed. We finished with coffee and friandise, which were good. The table has definitely moved up a notch or two - what a wonderful surprise. We've always liked the Greenway, but its back at the top of our list for Cheltenham.

Reviewed 19 August 2010

We were invited by family visiting from the US for dinner... hmm lovely idea a posh Hotel with restaurant.
A three course menu costing nearly £50 per person.
We forgot to take our magnifying glasses - portions are minuscule. I had scallops for starters, two tiny scallops the size of ten pence pieces topped with a smidge of tomato - two mouthfuls of nothing special.
My husband had celeriac soup and was presented with a tiny bowl with shreds of celeriac in the bottom, then a small jug of soup was poured on top. This was luke warm and again finished in two spoonfuls.
Main course - I had lemon sole - this was a small portion of OK fish served with a few strands of samphire and three tiny new potatoes.
My husband had loin of lamb - two small brown lumps served with some slivers of courgette and some sauce, and some unidentified green ball - he didn't bother to find out what it was.
Pudding - I ordered Summer pudding. what came bore no resemblance whatsoever to Summer pudding as you and I know it. A small glass filled with dark red jelly and a few fruits, two slivers of biscuit and a small scoop of ice cream. My husband sensibly ordered cheese, which came in a reasonable portion.
A disappointing experience - the only decent thing about the whole evening was the wine and company.

3  Thank welingtonboots
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Had possibly the best Sunday lunch ever! With a wonderful bin end Pichon- Longville- Contess 87 I've eaten at Michilin starred restaurants all over the world, although the service is not up there, quality of food is wonderful.

Reviewed 13 April 2010

We went for sunday lunch as an anniversary treat. I can honestly say that the food was done to perfection. I had red pepper espume, beef and chocolate tart, my partner duck, pork and the sorbet. We couldn't fault it. However the service once in the dining room was minimal, When the main course came out the waitress put the wong dish infront of each of us when we said that it should be the other way round she swapped them, didn't ask if we wanted anything else and dashed off, leving us in the dining room alone, then we had to wait 4 mins before another waiter appeared and asked if we wanted anything, i asked for some wine and he was off agiain before my partner could request anything. We would recommend this restaurant if only for the food, but go prepared to miss on the service that should go with a beautiful venue like this.