“A lovely stay spoiled in the early hours”

The Fleece at Cirencester
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is a lovely hotel, it is a converted ancient building and comes with the quirks of any pub/ hotel. We ate in the pub on both nights of our stay - it was excellent and the wine was good. Breakfast was lovely - possibly the best poached eggs I have ever had.

But on the second morning a radio was put on really loud at around 5:30. We mentioned this on checkout and got a vague apology. As we went to retrieve our car we heard the same station coming from the kitchen and are sure that is what woke us up.

Room Tip: We were in room 7 which is above a bar and at the start of a corridor, this means it is a little noi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Fleece C, Ricardo Canestra - Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

I am pleased that you enjoyed your meals and appreciated the pleasant environment of our grade listed building. Please accept my sincere apologies for the rude awakening. However room 7 is the furthest room from the kitchens so I presume the noise must have come from another guest room. Giles the breakfast chef is particularly pleased you enjoyed your breakfasts.

There are newer reviews for The Fleece at Cirencester

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed overnight on business and the service from first contact through to check-out was fantastic. The staff were extremely helpful with all requests. The dinner which I had in the evening was superb. The lack of elevator is a bit of a drawback but understandable given the protected status of the building. For such an old building it is very well kept and has all modern needs I could look for in a hotel. My room window was facing the main street in the town so it was a bit noisy during the night, I will be requesting a different room on my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street facing side of the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Delighted you enjoyed our high standards of service. We'd be happy to allocate you a room at the back for your next visit.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

It is very interesting to choose this hotel for holiday. My stay there for business but it became leisure since the town is very nice. The hotel is so nice and pleasant staff with five star service. I like the breakfast at the hotel and the family room. We enjoyed the stay me and my wife and two little children. Everything is nearby such shopping shops, restaurants and cafe. My children like the library behind the hotel and the park near to the church. I hope I will find another chance to visit this town and enjoyed this hotel stay again.

Room Tip: The best at cirencester in location
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Please come for another fantastic stay at The Fleece on your next visit to the Cotswolds!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My nephew was recently celebrating his eighteenth birthday and as we are a close family he decided that he would like to have a nice lunch with his family before celebrating with mates in the evening and as he lives in Cirencester The Fleece is situated centrally and came recommended.
On arrival we were shown to our table laid up for twelve adults and two children, I did feel that we were a little cramped but they had managed to accommodate us quite well considering we were a large party.
The menu was excellent however the wait for the food was a little long however it was very much worth the wait and met the children's needs very well and the staff were extremely polite and helpful , hopefully we shall be lunching there again soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit. Kids are always welcome - plenty to choose from on our Half Pints menu!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great place, great people, great food. The black pudding at breakfast is the best I have ever tasted. Wish I'd had more......... Love to go back soon. Might chose a larger room next time, just to see.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the shining review! On your next visit you should try the locally smoked kippers, our most popular breakfast dish :-)

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Decided to try the fleece for dinner earlier this week. When we are arrived we were greeted by a very friendly bar man that showed us to a table. We got some menus and ordered drinks. Food arrived within 20 mins, all good. However we were not offered any sauces or other drinks. The food was lovely, very well cooked. A young girl cleared us, we were not offered dessert menus, we waited a few moments to see if somebody would come back and they didn't. We went to the bar and asked for some and despite the fact we had main courses we were refused dessert menus as the kitchen was closed. Very disappointing considering we enjoying a nice meal.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Glad to hear you enjoyed your meal with us, and apologies for the slip in our service. Please let me know when you next visit The Fleece and I will ensure you are taken care of for the evening.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

At late notice we booked this hotel/Inn as we decided to visit the Cotswolds for the Easter bank holiday with our little dog. The plus points were: Clean, good food, good supply of refreshments in your room, hair dryer and pleasant, friendly staff. I wont say 'Cons' but will say 'not so good' was the room we had was right above the bar and at the front on the main road, the noise was loud in this room and you could hear people in the bar and as the room was quite warm we had the window open and as people left at closing time it was like they were in the room with us. The pillows are possibly the worst I have ever experienced and really hurt my neck but this is just preference I suppose.
It is a good location to travel around the Cotswolds and visit the other areas I recommend Bibury (cute and quaint not much there but like a postcard, and good for a spot of lunch), stow on the wold (antique shops etc.), burton on the water ( lovely scenic lots of country shops and good for an ice cream and sit by the stream) Cheltenham was good for high street shopping and the Broadway was another cute village.

Room Tip: Do Not have the room above the bar number 15 if you want a peaceful nights sleep, and maybe take you...
1  Thank selectavicky

Being focused around the bar and restaurant, our 400 year old coaching inn does have the odd creak and murmur but we believe they add to the character of the building. I'm glad to know you enjoyed your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in South Cerney
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to The Fleece at Cirencester? Share your experiences!