The Fleece at Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel(Cirencester)
US$139
  • Restaurant
US$147
The Old Brewhouse(Cirencester)(Great Value!)
US$141
The Old Bungalow Guest House(Cirencester)(Great Value!)
US$114
Stratton House Hotel(Cirencester)(Great Value!)
US$78
The Ivy House(Cirencester)(Great Value!)
US$128
Official Site
No. 12(Cirencester)
US$59
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Cirencester(Cirencester)(Great Value!)
US$59
Travelodge
The Golden Cross Inn(Cirencester)(Great Value!)
US$107
  • Restaurant
Barnsley House(Barnsley)
US$751
US$729
All reviewscharacter roomcar parkmarket placeeggs benedictold buildinghigh streetlovely atmospherelovely hotellunch timecentre of townno liftthe pubstandard roomvery pleasant stayfish and chipsbooked a tablestayed here for one night
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed here for three nights in July 2013 during the recent heatwave having only booked at short notice.The hotel itself is an old building and this showed itself as the room I was staying in unfortunately resembled a sauna as there is no air conditioning however the room itself was very well equipped.Another point of the old listed building is no double glazing however with the heat that was no problem as we kept the windows wide open this could give a light sleeper one or two problems however as there is a fair amount of noise from the square.The parking at the hotel is a bit tight however there is a large long stay car park behind the hotel which is free between 18.00 and 08.00.The real highlight of this hotel is the staff from the moment we checked in to leaving the staff the majority of who are quite young were nothing but extremely courteous and also highly efficient without doubt one of the best I have ever encountered.This was especially noticeable as on the Sunday of my stay there was a water cut in the town however bottled water was quickly supplied and a restricted menu laid on whilst all other catering establishments in town closed and at all times when we asked for information the staff we quick to find an answer.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the hotel as the front overlooks a very busy square with the council road sweeper a major culprit with noise in the early hours of the morning and with no double glazing this could be a problem for a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Inns_0f_Character, Rebecca Smith - Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. You’re absolutely right – due to the age of the Fleece, we are unfortunate to not have any double glazing. But I am glad that this did not hinder your stay. We have 28 bedrooms, all with different locations around the hotel – so we are able to rectify this situation by being able to offer quieter rooms to the light sleepers among us, or rooms with a view of the lovely Market Place. I’m so pleased that you were so impressed by our staff – they are our best asset, and we’re very proud of them all! I know they will be extremely pleased to read your review. They are a great team, and all work well together – which shows when we encounter problems such as the water outage, that nothing can stand in their way! We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

Great place to meet for lunch. Plenty of parking nearby. Situated on the main high street. We sat in the courtyard which had a lovely cool breeze blowing through.
The only downside came from younger staff who presented wine in a lipstick marked glass. This is a real pet hate if mine! If you are using a glass washer make sure the glass is clean and dried without watermarks or lipstick! They also 'ran out' of long sundae spoons meaning dessert ended up quite a messy affair.
On the whole the food was very good and the menu offered a good choice for carnivores and veggies.
Manager Graeme was a superstar and made the whole lunch enjoyable with friendly banter, just a shame the glass and spoon let them down.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent lunch visit. I know Graeme will be pleased to read your comments. I apologise for the glass & spoon issues, but thank you for bringing this to my attention – these issues have since been rectified, and I hope we can welcome you back to the Fleece again soon!

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We have visited this hotel back in December 2012 and were very impressed with the hotel in general. The room was spacious, clean and inviting. The food was fantastic as was the service by the waiting and reception staff. We were so impressed with this hotel that we have booked again for this year and are spending New Years Eve as well .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely comments – I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much that you’ve already booked for New Years! Last year’s event was a huge success, and we look forward to seeing in 2014 with you!

Reviewed 12 July 2013

I really enjoyed my 2 night stay here. It is an old renovated hotel so a bit quirky. It is on the Market Place so there is street noise. We stayed in Rooms 15 and 16. I don't know about other rooms. No lift which was a problem for my elderly mother-in-law but they kindly gave her the closest room. She had a king size bed and the room had a comfy chair with a lovely window seat. Mine was a queen with a large desk. My bathroom was on the street and if you are tall the shower would be too short. So perhaps enquire when booking about the shower height. It was hot. No air conditioning but a fan in each room. Decor was lovely and bed very comfy. Tea and coffee making facilities provided. No fridge. They gave us each a little thermos with real milk each day. Free wifi!!! Lovely staff. We ate in the restaurant each night and it was very good. Service everywhere was excellent. Lovely public rooms. Breakfast in the bar area where they place pretty red and white check tablecloths on the tables. The breakfast was wonderful because they offered variety - traditional English but also waffles, Eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs with salmon and real coffee. Parking in the back but very tricky to get out but you cannot park in the street overnight. Alternative parking available. Lovely courtyard for outside eating when the weather is good. This is not your typical British small hotel. It had its quirks but was a lovely place to stay in beautiful Cirencester. Would definitely return!

Room Tip: If you are bothered by street noise ask before you book!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent stay with us. I’m really pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and that all the little touches (like proper milk!) made your stay even more enjoyable. We like to look after our guests, so even though we don’t have a lift, we’ll do everything we can to make your stay comfortable. We hope we’re not your typical British hotel….hopefully we offer something a little bit different! Thank you again, and we hope to see you and your mother-in-law again sometime soon!

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Answer: When it is a Fleece Sandwich. At the Fleece a Sandwich consists of one slice of bread with filling piled on top plus a garnish or at least this was the case when I visited a few weeks ago. This is what they call an open Sandwich BUT the definition of a sandwich is: "two or more slices of bread with meat, jam etc between", the Oxford English Dictionary. On a recent visit to The Fleece for lunch I complained about what was put in front of me and I was told by the staff member that "it was an open sandwich" as if I didn't know what an open sandwich was. She then took it back for the chef to "bulk it out" which meant that I got a larger slice of bread with much the same filling on top; still not 2 slices. To keep me happy she gave me a serving of fries which was acceptable but having to complain was not ideal. Other than that I find the ambience at the Fleece very nice and I have been there for coffee many times and have never had a complaint. So I will go back but not for a sandwich!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments following your recent lunch visit. I’m sorry that you were not satisfied with your sandwich – since your last visit, we have changed our menus, and now offer a different variety of sandwiches on our lunch menu. I hope you will try them, and let me know what you think! Hope to see you again soon.