“WHAT WONDERFUL FOOD AND WE WERE ABSOLUTELY SPOILT FOR CHOICE”
Review of GIANNI

GIANNI
Ranked #52 of 495 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Little independent Italian restaraurat!!! established on 1996!!!
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We recently went to Cheltenham and our friends took us to Gianni's for dinner, which is one of their regular restaurants. The food was absolutely wonderful and what a choice! I could happily work my way through the menu. I started with the Seafood Salad which was like a main meal - it was huge and delicious - I didn't know how I would be able to eat the main course after that, however, I persevered and had grilled Swordfish which was succulent and tasty. My husband started with the Whitebait followed by Spaghetti Bolognese and our friends had Soup of the Day (which was Minestrone) followed by Chicken Breast in Red Wine with Mushroom Sauce and Serloin Steak cooked in Garlic, Herbs, Red Wine, Olives, Capers & Tomato Sauce. There were masses of accompanying vegetables. I couldn't get over how generous all the portions were. Unbelieveable! For dessert (although I have to say we were really pushing it as we were all so full) I went for the Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Sauce, my husband chose the Profiterolls and our friends selected the Panna Cotta with Chocolate Sauce and the Tartuffo Classico. The wine list is very good as is the service and buzzy atmosphere. This place is a must if you are ever in Cheltenham but be warned - you will have to let your belt out a notch at the end of the evening. Do check out the menu and book in advance. We went on a Saturday night and it was packed. Bon appetite!

1  Thank jacquiecapri

Reviewed 26 May 2014

A small place tucked away round the corner from the Promenade with its fancy high end shops, this simple little Italian offers good food efficiently served and at a very reasonable price. Suggest sticking to the pasta/lasagne basics - which we polished off short of licking the plate - but noticed other tables who'd gone for more elaborate meat and fish dishes werent 100% happy. It is very popular and gets very crowded - so book in advance. The after dinner Italian coffee was a little disappointing, but we were so stuffed by then that it really didnt matter.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We enjoyed a family dinner at Gianni's. Authentic Italian, lots of choice on specials board for starters and mains. Best to book a table as gets busy, its fairly compact in the main dining area. Prices are okay, expect to pay £11 to £15 for a main. Food was tasty.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

My family and friends have been coming here for years and anyone Ive taken there has said they would go back for the authentic Italian meals and ambience, the service is very good especially the owner Mario who just can't do enough for you. The food is out of this world !

1  Thank GavinTimony
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Having family in Italy, my expectations are very high when it comes to Italian restaurants. On a recent trip to Cheltenham my husband and I sat in our hotel and stumbled upon Gianni on google after scouring the city for 'no chain' Italian restaurants. The reviews looked great, the menu looked like a decent trattoria and it was only a few minutes walk from the main promenade so we decided to book.

We arrived on a Thursday night very worried we would be the only diners, however we were pleasantly surprised to find it rather busy! We were welcomed with a typical Italian hospitality and given menus and the specials read out.

The food portions were huge, but the quality did not lack at all. We couldn't believe how fantastic the quality was in England, I have only eaten this well in Italy. The service was brilliant throughout. We had two courses, plus wine and limoncello afterwards and it came to just over £50 which is brilliant value for money.

The only negative I have was the limoncello was very chemically tasting and obviously the brought in 'limonce' brand you can buy in the supermarkets. Not great for Italians when they could make it themselves easily.

Would recommend to anyone visiting Cheltenham. Avoid Jamie's - eat at Gianni's instead!