“Attentive service and lots to eat!”

Indus Tandoori Restaurant
Ranked #139 of 477 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$25 - US$33
Cuisines: Indian, Balti
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 1 July 2014

As part of a large party, I was very impressed with the service and the flexibility of accommodating us - the mixed selection of starters,for instance, was just right. Some dishes were a different take on the usual - that was good as they turned out better! For me, though, there was just too much ... don't eat so much at the start if you want to give it justice.

1  Thank JXX18

Reviewed 15 June 2014

£9.95 for an "eat as much as you want" buffet is cheap I wouldn't return to the Indus if it were only a fiver. Unlike the Everest in Cheltenham the staff seemed quite unfriendly (apart from the waitress), possible because we chose the buffet.
Unlike the Everest, which is only a little more expensive, we had to pay for poppadoms, nan bead, chutney etc and any pudding. That alone adds another £5 per head. Presentation was only ok. The food containers didn't have the convenient pivot lids but those which you had to remove completely and then put back. Bits of paper with hand written biro identified each item but half were unreadable due to food being slopped on them. No item was actually hot with most only being luke warm which can only make you wonder whether the items were cooked earlier and not fully re-heated or had just been left there for some time with the under heaters unlit. Anyway it's the first time I have experienced prawn curry with no prawns or chicken massala without the chicken! The massala was later refreshed with a few more pieces of chicken but I never saw a prawn and even the lamb curry was very mean in lamb content. The lamb wasn't particularly tender either. The masalla was sweeter than a Korma!
One of my party of 4 asked for a clean plate which also brought displeasure from the waiter who told him to re-use his existing plate.
Given the bill we told the waiter that the food was relatively cold to which he remarked "no problem". Clearly no problem to him at all - he probably intended to do nothing about it especially as there were many customers enjoying their full price menu.
I treat these buffets as an indication as to what I'll get when I return for a more relaxing a la carte menu. I will not return ti the Indus!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Only just discovered how good The Indus restaurant is! Walking in is like walking into India! Bright & colourful The food is excellent! Good selection, high quality, presentation, taste lovely and hot (in heat) service is very attentive, value for money can't wait to go again xx

1  Thank Sun_shy_nne1
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately gone down in my estimation, food was bland and cold, popadoms were greasy and with no one else in the restaurant on a Saturday night we asked for two tables to be pushed together and they moaned!! Not good enough!!

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely meals for all of us. Presented well and tasted even better!
Price not bad for an Indian meal too!
Staff were perfectly pleasant.
My only feedback is on space. There's not enough of it to actually enjoy your meal comfortably - maybe just some slightly bigger tables would have made for a perfect evening.