“Excellent Meal”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
Llanymynech
“Excellent Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

We were staying in Cirencester overnight and had decided after a previous visit to The Fleece that we would go there for Dinner. It was a Sunday night and although busy, we had an excellent meal, wonderful wine. The staff were very pleasant and attentive.
Will be back again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Rebecca Smith - Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to us – I’m pleased that you enjoyed your meal here, and even more pleased that you will be coming to see us again! We’re just in the process of adding some lovely English wine to our already wonderful wine list, so that will give you an excuse to pop in! Thanks again, and hopefully we’ll see you soon.

Rebecca Smith - Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Fleece. It is a charming, good value hotel in the centre of Cirencester. It is extremely convenient for exploring the town. The staff were all delightful and very helpful and the overall service was excellent. We had a superior room which was large and very comfortable. It had been cleverly designed and there were luxurious touches.
Our only criticism was that the soundproofing is not very good and we could hear our neighbours. This was due to the building being old, the walls thin and would be difficult to rectify.
The included breakfast was very good, offering a wide choice of cooked food including full English and kippers. A hint - ask for Cappuccino coffee as opposed to filter as the latter is very weak! The restaurant is a bit of a madhouse as the hotel reception is at the bar - but this all adds to the charm!
The hotel car park is very restricted but they give a pass to the car park in the centre of town.
We can thoroughly recommend the Fleece as a delightful place to stay whilst exploring Cirencester and it's surrounding countryside

Room Tip: Go for a superior
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay with us. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that the staff offered you the wonderful service I know they give every day. I apologise that you found the rooms to be noisy – but you’re right, it would be difficult to rectify in such an old building, so I really appreciate your understanding. Thank you for your recommendation, and we hope to see you again soon!

Hertford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed here in June 2013, a weekend Away just for one night. We decided to take our small dog with us. We paid an extra £15.00 for this as an apparent cleaning fee so the room could be more thoroughly cleaned after our departure. We were allocated a dog friendly room, which was standard and does happen in most dog friendly hotels, but this room was far from clean. The carpet was dirty and stained, and there was loads of loose hairs gathered behind the pedestal basin in the bathroom. There was no toilet paper, just about ten squares left in the roll and no new roll, I had to ask for more. I'm not even sure the room had been cleaned from the previous guests. I appreciate It wouldn't be immaculate as it was a room only allocated to people travelling with dogs but this was really a terrible standard in terms of cleanliness sadly. The food in the restaurant was very good, as was the plentiful breakfast with loads of options. I wouldn't stay here again with a dog, as would be worried about having another dirty room, eventhough they charge £15 for the dog to stay, and this covers the apparent extra cleaning.!?!?

Room Tip: Not room 16 very noisy at the top of the stairs, and can hear the foot traffic at all hours, on sque...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us – firstly, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the issues you found with your room during your stay. I understand that this is completely unacceptable, and can assure you that this is not the standard that we operate to. I have spoken with housekeeping and we are reviewing our procedures and performing extra checks to ensure that this does not happen again. I would like it if you could contact me directly (Rebecca@thefleececirencester.co.uk) to discuss your review and how I can make amends for your stay with us. Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed at The Fleece at the end of June for my sister in laws wedding and asked for a nice suite for her to be able to get ready in. It was perfect for what we wanted and couldn't have asked for anything better. It was a perfect distance from wedding venue as well. The staff were so friendly as well and said how beautiful my sister in law looked in her wedding dress. They even asked us the next morning how was the wedding and said how wonderful we all looked in our dresses it just made the whole occasion even more special. Thank you to all the staff you were wonderful and we would def recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. We love having wedding parties here to stay with us – it’s great fun and a privilege to be involved in the Big Day! I will pass your lovely comments on to the team, who I know will be delighted to read them. Thank you again for your recommendation - we all hope you’ll come back to visit us again soon.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

First impressions include; Welcoming, hospitable, excellent food (lunch on arrival), nice room, very dog friendly. However our overall impression changed in the morning, and I will cover why later.
Parking at the hotel was difficult, small with tight spaces and none left when we arrived. They do give you a permit from 4pm for overnight, at a pay & display a few minutes walk away, so this was not an issue, and to be honest probably the safer option having seen one person try and reverse out of the car park!
What we liked was the menu, varied and can be downloaded on their website. The food serving times were quite long, which allows for a late lunch if you arrive in the afternoon. Staff were very friendly and a bowl of water was brought for our dog.
Our room was quite small, although that did not matter for just one night, but it was evident this room was for guests with dogs. There were quality toiletries in the bathroom, but just a shower, so if you want a bath, you may have to request this.
There was a good choice for Breakfast, but this is the only positive thing I can say about it. I had to wait several minutes for a cereal bowl, they could have offered to bring one over, but I was left loitering with another lady also waiting. The crispy bacon sandwich my husband asked for, arrived cold and not at all crispy. My salmon and scrammbled eggs should have been on brown toast, but arrived on a cold limp crumpet. the food was placed down without any explanation and no one asked if everyine was OK with breakfast - such a contrast to our meal the day before. First impressions count, but so do last, so will not be back

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us – I’m very pleased that you found the team to be so welcoming and hospitable. You’re absolutely right in that first impressions count and I’m sorry that your experience at breakfast was below standard – this is something that I have passed on to the team, and we will work together to address the issues mentioned in your review. I would love to welcome you back to the Fleece again sometime (and your lovely dog!) so if you would like to contact me directly, so that I can make arrangements for you and offer you a discount on your next stay. My email address is Rebecca@thefleececirencester.co.uk . We do have a pet friendly room with a bath, so I will ensure that you stay in this room next time! I look forward to hearing from you soon.

West Yorkshire England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is a quaint but modernised hotel. Parking is round the back and can be difficult to find (I had a vague recollection from 25 years ago which helped!). There is not a lot of it and, if you are wanting to leave early next morning, go for a space as far from the hotel entrance as possible - otherwise it can (and was) very difficult to reverse out, especially next to a big Mercedes!
We were well received by reception and conducted to our room. The room was a good size and well furnished although there was no safe. There was no air-conditioning and it was probably unreasonable to expect it but on a good day the room could have been oppressive. The room overlooked the main street of Cirencester (which was no problem to us until the buses started in the morning) but anyone sensitive to traffic noise might like to ask for a rear room (if there are any). The installation of secondary glazing might help. I reported to reception a problem with the toilet cistern which took a very long time to fill up.
Meals are served in the bar and in a separate dining room - where we were. In the bar they serve excellent beer (Lancaster Bomber) but oddly enough they don't stock Grand Marnier. When we were in the bar there was a dog which was allowed to crawl over the seats which I thought should have been a hygiene issue, particularly with meals being served. My meal was about satisfactory - the fishmonger's board which consisted of some excellent goujons of fish, rather tasteless prawns smothered in sauce and something else which I have forgotten. it was quite good without being in any way outstanding and my wife thought that the chips were frozen rather than fresh.
Every member of staff with whom we came into contact was first-rate, pleasant and friendly. And, commendably, they all seemed local! They were a credit to the hotel. In summary, we enjoyed our stay but there were too many of the jigsaw pieces missing to be able to give the hotel an unequivocal recommendation

Room Tip: Remember that several rooms overlook the busy main street and they probably do not have secondary do...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to read that you were not entirely happy with your stay, but I would like to assure you that all of your comments have been taken on board and are being addressed with the team. We have 28 bedrooms in total, some of which overlook the Market Place, and others are at the back of the hotel overlooking the Courtyard – next time you come to stay, please contact me directly so that I can ensure you have a more peaceful stay. I am pleased that you found the team to be so friendly and helpful - they’re our best asset! We hope to welcome you back to the Fleece again soon.

san francisco, california, usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

We can't say enough good things about the hospitality of everyone from the wait staff to the housekeepers to the bartender. We felt welcome every time we walked in the front door.

We stayed for a week in a very good size and pleasant room. Prices were extremely reasonable. Room was clean and was kept clean every night of our week long stay.

We enjoyed the restaurant/pub.

The town of Cirencester was charming, and was a great jumping off point for all the Cotswolds had to offer. We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank radiosound
Inns_0f_Character, Rebecca Smith - Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
I’m so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us – I’m very proud of the team we have here, they are definitely an asset to us! Cirencester is the perfect location for exploring the Cotswolds, and we hope you’ll be back again soon to visit.

Rebecca Smith - Manager and all the team at The Fleece.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barnsley
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to The Fleece at Cirencester? Share your experiences!