All reviewscharacter roomcar parkmarket placeeggs benedictold buildinghigh streetlovely atmospherethe publovely hotellunch timefish and chipsno liftcentre of towncentral locationstandard roomvery pleasant staystayed here for one night
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

As a local, I was excited to try out The Fleece after its recent renovation. The decor is stylish and there is a warm atmosphere overall. My husband, mother in law and I decided to have an informal Saturday lunch in the bar area. My main impression from previous visits was that a better cleaning up system is needed, or more staff, or both. Bar areas have always been full of empty used glasses, bowls and napkins and, for me, it just ruins what could be a really good place. It is always full so something is clearly being done right- our sandwiches were excellent, presented well and very tasty. But to order them I stood next to a load of dirty glasses at one bar and was duly ignored by two different bar staff. Moved to the other bar, same experience. Once I'd finally ordered, I cleaned our table of spilt ketchup and dirty glasses from the previous customers. More staff all round would probably solve this and would convince me to go back, given the lovely food. Don't lose your clearly very good chefs thru poor front of house management!

1  Thank Anna M
Fleece C, Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2017

Thanks for your comments, I’m really sorry we didn’t show you our normal exemplary service! - a busy weekend does bring fanatasic atmosphere aswell as some small downfalls! - We are currently reviewing our staffing so this will improve the service we bring to you when you next visit! - see you soon!

Reviewed 13 October 2017

A quick visit to Cirencester for the antiques market left us happy with our purchases and hungry for lunch. The Fleece was suggested as a place where we could get a "better" meal. We selected a vegetarian platter and grilled smoked mozzarella to share. We kept saying "mmm" this is good as we munched away on a very nice selection of items including halloumi which we can't get enough of. The table next to us ordered sandwiches -- the bread was thick cuts of white -- to big to eat and perhaps not so good for us. Also, check out the tonic water there -- a brand I didn't recognize but made a nice drink.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review! I’m so glad you enjoyed your time with us, hope you can visit again soon! Our sharing platters really go down a treat! We’re very proud to be leading the way with our tonic water, Franklin and Sons, it’s a fantastic supplement to any of our range of gins! But maybe you could try their soft drink collection! - See you soon!

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

We visited for evening meal, friendly greeting on arrival and didn't have to wait too long for a table. Love the decor and returb it looks great! We chose selection of starters to share which were enjoyed by all. There was a bit of a wait on food as big table had arrived, but this was well communicated by waiting staff so not a problem. Mains were delicious and steaks were cooked to perfection. We enjoyed panacotta and brownie for desert which we shared, good sized portions. Overall a really enjoyable evening and will definitely return and have already recommended to family living locally! Only one small critism waiter noted on arrival in conversation with us that it was a birthday meal for our daughter who lives in Cirencester and nothing was done to acknowledge this.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Fleece C, General Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

I am really glad that you enjoyed your evening with us and that you have shared that with friends. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

We love the look of this place and 3 times now my wife and I have popped in on a friday early evening for a cheeky ‘start the weekend’ drink and the prospect of maybe having dinner.

All 3 times we’ve eyed the menu but been put off by the noise of the bar and the ‘speaking at the top of voices’ bar staff. Clearly there’s a vibe and it’s busy and that’s great - and we like atmosphere - but one guy in particular has a fog horn voice and seems to almost shout endlessly from behind the bar - barking out comments and engaging in loud banter. Recognise this is 5:30pm.

It’s obvious the Fleece is 1st port of call for wedding guests attending the Hotel over the road so its naturally a bit boistrous - but - good grief! - drop it down a tiny bit - and stop shouting! - please can you, Mr Bar Man, belt up! Put a sock in it!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Fleece C, General Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

I am very glad you enjoy the place and have returned several times. The bar can be very boisterous as you say , which is why we don't tend to take reservations for dinner in the bar. We do have several lovely dining areas away from the bar (and the bar staff), so I hope you may like to try that one day. With regard the loud barman, I will try and turn him down a little.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

For the reputation this hotel has I am more than a little disappointed. This was supposedly to be a special stay over for an important birthday celebration for my wife.

The bar area is aesthetically very nice, newly refurbished and pleasant. However on arrival there was no one checking in and I had to hunt for some service (which became a bit of a theme).

Upon checking in I was shown to a room (rm 8) that initially seemed very pleasant. However closer inspection showed there were large cobwebs over the bed and door, and paint was peeling badly around the shower. Not great since it's just supposedly been redone.

My biggest issue was the room heat. The room was unbearably, uncomfortably hot. I had all the windows open, the fan running all night and it was still horrendous. Heat literally ebbed from the floor - I had a terribly sleepless night and was soaked from sweating. I complained the following morning but the man at the counter didn't seem to see my issue.

The night duty concierge was polite, attentive and welcoming on our return to the hotel from our party.

Breakfast was well cooked and presented nicely but the poor young staff were run ragged, no one was greeting guests and after wandering aimlessly without direction we were eventually ushered to a table full of dirty plates, cups and napkins from the previous occupants. This wasn't cleared for some time but the poor girl serving did apologise stating they were understaffed.

Overall, ok but not great. The new Cirencester Premier Inn down the road will be giving this place a serious run for their (our) money - I'm told it was very good - and spotlessly clean - by our friends there and it looks like we got the short straw. I'm a regular visitor to Cirencester and will be staying there next time, not here.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple