“A lovely restaurant - gorgeous food that's is great value for money”
Review of Armagnac Restaurant - CLOSED

Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A lovely restaurant - gorgeous food that's is great value for money”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My partner and I visited this delightful restaurant for our anniversary on a Saturday evening. The food was gorgeous and we will definitely be returning, we had an both had an amazing beef main which was just to die for, i had goats cheese for starters which was delicious, my partner pigeon breast both of which were lovely - the pigeon breast was cooked to perfection. For desert i had creme brulee with home made shortbread and my partner had a cheese board- again both delicious. The wine choice was good - we wished there had been a chateau neuf du pap however we chose a 2009 beaujolais which was a great choice, so we were most happy! The staff were friendly and attentive and service was timed just right. To top it all the price was great too. If your looking for wonderful food that is great value delivered in a lovely friendly ambience I recommend you visit - we will definitely be returning!

• Visited April 2013

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Another visit, another excellent meal”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Armagnac for me is a great neighbourhood restaurant, not in the league of the champignons sausage or lumiere's of theirs world, but offers a much more interesting and enjoyable option than the many chain restaurants in cheltenham. Last night we had the pigeon breast, goat's cheese beignet and fish cake for starters, followed by calves liver, sausages and pork belly for mains. Wine list is limited but by good value. Restaurant was busy but not quite full on Saturday night.

• Visited April 2013
“Love it !!”
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

We've been a few times here and every time we have love service and yummy yummy food! I also bought my young 3yr old nephew with me and they were so accommodating (most places turn noses up at small children)! If you want a bargain def try their early dining menu!! Def try this place out and make ur own mind up :)

• Visited February 2013
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Terrible service! And no food, just bread”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We booked to eat first week of race week! They had no food left which was appalling, as most people had booked, but they clearly hadn't ordered enough food! We were left with only one option and there was only enough for 2 of our party, this meant my husband had to have a lunch time chicken dish!

The portions are small and the veg and bread is very over priced...

When we complained the veg and bread was removed... Very insulting as these don't cost them anything!

Our booking was also mixed up so we had to wait half an hour to be seated at no point were we made aware they had no food left, if we had we'd have gone else where!

I have never seen such small portions of a la carte! Eat before you visit, or you'll have to fill up on over priced bread!

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Lindsey M
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Very poor food for the price charged”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We went with friends to this restaurant. As we walked in we thought it looked cosy. The menu itself looked tempting. However when the food arrived anyone could have prepared the dishes. Certainly they did not look as they had been prepared by a qualified chef. The starter - a chicken pate was barely visible, more a decoration on the plate. I ordered boef bourgignon. It was a dreary beef stew in a soup bowl with a spoon of very creamy mash potato in the middle. The cubes of beef were dried out after obviously having been for some time in the oven without a covering over the saucepan. The sauce was bland. One assumes this casserole is cooked in red wine. however I certainly could not taste it. I tried putting some olives which we'd ordered as extras into the stew to make it more interesting. For the price this was appalling. My friend ordered sea bass. It was boringly presented and again a simple cook might have prepared this for the family at home. Presentation on the whole was bad. Flavour was boring. Price exhorbitant. No vegetables were on offer at all. At that price why should we pay extra for green veges ? As for the wine prices. This was a complete rip off. We were so put off by the wine list we could not be bothered with wine. Why cant Cheltenham restaurants take more pride in what they offer. We have just returned from our travels abroad, and the meals we ate out in country we visited 6000 miles away, offered the most wonderful cuisine everywhere we went. We could not fault one meal. They dont make a thing of it, they dont charge rip off prices. What they serve is always exceptional, and reasonably priced. Cheltenham restaurantuers ought to travel a bit more and learn from places abroad. I dont believe this is genuine French cooking either. Chefs in France would be ashamed.

• Visited March 2013