“Nice Hotel and ok place to eat”

The Fleece at Cirencester
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
London, England, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel and ok place to eat”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary, we chose a two night stay.

The hotel itself, is very nice, the service was efficient, friendly and approachable, good central location. The room was very clean , with everything we needed, bed was comfortable.

Breakfast was not as good, My husband ordered a paper on both days , one day he recieved it late, in fact he had to remind the staff that he had ordered one and on the second day he didn't recive one at all.

The food itself was a bit of a let down, the fry up was not very good, small portion and not very tasty but the eggs benedict we had on the second day was ok. The fruit from the breakfast buffet tasted like it came from a tin and was very sugary it would have been nice if it was fresh.

We also ate one night in the restaurant, it was very busy so we were seated in the bar, which was busy but had a nice athmosphere. The service was friendly, but a touch chaotic and hurried.

All the food was reasonably priced and very nice, I had a tasty generouse portion of Mussles and a nice burger.

I was disapointed that at 7pm in the evening they had run out of sparkling mineral water (especially as it is a pub bar as well as a restaurant) but the wine I ordered instead was good.

My husband recived the wrong starter and was told that it was down to a mis communication in the kitchen, the starter of goats cheese he had insetead was nice . Our mains arrived while we were finishing our starter, so we had to hurriedly finish.

Our overall impression of the hotel was that the hotel side of things runs very well, (except for the newspaper thing) but the breakfast wasn't great and the restaurant service let it down a bit hence why I havn't given it a 5 star.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Fleece C, Ricardo Canestra - Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Please accept my apologies for what sounds like a slightly chaotic dining experience. We had new tills installed around the time of your stay which caused a couple of problems for us. I am glad that enjoyed your meals and your stay in our Inn. Next time you are in the area, please contact me directly and I will personally arrange a table for you to experience our usually excellent service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel with excellent service. My mother, sister and I stayed here for 3 days during a recent holiday. The rooms are small but well appointed. Wifi was great. Breakfast was reasonable. Starbucks is next door. We had dinner here one night and the food was great.

Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your shining review. We're always glad to hear about an enjoyable stay.
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed here for 1 x night while on business in Cirencester. The Hotel is located right in the Centre of Town and although this is good for getting around it is bad for parking. I had to park in a public car park 5 mins walk away. Check in was easy and I was given a room on the 1st floor up a steep staircase. The room was very small but I guess that is to be expected in such an old building. Everything worked in the room and also in the bathroom which was as big as the bedroom. I went to the bar for a glass of wine and really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. Next morning I had an English breakfast and it was the best part of my stay particularly the waitresses who were very friendly and courteous and very attentive. I recommend this hotel for a very short stay 1 or 2 x nights but any longer I would need a larger room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank damian s
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our whole team pride themselves on excellent customer service and our breakfast chef Giles loves guests to leave with satisfied stomachs!
Poole, Dorset
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We visited the Fleece Hotel Cirencester on Saturday night. We reserved a table in the restaurant as the bar is always busy. The menu is varied with special dishes of the day. The atmosphere is cosy and we enjoyed a lovely relaxed evening with excellent food. I would thoroughly recommend the Fleece as it's market place location is an ideal venue to meet with friends for a great evening.

Room Tip: Choose a room looking over the market place for a very special weekend away.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for your lovely review. I will pass your comments on to our team who love hearing that their hard work was worthwhile in making your stay enjoyable.
london
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night and had even ing meal, a special tues night deal of steak and bottle of wine, both excellent, and good value. Room was attractive and comfortable overlooking the street which was surprisingly quiet. Breakfast in bar was very good but we didn't care for the radio (music and chat). Only bad point was the gents at bar which according to my partner was in a poor state as if not cleaned from previous evening at 11.00 a.m. Staff were very friendly and cheerful. Would definitely. stay again.

• Stayed March 2014
Thanks for your review. Apologies for the gents but our cleaner was taken ill that particular morning! We're glad you found the room comfortable and enjoyed the steak night special. Hope to welcome you back to The Fleece.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We stay here quite a lot and usually thoroughly enjoy the experience however this last time it was not their finest hour. Two of our party had to ask for some remedial cleaning in the bathroom and one was checked in and shown to a room that was still occupied. I was sat on my bed to hear a member of staff unlocking my door with a master key (without knocking) and had to intervene to prevent everyone's blushes! Also the young lady behind the bar would benefit from some customer service training. What I would say though is that the breakfast here is absolutely superb- plentiful and freshly cooked and served with a smile!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Apologies for the slip ups on your last stay. Please let me know when you next plan to stay with us and I will personally ensure that everything is up to the standard of your usual visits.
Manchester
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely quirky hotel. The rooms are on different levels with stairs leading everywhere making the set out really quirky.
If you arrive try and get a room set at the back if you like a late lie as the street facing rooms are very noisy in the morning.
The bar was lovely with a good selection of drinks. All the staff were really friendly.
Make sure you get your flask of milk in your room when you arrive!!
We had breakfast in the morning, which was very pleasant. Cooked well with a good selection of cereals and fruits to have too.
We didn't sat dinner here so cannot comment on that however the restaurant did appear to look busy. Certainly worth looking at if you are visiting this area
Lovely log fire, which was very cosy with a glass of red.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Fleece C, Ricardo Canestra - Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
We worked hard in our recent refurbishment to keep the character of the 400 year old building, so I'm glad you enjoyed the quirks as much as we do! And if you enjoyed a glass of red by the winter log fire, maybe you'll pop back in the summer for a glass of white in the sunny courtyard.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in South Cerney
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to The Fleece at Cirencester? Share your experiences!