“Poor food and a complaint that was handled badly”
Review of Slug and Lettuce

Slug and Lettuce
Ranked #314 of 446 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$24 - US$27
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Poor food and a complaint that was handled badly”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I went to this Restaurant on their half price Mondays, I ordered their parma-ham wrapped chicken breast and asked for no mushrooms. When my meal arrived I thought that it was a very small meal as it only consisted of one dry chicken breast with a piece of parma ham on it, a small handful of salad, a couple of peppers and some regular fries. I ate it anyway and said everything was fine when the member of staff asked if it was ok as I just assumed that was what the meal was supposed to look like and I finished it in about 5 minutes as it was so small. It wasn't until my friend complained about her food which was completely overcooked and lacking ingredients that I looked back through the menu to look at what I ordered. My meal was supposed to be chicken breasts wrapped in parma ham with asparagus, a chive sauce, sweet potatoes and watercress salad. That's four things that they didn't include in my meal. I complained to a member of staff that I assumed was the manager he offered to bring out the asparagus which I thought was pointless as I'd already eaten my meal. He also said he couldn't offer any discount as it was already half price mondays and that when he came round to check on us we said it was fine. In the end I ended up having to pay for a meal where half the ingredients were missing. I won't be eating here again, not because of the bad food but because of the bad way it was handled.

• Visited June 2014

Reading
“No Service! No Food!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We had arranged a works night out to which I was running late. Our table was booked for 7.30 and my colleagues informed staff myself and another person were going to be late. Despite this both our meals were brought out with everyone else's and we hadn't even arrived at this point!

I arrived at 8.20pm and found everyone else had eaten. When I asked if I could have my meal the staff member told a colleague that my meal had been sat on the hotplate for over an hour.. This was an outward lie as the party had only finished eating 20mins before I arrived. The staff member also pointed out that I could still eat the food if I wanted. This meal was £14.00 and I was not offered a replacement the team member never even spoke to me directly.

To top all this off the meal that I never ate, saw or was offered was on the bill at the end and out of wanting to prevent embarrassment to the friend who's leaving do it was I did not make a fuss and paid £14.00 for a whole lot of nothing!!!!

Won't be returning or recommending this restaurant to anyone. Staff need customer RETENTION training!

• Visited June 2014
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Typical chain pub”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Not the prettiest place to eat but we had a decent meal there last year. It seemed a little grubby. Ordered chicken and beef pie. It came remarkably quickly- not a good sign. Beef pie/potatoes were stodgy and the chicken still pink in the middle!!!! Staff attended pretty pronto when I pointed this out but not very tasty visit all round.

Visited May 2014
“Good value, good food and good service”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We visited on a busy Saturday. I had a rack of ribs which was excellent. The service was very good and the bill smaller than expected.

Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
“Extremely disappointed”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Arrived for evening drinks, got the first round at 10, went to order the second round at 10 40.... "Sorry no orders, we have finished" - no warning whatsoever. They had missed out on 5 sets of customers in 10 minutes but refused to take orders. Putting chairs on tables and shutting up before 11 pm. Swearing and on phones during service. Wetherspoons easily better.

• Visited April 2014