“Hotel in a time-warp”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
peterborough
“Hotel in a time-warp”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The Stratton House Hotel is in Stratton, about a mile north of Cirencester town centre, so locationally it's perfect. But to be honest it's about all that is.

From the outside the hotel looks a bit tired and it's a theme that runs throughout the hotel. The doors could all do with a varnish, and the somewhat threadbare carpets could do with replacement in some places.

The welcome was pleasant and friendly, and check-in was efficient.

The room was very well colour coordinated. Unfortunately that colour was brown. Imagine that elderly relative who hasn't redecorated since 1972 and you'll have the idea. But it was large and spacious by some hotel standards. We didn't find the room dirty, as has been suggested in some previous reviews, but neither was it sparkling clean. The surfaces had been introduced to a duster, but perhaps not polish. Despite it all though, the bed was very comfy and cosy and come bedtime I fell asleep in no time. The curtains were a bit "great aunt Maud" but kept the light out well, leaving me in peaceful slumber long after daybreak.

Slumber may have lasted longer had the walls not been thin and the floorboards creakier than aforementioned Great Aunt Maud's joints. Every neighbouring footstep resulted in noise. And somehow we ended up with what I assume was the hot water cylinder for the wing behind some boxing in the corner of the room. Periodically it would fire up and the noise was like a jet engine taking off.

The restaurant was adequate. Breakfast was standard. A choice of fruit and cereals, a basic cooked breakfast buffet and some toast and preserves. Nothing stand-out but perfectly reasonable. We ate at the restaurant on our first night too. I opted for the calimari and chicken, whilst hubby chose the goats cheese and spinach tart and the sausage and mash. And it was all pretty nice. The chicken in particular was very well cooked.

We stopped off for a quick drink in the bar ahead of dinner. Now, I'm not a grump really, and I'm not unreasonable in my expectations, but the bar had only been open for half an hour when we arrived so you can imagine my surprise to hear that there was no beer on draught, no coca-cola mixer and limited spirits.

The grounds were meant to be the hotel's showpiece but to be honest they just looked a little unloved. The plants around the edges looked dead, the grass looked like pasture, and the only things seemingly happy were the grouse and pheasant that frequented the lawn area every day.

Overall, the hotel could be something quite quaint and quintessentially English, as I'm quite sure it probably was at some point. With a bit of investment, vision and love it could be lovely. Right now though, it's just tired and dated. OK for a quick stop over, but avoid it for a lengthy stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank MrsMuffin81
David W, General Manager at Stratton House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Mrs Muffin,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Stratton House hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as it should have been and I take onboard all of the points raised. The hotel was recently bought by St James Hotels and they are keen to stress that they plan to invest in the property in the near future. Whilst I can not guarantee what work is to be done, I can say that my team and I are buoyed by the prospect. The service issues have now been rectified and we have re-looked at our breakfast offering to ensure a more substantial selection.
I do hope to see you back at the hotel sometime in the future and hopefully you will be able to witness a transformation.

Best wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barnsley
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to Stratton House Hotel? Share your experiences!