“Good...but,”

The Talbot Inn Cirencester
Ranked #10 of 31 Cirencester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed at the Talbot as our home base to the Cotswolds and Bath on a recent visit. Perfect location, great customer service; BUT:
1. The beds are in DIRE NEED of being replaced - do NOT expect 'comfort' - we had 3 rooms, and all 3 were the same - springs that poke and prod, pillows way too soft
2. could be a magnificent place with some improvements to bathrooms, reception/guest area - it was clean and rooms were made up each day (which was not expected)
3. It promises hair dryers in every room....not! Rooms are small (as expected) wifi was hit and miss
4. Free breakfasts were nice, but very ordinary..nothing 'special' relative to the menu
5. Easy walk to city shops, interesting city, however, everything closes early and nothing opens early-
6. WONDERFUL hosts (Ann and husband) They seemed to make up for all the low points.

Room Tip: We stayed in mid-july and did not find the warm temperature to be any problem in any of the rooms -
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I First visited the Talbot 2 years ago now, and still find myself returning frequently. Even if your only on a day visit to Cirencester the real ales and home cooking are enough to tickle the tongue and warm the heart. On my most recent stay I was pleased to see it's received a homely uplift, while keeping it's pretty timber features. shabby chic inspired rooms and a tasty brand spanking new menu, nom nom :p. The service is great with Ann + Dave offering a great laugh and atmosphere with every stay. - Note wifi a little patchy but Spot on in the bar :) So thanks again Talbot.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank ArronH37
Reviewed 17 June 2014

When you first see the buildings and grounds it looks a bit overgrown and old but after being there a couple of nights you find that it adds to the super feel of this old inn and stable block. I would say don’t let this put you off it is very nice.
Arrived around 18:00 and was met by Ann the landlady who showed me my room and made sure all was OK. Unfortunately the Wi-Fi was not brilliant in the room so Ann moved me no problem into another one where the Wi-Fi was fine. To be fair the web site does say which rooms have Wi-Fi so make sure you check when booking. The room was of good size and felt very homely. It is an old building nicely decorated with thick walls which helped make it very quiet although I think it is quiet anyway even though on a main road in to town. The doors internal, external and windows are wooden but fit in perfectly with the age and style of the building. It was June but one night it was a bit chilly so I wondered if the heating would be on so I turned the thermostat and yep it came on and soon took the chill off very quickly.
The food is super. It is obvious that it is all cooked fresh. I had steak pie and vegetables a couple of nights and haddock and chips another. It was all freshly cooked and plenty of it, no portion control here. Breakfast was also cooked to order and although I did not have a cooked breakfast I saw it plus chatted to other guests with only good things said about it. Food again made it feel like home. I don’t think it will suite everybody but I cannot really explain why. It is just lovely, homely and just what I like.
The Talbot gets a good recommendation from me and would not hesitate to stay again and enjoy the hospitality of the owners, Ann, David and others. Thank you.

Room Tip: Check about WiFi if you want it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Glamorgans
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We took a two day tour to the Cotswolds and had the fortune of staying at the Talbot. Our room was downstairs and had a large bed and nice private bath. We chose to eat dinner and had a quiet but quaint evening. Her steak and ale pie is marvelous. We woke to sunshine and sitting near flowers to start the day. The breakfast was huge and they were very accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Triangletravel
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights B&B and ate in the pub one night.
Ann and David are really good fun and can't do enough for you, usually with a grin from David. Breakfast are fresh and tasty and Ann is a very good cook.
We stayed in the Hayloft and it was very comfortable. Although on a street close to the town centre, we managed to sleep well with the window open on a Saturday night. It was a hot weekend.
The Talbot is quite close to the town centre, just a few minutes walk and you're there. The pub itself is quite interesting too, and the Arkells beer quite tasty.
All in all, highly recommended. We hope to return one day

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Not stayed here for a couple of years but was glad to return. The welcome is fantastic - a great cask beer on arrival! It seemed nothing was too much trouble for hosts David and Ann, and so it proved. The rooms are extremely comfortable - cosy and warm. Extra touches like bottled water were welcome. TV great. Bed comfortable.

All rooms are in an annex to the pub so not much noise. Private car park right outside the room - great.

Breakfast outstanding, as was my cooked to order evening meal, again nothing was too much trouble. I got the feeling of being a valued customer. Will definitely be back

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The room we stayed in at The Talbot Inn was beautifully presented and extremely comfortable, as well as being very private.
The inn itself felt very homely, being run by an extremely pleasant couple who couldn't do more to help.
We had breakfast, an evening meal and Sunday dinner at the inn, all of which were excellent.
My partner and I were both very impressed by the surroundings and the food, and the inn's close proximity to the centre of Cirencester made it perfect for a weekend stay.
We will definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2014