“Wouldn't rush back” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #311 of 440 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$24 - US$26
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stonehouse, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't rush back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Funnily enough I had never been to a slug and lettuce before, but after hearing good things about the chain's other restaurants, me and a friend decided to give the Cheltenham one a go for lunch on Saturday. The restaurant has a nice, stylish interior and we were greeted as soon as we walked though the door, despite it being very busy. The service at first was very quick and efficient. We both went for the steak sandwich and we both found the steak very chewy and gristly, not a good cut of meat. It also seemed a bit thick to have on a sandwich, perhaps a thinner sandwich steak would have been better. I would have given this feedback to the waitress if she had asked if everything was OK when she collected the plates, but she didn't, even though I had left 1/2 of my sandwich. Once we had been served our coffees at the end of the meal the service seemed to stop, and we spent what seemed like ages trying to get someones attention for the bill, even though the restaurant was now quiet. Overall I found the food a bit of a let down and the overall experience average to poor. I won't be rushing back, especially when Cheltenham has so many good places to eat.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Worcester, United Kingdom
“Noisy but nice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We called in here recently on a swift trip to Cheltenham. It was very full as it was a Monday which is popular due to being "50% off" day. The food was hot, plentiful and adequate - my chicken pie was delicious but the chips were warm and a bit soggy. The most annoying thing though was that we sat near the kitchen door which for some reason banged and scraped every time it opened and closed - which it obviously did constantly. It was awful and needs sorting out. So tip - avoid kitchen side of restaurant if you have a choice (we didn't as it was so full). Overall though - good quick meal and we'll go again.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Very good atmosphere ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

I was here with 10 other friends and we had rounds of cocktails and drinks . The atmosphere was great the bar person was helpful and did a good job. Over all clean and tidy place , would go back to have food too.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Expected much better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I had a terrible fish and chip lunch here. I left most of it, which to be fair, the waitress spotted and offered myself and my guest a free coffee to compensate. Good service, poor food.

Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Really surprised, lovely place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Although small on the outside, inside it was lovely. Waiter service and after a while we decided to have a snack which was delivered quickly piping hot. Usual Slug and Lettuce set up and it seemed quite popular with tourists and locals alike.

Visited January 2014