“excellent curries”
Review of Curry Corner

Curry Corner
Reserve with OpenTable
Curry Corner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 446 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$27 - US$91
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Family run award winning authentic Bangadeshi restaurant serving delicious home cooked food cooked with fresh spices and finest local and exotic ingredients to traditional and innovative recipes. Shamsul and Saleha Krori opened Curry Corner in 1977. This is a longstanding locals favourite. The innovative menu has won critical acclaim from all corners including Gordon Ramsay's The F Word Best Indian Restaurant on Channel 4AWARDSMichelin Guide 2014 (Only Indian restaurant in Gloucestershire to be listed)Britains Finest Indian Restaurant 2013Winner Cotswold Life Restaurant of the YearMENU HIGHLIGHTSLamb Shank Masala "exquisite flavours better tan in India" Gordon RamsayMonkfish in Saffron Cream CurryGarlic Orange DuckHomemade decadent desserts
Chania Town, Greece
“excellent curries”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Having just thoroughly enjoyed a splendid evening of curry indulgence, I begin to wonder if some reviewers here went to the same place as we did, or even if they had some dark motive for their negativity.

Our visit was at peak time on Saturday evening. The place was jam packed and we were glad we had taken the trouble to reserve a table. Service was understandably a bit slow, but our waiter apologised profusely and explained that they were down one colleague. When it came, the mixed taster starter was freshly cooked and delicious - the 48 hour shredded lamb samosa was the best I've ever eaten.

The mains were also wonderful; I chose Hot Chilli Lamb, while my partner is still raving about the Tikka Makahni, with lamb. The meat was soft and succulent, and the mildly spiced sauce of almonds and tomatoes was sweet and almost addictive.

My only criticism of the food was the lamb in my main course, which was a little chewy compared to the Makahni.

The bill was not cheap, but not unreasonable - several reviewers have mentioned the 'optional' 10% service charge that's automatically added - this is simply wrong, and should be stopped. But the service was ok despite the pressure they were under. we certainly left contented and will return.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank DavidJDowse

Chester, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service, underhand billing. :(”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had a wonderful meal. All throughout the service was polite, attentive, efficient. We were very happy up to that point.

We were very chilled out and when presented with our bill (we hadn't called for it). We had a quick look at the bill, paid and asked for them to break a £20 so we could leave a tip. We left a 12% tip, which was accepted. We then had a think about the total on the bill and asked to see a copy as none was left. A 10% service charge had already been added to the bill without our knowledge, meaning we had inadvertently given a 23% tip.

The service deserved at least a 10% tip, and the food was wonderful. The point is that we should have been told that a 10% tip had been added when we gave our 'other' tip. In order to avoid this type of confusion the practice of adding tips automatically should stop. I appeal to the owners to do this immediately. It really leaves a bitter taste and detracts from all the good things, of which there are many.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank griangraf2001
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pretty good but with room for improvement”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Having just briefly heard about the restaurants quality we thought to give it a try. The food was very well cooked and tasty, especially the lamb we had. I was missing a bit of an edge on the taste of my fish main sauce.

We came in at the beginning of the evening and hence it wasn't filled yet. The service was always there when needed and orders came quickly.

The thing what let this place down is the time before we left. First we got presented the recommendation book before getting reminded to kindly leave a review on tripadvisor (what is okay). However straight after that the bill came without mentioning that a service charge of 10% was already applied. I first paid approx. another 15% on top before we encountered what was wrong and the staff apologised.

From our point of view this last steps looked a bit like forced on us. They should leave it up to the customers what tip they want to give and then mention tripadvisor. The food should speak for itself.

1 Thank HansTheWurst
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Even better than Birmingham's Balti Triangle”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Living as I do near to the famous Balti Triangle in Birmingham, I think I know a good curry when I taste one. I was staying with my wife for one night only in a lovely guest house called Badger Towers and I asked our host there if he could recommend a good local restaurant. He suggested Curry Corner which coincidentally was just down the road from the newly painted Banksy artwork showing the GCHQ spies recording the communications taking place in a real backstreet phone box. Ten minutes walk and we were there, joining the queue to take photos of each other in the said phone box. Curry Corner was literally just around the corner and was indeed on the corner of a narrow and tightly packed, modest residential street. I'd read quotes in Badger Towers' literature which were accredited to Gordon Ramsey and Michael Palin, both of whom had pretty much declared that Curry Corner served the best curry in the universe. You're probably asking "What do they know?" and if you are then you'll just have to trust me when I say that Curry Corner serves the best curry in the universe - my universe, at least (Birmingham etc). I wonder if Banksy ever ate there?

• Visited April 2014
“Can't wait to go back.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I'd been meaning to try Curry Corner for some time and finally got round to it. All I can say is that I wish I'd got round to it sooner and am already looking forward to my next visit. The food was superb, a blend of traditional Indian dishes with some unique creations, all underpinned with some great ingredients not often seen in this style of cooking. The restaurant is smart and well presented. It is a little dearer than other Indian restaurants in town, but prices are very competitive compared to restaurants that cook and present to this standard. Service was friendly and efficient, and everything we ordered was delicious. I especially recommend the chilli lamb thali, the lamb was succulent and the spicing and seasoning was sublime. The array of accompanying side dishes were also superb. I can't wait to go back and try some more dishes.

• Visited April 2014