The Stratton House Hotel is in Stratton, about a mile north of Cirencester town centre, so locationally it's perfect. But to be honest it's about all that is.
From the outside the hotel looks a bit tired and it's a theme that runs throughout the hotel. The doors could all do with a varnish, and the somewhat threadbare carpets could do with replacement in some places.
The welcome was pleasant and friendly, and check-in was efficient.
The room was very well colour coordinated. Unfortunately that colour was brown. Imagine that elderly relative who hasn't redecorated since 1972 and you'll have the idea. But it was large and spacious by some hotel standards. We didn't find the room dirty, as has been suggested in some previous reviews, but neither was it sparkling clean. The surfaces had been introduced to a duster, but perhaps not polish. Despite it all though, the bed was very comfy and cosy and come bedtime I fell asleep in no time. The curtains were a bit "great aunt Maud" but kept the light out well, leaving me in peaceful slumber long after daybreak.
Slumber may have lasted longer had the walls not been thin and the floorboards creakier than aforementioned Great Aunt Maud's joints. Every neighbouring footstep resulted in noise. And somehow we ended up with what I assume was the hot water cylinder for the wing behind some boxing in the corner of the room. Periodically it would fire up and the noise was like a jet engine taking off.
The restaurant was adequate. Breakfast was standard. A choice of fruit and cereals, a basic cooked breakfast buffet and some toast and preserves. Nothing stand-out but perfectly reasonable. We ate at the restaurant on our first night too. I opted for the calimari and chicken, whilst hubby chose the goats cheese and spinach tart and the sausage and mash. And it was all pretty nice. The chicken in particular was very well cooked.
We stopped off for a quick drink in the bar ahead of dinner. Now, I'm not a grump really, and I'm not unreasonable in my expectations, but the bar had only been open for half an hour when we arrived so you can imagine my surprise to hear that there was no beer on draught, no coca-cola mixer and limited spirits.
The grounds were meant to be the hotel's showpiece but to be honest they just looked a little unloved. The plants around the edges looked dead, the grass looked like pasture, and the only things seemingly happy were the grouse and pheasant that frequented the lawn area every day.
Overall, the hotel could be something quite quaint and quintessentially English, as I'm quite sure it probably was at some point. With a bit of investment, vision and love it could be lovely. Right now though, it's just tired and dated. OK for a quick stop over, but avoid it for a lengthy stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stratton House Hotel is located on the outskirts of the Cotswold market town of Cirencester. The hotel is privately owned and seeks to offer you the best of both town and country house charm. We are in a great location for the town centre and the local motorway network, yet our elegant building and tranquil gardens make you feel you are 'away from it all'. We offer a superb restaurant and bar, 39 en-suite bedrooms, and excellent facilities for business meetings. We are also the perfect setting for your wedding or special celebration with a choice of function rooms, civil wedding licence and our specialist events co-ordinator. Our focus is on friendly service with that personal touch. Whether you are here for business or pleasure we want you to feel at home.... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Stratton House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Cirencester
- Cirencester Best Western
- Best Western Stratton Hotel
- Stratton House Hotel Cirencester, Cotswolds