“if you cant even cook frozen chips, get another job”
Review of Slug and Lettuce

Slug and Lettuce
Ranked #310 of 466 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$25 - US$28
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2014

situated next to the theatre, we decided to pop in to eat before the show. greeted by a fog of smoke by the front door. was welcomed by a sign that said, take a seat. we will be with you shortly. 15 mins later, went looking for someone. had a simple pie chips and peas.......and couldnt even get that right. cold chips, peas still frozen. that was enough for me. had to eat the pie as was hungry and had to go. when we left, the table next to us still had not been served and they came in at the same time. mind you, it was busy with 3 tables occupied!

5  Thank thestig1970

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

What a difference. Called in for a quick lunch today.
Chilli with a side of chips served on warm tableware with a glass of house white.
Staff attentive.And yes Salisbury i was asked if i wanted a pud...so this should be a standard....
An enyoyable experience...

Reviewed 14 August 2014

So we went in on a Wednesday lunch time between 12:30-12:45. Quickly seen, usually great experience so why this review. Because I ordered a ceasar salad and I don't know what I got but it was not worth the 9 pounds i paid and leaves me confused over how a salad can be so wrong when so simple. For starters I sent back the first one because the leaves were brown and not one or two but over half and considering that when it arrived you couldn't see the leaves very well because they had decided to scatter a few leaves on the plate and then cover with large pieces of "croutons" and huge pieces of cheese smoothered in dressing with the chicken dotted about. Whilst it was being changed - which the waitress was really appologetic about - i checked out the menu to see what it said which was cos lettuce, croutons, parmesan, dressing with grilled chicken. So my next salad comes out and here are the left over bread torn up and re-toasted croutons and now we have cheese slice thick hunks of cheese and the grilled chicken taken from my last plate and green leaves cut into thin slices. You know the way lettuce is cut up for Macdonalds - that's what is scattered over my plate. Scattered cos again you can't really see it. I hate complaining and I think the two waitresses are running around like they're in the olympics and my partner hates complaining more than me and I think come on how bad can it be. I eat it or rather i eat the chicken which is now dry and tough and the lettuce leaves which are now not crisp because their drenched in very strong dressing and i leave the croutons cos honestly how can you eat ones that size and you can cut them cos they are brittle so you get a plate of crumbs and I leave the cheese because parmesan is strong and i really can't be bothered to try and shave a bit of the cheese slices i have and besides i've already mistook a slice for a bit of chicken and nearly choked on it. I pay feeling like I should shout how can you not do a salad properly, what part of salad don't you get? Where was the actual salad part? But I don't because I think it's me over acting. Except as we're about to leave i look over at another table who are getting their food and notice a similiar beige plate with beige food being put down in front of one of the girls. And I see her do the face I did when I saw my food, that slightly bewildered disappointed look I wore. And then she does what I did and looks at the menu with a frown and then looks down at her plate and then I hear her turn to her friends and say "no i've had it before but it usually has more lettuce and it's ...." I realise it's not me it's absolutely awful meal which just makes you think how can anyone get it so wrong. 4 ingredients and every one wrong. And to be clear I wrote to Slug and Lettuce and complained and heard nothing so I can only assume they think it's fine. So if you want to go somewhere that can't even put a salad on a plate then here is the place for you. Pay over the top for half of a deconstructed cheese, chicken sandwich with dressing.

3  Thank jemars
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My chicken schnitzel was dry, slightly burnt around the edges and really quite tasteless, it came with the smallest handful of chips and a very small amount of greenery. When I asked if that was all the chips the waiter said that's how it comes, bearing in mind it is one of the most expensive items on the lunch menu. My friend had nachos and specified all sauces to be on the side and only cheese on the nachos. It took three attempts to get it right. We all had desserts, and, yes we were all disappointed. Although it is a pub chain it is normally better than this.

3  Thank Andrew T
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Monday is 50% off all food day which is what enticed us to go and eat at the Slud and Lettuce. I had Steak with a Peppercorn sauce and my daughter chose the Flatbread with Parma Ham and Watercress, both came with chips. Desserts were on a 241 basis so I chose the Millionaires Meringue and my daughter chose the Cookie Cup explosion.
The food was lovely - just two things that could be improved upon, I wasn't offered a steak knife with my steak and the tomato ketchup on the table was empty so we had to ask for both. Other than than considering we were warned that there was a 30 minute wait, our food came very quickly and was served with a smile