“We stopped for lunch here when on a Cotswold walk - so glad we did”
Review of Tunnel House Inn

Tunnel House Inn
Ranked #38 of 131 Restaurants in Cirencester
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The epitome of Cotswold charm, the Tunnel House Inn has the roaring fires and delicious food to warm you in the winter with a large garden to keep you occupied in the summer. Venture down the long track and you will find yourself in an enchanted and secluded spot.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It was a spectacular day - the day after Midsummer's day - and we decided to go for a walk from the village of Coates. Mrs Tiger and I are both getting on a bit and though 5 miles is easy for us, we were grateful to the landowners for taking such good care of the footpaths and in particular the easy gates between the fields. It's a fascinating part of England, rich in history and architecture.

The Tunnel House Inn is set where the old Thames and Severn Canal exits from a tunnel of 3490 metres in length - an amazing engineering achievement indeed. The inn is an attractive building in Cotswold stone. We only wanted a light lunch and a drink, and their menu offered us plenty of choice. We settled for the cheese and pickle sandwich and as the charming member of the bar staff assured me that it was a generous portion (it was) we asked if we might share one between two - no problem at all. Old Mrs Tiger had a large glass of Sauvignon Bland and I had a pint of one of their local ales - a rare treat for me as I can't manage beer as I once could, needing to work up a good thirst with a couple of miles of walking behind me.

Plenty of outside seating with spectacular views across the fields, and some nice shady seats and tables under umbrellas.

This is something we will certainly do again, and next time bring friends or family. I know my son will love it - he does like to get away from his home in London at the weekends, and we can't see too much of him and his lovely wife.

Prince_of_Ales, Owner at Tunnel House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Mr Tiger,

Thank you very much for your kind words and we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 12 June 2018

I have visited a few times now, and I have been very pleased with the food served - good portions, fresh, tasty, and reasonable value.

Prince_of_Ales, Owner at Tunnel House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

A TripAdvisor Member
Stonehouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

Visited recently for an evening meal. Lovely location, pleasant surroundings, and especially good place to eat/drink outside. Garden is very spacious indeed.

Menu looked interesting, but wasn’t particularly original. We both decided to try the homemade pies advertised on the board by the entrance and chose the Steak & Ale.
The service was very quick indeed. Quite a few customers present but thankfully it wasn’t busy.
The pies were tasty, but lacked meat and the meat inside wasn’t particularly chunky. Mushrooms inside were a welcome addition. Separate gravy provided also which was welcome as pie was quite dry, but did not seem to be same as used inside pie. One pie was perfectly hot, the other was just warm. The chips were truly amazing, highly recommended and very generous portions. Vegetables left a bit to be desired and didn’t look very fresh.
£13 seemed quite expensive and for similar money have had better meals elsewhere.

Prince_of_Ales, Owner at Tunnel House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Thank you very much for your feedback - we are always reviewing what we do and will definitely review the pies as we make them fresh ourselves and so can adapt the recipes as necessary. We are planning on introducing some more interesting and speciality pies very soon, watch this space.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

We have been here several times over the last year and have always found the food drinks and staff to be really excellent. I would have given it 5 stars apart from 2 small issues with the food we ordered 2 adult cheeseburgers and a Spivey veggie burger when they arrived only 1 of the cheeseburgers had anyvsalad in it and was missing an onion ring the veggie burger arrived with all of the above and I ordered 2 kids sausages and chips and we got 1 sausage and chips and 1 sausage and mash perhaps a bit more attantion to detail in the kitchen, apart from that the rest of the food including the desserts was all really nice well cooked and very hot. A very enjoyable visit sitting in the garden on a lovely day we will be coming back.

Prince_of_Ales, Owner at Tunnel House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Dear Pauline,

Thank you very much for your kind words, and my sincerest apologies for the mix up with your order. We will concentrate on this important matter over the course of our next training sessions with the staff.

Reviewed 6 May 2018

My partners Daughter booked a table last night for a belated birthday meal.We was a bit worried as we have had a couple of bad experiences here and vowed that we would not go back again. After a small hiccup with one of the starters not arriving the Manager took over. He was excellent, He compensated us immediately with complementary drinks and took the late starter from the bill. We had a lovely evening and nothing was to much trouble for him. The place has certainly improved and the food was excellent. We will definitely be back. Thank you for making it a lovely evening.

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your kind words, and I am delighted that you had a good dinner with us. I am sorry that there was a mix up, but am happy that the staff managed to rectify the error, it really pleases me to hear that the staff went the extra mile for you.

We look forward to seeing you again soon