“Good food”
Review of The Spice Lodge

The Spice Lodge
Reserve with OpenTable
The Spice Lodge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 473 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$20 - US$34
Cuisines: Indian, Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Located in the former old mansion house on Montpellier Drive, Spice Lodge- Cheltenham's premier Pan Asian restaurant - provides you with a new and exciting taste of Asia. The restaurant is divided into separate areas and dining rooms, each having its own unique style and atmosphere, giving you and your guests as much privacy as you like. We are also able to provide the following services: conferences, wedding receptions, banquets, private parties.
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Went on a Thursday evening with a large group. Always enjoy the food at the spice lodge and service is great. Had a really nice curry and starter, large and tasty portions as always.

Will be back no doubt later in the year.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Visited for an event night, an Elvis impersonator. He was good and had some cracking one-liners. The food however....
I wanted to research a bit about what to expect on the evening and the website had no information about this forthcoming event. We were given a set menu and as a fusion restaurant, we were served a mix of thai prawn crackers and poppadoms with very small dishes of accompaniments. The starters were ok however the main course was really really disappointing. The food was actually diabolical. Watered down lamb jalfrezi and a very watered down tinned tomato tasting chicken tikka masala plus a watery but ok tasting thai green chicken curry. Vile trying to co-ordinate these different tastes with just one plate. We were offered a choice of frozen pudding quite typical of the type available in many Thai and Indian restaurants. For £25 (including entertainment) I just felt ripped off because the quality of the food was so poor. They'd clearly tried to stretch out the quantities as much as they could. I had expected a reasonable quality of food. It was also interesting watching the staff merrily offering alcohol to all yet resisting leaving a water jug on the table - perhaps a ploy? If so then a pat on the back for the upselling opportunity however, isn't it courteous to have water on the table? We asked for and were given several jugs of water as we were seated which they cleared away with the mains with water only available as a top up from the waiters.

I've asked other people about their experiences - two were couples and one had a team do at the restaurant and all said the food was mediocre. I'll not be returning.

3  Thank Jacqueline M
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Not great at writing reviews but I will give it a go. I went down for the first time with 3 of my friends. What can I say....simply the best food I have ever tasted. Please please please open a branch in London so I can take my high end clients with me and win lots of business. See you all soon

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Visited spice lodge last night for my better halfs birthday , we arrived at 7:30 pm for our reservation at 8pm for pre drinks in the bar, immidatly went to the bar to order drinks and was asked to take a seat and someone would be right with us , after waiting a further 10 mins we where given menus to choose our food and had to ask for drinks,one of which was a kier royale and told couldnt have that unless we ordered a bottle of champagne, when we where seated our starters arrived at 8:15 pm and was very nice but again our drinks where empty and had to ask for wine menu without being offered, we then had to wait until 9:40 pm for our main to arrive in which time no one asked us if our drinks needed filling, again the food was very nice but the service was dissapointing, have had takeaways from here in the past and only had to wait 15 mins, so feel this gets preferance over sit down customers, at one point we asked a waitress for drinks and was told she was not trained to take orders and waited 10 mins to be served, so on a positive food was very good service needs to be looked at therefore if we were to eat from here again would be a takeaway.

1  Thank Carl B
spicelodge11, General Manager at The Spice Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

We are sorry to read your review of our restaurant, most people find our staff extremely courteous. Please do come back to our restaurant again so that we can demonstrate what our restaurant has to offer and rectify the previous experience that you had.

Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Great team ... Nothing was too much trouble .. Great food , great service , great atmosphere. Will have to return for a 'normal' meal to check prices ...