“Most uncomfortable dining chairs!”
Review of Monty's Brasserie

Monty's Brasserie
Ranked #65 of 479 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$19 - US$62
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Our table was 30 minutes late, there are no air-con or fan(s) in the dining room and although the windows was open but the cigarettes smell was coming in from the smokers outside! We had to ask for butter for our bread, we had to keep asking the staff (trying to catch their attention was hard work in itself) for more water as the table was far too small for the 4 of us let alone the jug of water! Let's just say the service was far from good! The food itself was average, just my starter and main with a side veg came to £30.50!! The cost for the 4 of us with 2 bottles of wines and a pint of lager with service was just under £200, it was only a mid-week casual meal, not a Michelin meal!

2  Thank CKCK2011
js_as_es_ts, Owner at Monty's Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor and I am sorry that your evening was not as enjoyable as you had expected.
With Monty’s being one of the most popular restaurants in the area we can be very busy even during the week. It is very unusual for customers to have to wait for a table as we do try and manage the bookings properly; unfortunately on this occasion the previous occupants were a little slower than we had predicted, hence the delay in you being seated.
We do have a very efficient air-conditioning system in Monty’s, however, the UK’s mini heatwave coincided with the air-con control panel failing and having to be replaced.
I am sorry you felt that the table of four was too small for your party.
I believe that your menu choices were the Thai Crispy Duck which has been the best selling starter in Monty’s since we opened in 2003, priced at £8.50, and Half a Grilled Cornish Lobster, served with triple cooked chips, asparagus and rocket salad and hollandaise sauce, priced at £22.00. Whilst I would agree that these prices are not cheap, I strongly believe that they offer great value for money. With members of your party also having half a dozen Colchester Rock Oysters, two bottles of Errázuriz Sauvignon Blanc finished off with desserts and coffee, the total bill was nearly £200, yes this is more than one would probably set out to pay for a ‘casual meal’, however, for the dishes and wines chosen, I feel that it is a fair and reasonable price.
Jeremy Shaw

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Lively smart bar leading into dinning area but also stylish. Two course lunch menu at £12.50 very good and service and staff spot on.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We dined here on a busy Friday night and although our table was booked for 9.15, we were seated by 8.30. We were given the option to start early and I believe if we had wanted to keep our booking of 9.15, this would have been fine. The staff were friendly, cheerful and polite which is something I regard as important when eating out. Our food was served promptly too which given how busy the restaurant was, really impressed us. The food was utterly delicious and didn't cost the earth either. Our total bill for two starters and two mains, a bottle of wine, two glasses of champagne and tips was less than £50. Sadly we didn't get as far as sampling the cocktail bar...there is always next time!

Reviewed 13 May 2012

I recently went to "Monty's" for a birthday celebration.
I had beef with french fries and rocket as a main meal. Usually I am not to keen on beef, but it was lovely and tender and I loved it.
For afters I had a brownie, which was divine and melted in my mouth.
I will be back!

Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

Excellent food, tad expensive but you get good quality food for what you pay, would deffinately go there again made our anniversary feel very special, amd the staff were very welcoming prior to arrival. Very happy experience would go there again.