“sunday buffet”

Ranked #110 of 440 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$25 - US$33
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Fusion
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“sunday buffet”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

having eaten at indus quite a few times ,i thought yay buffet .DO NOT BOTHER........for a place as well established as indus I have to ask myself why they would sully their reputation .the "buffet" area is so tiny no more than 2 people can be in there ,the metal handles on the food tray lids were so hot ,waiter didny even try to rectify (napkin tied round handle ????quite simple ,but better than burnt fingers) , cold food ,prawn pathia the prawns were like bullets...meat samosas were lovely ,shame they ran out after providing about 10 (for all diners )can understand why waiters were soooooooo miserable ,they must feel quite embarrassed......and we werent allowed to use different plates ..my advice??? pay the extra 4 quid and go to the spice lodge on a sunday .

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank Liz G
MrAlam, Owner at Indus Tandoori Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 October 2014
Thank you for your feedback in regard to sunday buffet. We are changing the different sorts of area which are disputed for sunday buffet. For instances, we are now providing the more plates, laminated food menu (MS word) and so on. We will take extra care for Sunday Buffet as soon as possible.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“not great at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

had a take away last night for my daughters birthday with her in laws as well as myself and husband..
Tiny bits of plastic and all sorts of alien objects in the lamb shank. Almost choked on one sharp piece! The Poppodums tasted as though they had been cooked in dirty oil with a really nasty after taste that hit the back of the throat
The Chicken tikka (without the marsala sauce) has always been a reddish colour when I have had it before, but this was boiled chicken, sliced with onions and pepper and not what I expected, it tasted nice. Onions bajis were dry on the inside and over cooked on the outside.
one of us had tikka marsala, but she said she wouldn't go there again. I'm sure this might have been a bad day for them as my son in law recommended it and wanted to go there as he'd had some lovely take-aways from there.. for me and the other 5.. its a HUGE thumbs down and never to return..
wish I had taken a photo now!

• Visited July 2014
“Attentive service and lots to eat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

As part of a large party, I was very impressed with the service and the flexibility of accommodating us - the mixed selection of starters,for instance, was just right. Some dishes were a different take on the usual - that was good as they turned out better! For me, though, there was just too much ... don't eat so much at the start if you want to give it justice.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jean W
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Even for a cheap buffet this was poor.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

£9.95 for an "eat as much as you want" buffet is cheap I wouldn't return to the Indus if it were only a fiver. Unlike the Everest in Cheltenham the staff seemed quite unfriendly (apart from the waitress), possible because we chose the buffet.
Unlike the Everest, which is only a little more expensive, we had to pay for poppadoms, nan bead, chutney etc and any pudding. That alone adds another £5 per head. Presentation was only ok. The food containers didn't have the convenient pivot lids but those which you had to remove completely and then put back. Bits of paper with hand written biro identified each item but half were unreadable due to food being slopped on them. No item was actually hot with most only being luke warm which can only make you wonder whether the items were cooked earlier and not fully re-heated or had just been left there for some time with the under heaters unlit. Anyway it's the first time I have experienced prawn curry with no prawns or chicken massala without the chicken! The massala was later refreshed with a few more pieces of chicken but I never saw a prawn and even the lamb curry was very mean in lamb content. The lamb wasn't particularly tender either. The masalla was sweeter than a Korma!
One of my party of 4 asked for a clean plate which also brought displeasure from the waiter who told him to re-use his existing plate.
Given the bill we told the waiter that the food was relatively cold to which he remarked "no problem". Clearly no problem to him at all - he probably intended to do nothing about it especially as there were many customers enjoying their full price menu.
I treat these buffets as an indication as to what I'll get when I return for a more relaxing a la carte menu. I will not return ti the Indus!

• Visited June 2014
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very authentic felt like was in India”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Only just discovered how good The Indus restaurant is! Walking in is like walking into India! Bright & colourful The food is excellent! Good selection, high quality, presentation, taste lovely and hot (in heat) service is very attentive, value for money can't wait to go again xx

• Visited May 2014