“Another lovely stay”

Stratton House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel was lovely, the staff friendly the breakfast sparse but sufficient. Unfortunately the machine provided to dispense coffee needs replacing with a human being!
The bedroom was spacious and comfortable. We shall definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms in the ground floor wing are more modern and access is easier for less active residents.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
David W, General Manager at Stratton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear John,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. Whilst the coffee machine is not to everyones liking we are always willing to serve customers a pot of tea or coffee if requested. I will speak with the breakfast chef regarding the breakfast offering as I know that we have recently had discussions to increase our offering.
I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed at Stratton House for 2 days for a wedding being held there at the weekend. This hotel used to be the place to go in its heyday, but is now in need of some TLC. The service and staff are helpful and friendly so no complainst there. The room was big enough and the bed was ok, but I would say the matressses need a bit of an update as I believe they are spring mattresses and you do hear them ping and creak. The decor of the room was a bit dated but clean. However the wardrobe smelt musty. I was shocked that 1 both towel was ripped and shredded at the ends, which for the price you pay is unacceptable. Now for the price, as a guest of the wedding we were told we would get 20% discount off the room rate. I looked on the internet and the price for a premior room on the day when booking 5 days in advance was £98.20 per day (I booked directly with the hotel on the same day). So with 20% discount that should have been £78.56. So to discover that the discounted rate was then £99 was a surprise. That means that full price would have been £118.80 per day. When I asked if that was correct, and what the tariff is, I was told the hotel has no tariff, and is whatever the price is on the day. I stay in many hotels all over Europe and would have to say that this hotel falls short in terms of what you get for the same or less money in hotels in Europe and London. I know the hotel is now under new ownership, so I do hope for the future that some much needed investment is made, as the location is perfect for exploring the Cotswolds. I also hope that they also introduce a published tariff. If I was to give any suggestions to the new owners then it would be when people are paying quite a high rate per day for a premier room then they should recieve a few little extras like a bottle of water, shampoo, flannels for washing, maybe a chocalate on the pillowcase, etc etc. Little things like that make a lot of difference if you want people to go away with the feeling that they would happily come back and recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tracy b

Dear Tracy,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. Firstly allow me to apologise for the bath towel not being in a satisfactory condition, I have spoken to housekeeping about this and we will look at why this happened. You are correct that the hotel has just been taken over by new owners and I am sure that investment in the hotel will happen in due course.
Your comments regarding the extras have been taken on board however at this moment we have no plans in place for this, however we will look at this when the time is right.
Regarding the tariff and the price you paid, we use a Best Available Rate system which will fluctuate according to how busy the hotel is. This rate does change daily and the discount rate for the wedding rooms would have depended on the allocation given to the Bride and Groom at the time of booking. If these allocated rooms are taken then the price will unfortunately rise. However that said we will look at this in due course to see that our customers recieve a fair price for their stay.
Once again thank you for your comments and I hope that a return visit to the hotel will see progress towards a better and brighter future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was unsure about the hotel having read the mixed reviews but must say that I really liked the actual hotel. Yes, it is an old building and that just adds to its charms. Our room was really comfortable, clean and a really lovely size. Loved the fact that the coffee tables were old commodes!! Don't know if everybody would agree but we found them quirky. The hotel is well situated and in reach of many beautiful sites in the Cotswolds.
The big downside for us was the restaurant. 4 tables of seperate couples squashed together not giving any chance of a private conversation. Uncooked pastry on the goats cheese and tomato flans after a 35 minute wait for them. My husband not receiving his sweet until pointed out to the supervisor. Also noticed another table getting the wrong starters and gentleman next to us not getting the sweet that he had asked for. If the restaurant had been full, there might have been a little leniency given, but only about a third full. Luckily we were only charged for one main meal and the sweets were given as complimentary because of the problems. I would stay here again but would not eat in the restaurant - which I think is a great shame.

Room Tip: Back of the old part of the hotel have nice views across walled garden.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JillyLangley
David W, General Manager at Stratton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Jilly,

Thank you for you comments on your recent stay. I am pleased that your overall stay was enjoyable and the hotel met to your satisfaction.
My apologies for the issues in the restaurant. This is an area we are currently developing and we need to ensure that the team are more customer friendly and understand the need to ensure that our customers are looked after and their requirements are met.
I do hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.
I will ensure that the restaurant team are made aware of your comments.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This hotel has had mixed reviews, to say the least. I cannot know what experience others have had - all I can say is ours was a good one.
The building is a beautiful 300 yr old stone building with all the eccentricities that go with that - our bedroom was a fire exit. At least we would have been woken up by people charging through our room, having broken a glass panel to open our door. Also, the top of the fire escape made a lovely balcony from which we watched a beautiful sunset.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Generally the place was maintained pretty well, from what we saw, though it might not have been in perfect condition. But how many hotels of that age are? It has recently changed hands which must cause problems but I would not have guessed that - it seemed like a completely normal established hotel.
We had a good meal in the restaurant. The Manoir aux Quat' Saisons probably doesn't have anything to worry about but it costs many times more.
Our only complaint on that score was that the Eggs Benedict at breakfast were hard boiled - chef please note.
One other warning. There is no lift so if you are on the third floor like us it is up to you to lug your cases up there. Personally I look on that sort of thing as an opportunity for a mini workout.
All in all we thought it was super. If you don't want that sort of experience at their prices I would look for a Travelodge or something with a classy restaurant nearby, if that's possible.
If, however, you want something with a bit of character, you couldn't do better.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Max O
David W, General Manager at Stratton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Max O,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay. I am in agreement with you that yes some areas do need a bit of tlc and the decor has character. The new owners have hinted at investment in the property and hopefully this will give us the chance to add those missing wow factors. That said the hotel does need to retain its country house feel. I do hope that as when any changes are made we see you back at the hotel to give us your views.
That said we are always delighted to offer assistance with luggage.

Best wishes

Reviewed 30 March 2014

my wife and i stayed one night in room 38. it was a large room with desk, small couch etc. we paid £70+ so its what you would get at a travel inn etc. decor was old fashioned but had its charm. the corridor outside smelt of paint, but the smell did not permeate the door, thank god. the internet was very slow and cut out at times. my main complaint is that the room was far too warm, we both woke up dehydrated and had difficulty sleeping due to the heat and the thick duvet. we turned off the radiators and opened the window but this didn't help much.
the sheets/pillow cases were clean but they had used too much bleach in the wash and you could smell it on the sheets, because too much bleach was used it caused the sheets to be itchy and dry, this made it harder to sleep.
we checked out in the morning and were told breakfast had stopped being served. at 9.30, when we were told it was until 11. we unfortunately stayed on a day that the clocks went back so effectively we lost an hour. the hotel did not make any exceptions on check out time or for breakfast.
the blonde lady who checked us in in the evening was very nice, but the dark haired lady who checked us out was cold and didn't even ask how our stay was.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kmiester

KMiester,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I have taken on board all of the points raised and as such we are hoping to change linen suppliers very soon. The corridor had been painted the previous day and we were hoping that the smell would have dissapated sooner. My apologies for you not getting a warm check out and whilst yes you were late down in the morning and you were not able to get breakfast, (I can only assume this was because the restaurant had a busy turn around ready for lunch) however you should have been offered something even if it meant eating it in the lounge. I do not like my customers to leave with out having been fed as this is the last memory that they take away with them. please accept my apologies and I do hope that you will consider returning to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I visited Stratton House Hotel with some good friends today for afternoon tea (having found a deal on travel zoo). Thank goodness they were good friends so that firstly they will forgive me for the choice and secondly so the afternoon gave us some amusement and it is this amusement that drives me to award even one star.
Dated decor along the lines of a neglected residential home. Negligable cleanliness inside and such dirty tables outside that we didn't make the most of some rare sunshine. Slow service and the arrival of the food in dribs and drabs only served to further increase the dryness of the sanwiches and cake. The waitress dropping the glass of (warm and sweet) fizz everywhere wasn't really a problem but the second waitress questioning "Do you really need me to replace the table cloth" possibly was. The food was dreadful -processed and cheap.
Such as shame as the building, grounds and location hold so much potential and the staff although dreadful in their service seemed to mean well.
If your sense of humour is as dry as the cake you may draw some amusement from your visit but unfortunately that is all the experience has to recommend it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank CirenNicky

Ciren Nicky,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent afternoon tea. I would like to apologise for it not being as pleasant as it should have been. The waitress as expressed her apologies for dropping the sparkiling wine and whilst accidents happen this should have been corrected without question.
I am sorry that the cakes were not to your liking. These are all produced in house and as we do many afternoon teas, they are made on a regular basis. We have been revising our sandwich offering to ensure it does not continue along the basic cheese and pickle line.
I am sorry that the decor was not to your liking, our new company are keen to invest in the hotel and I am sure that this is something they will look at.
I do hope that you will decide to return to us in the future and hopefully see the benefits of any future investment.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We fancied a change and this hotel was recommended to us. It was our treat for valentines day and overall We had a good experience , it was nice and relaxing and service was pleasant . The room was not as clean as I would like it to be , but that is just me being clean-freak.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicky a

Nicky,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay at the hotel and we hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Best Wishes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in South Cerney
Travelodge Cirencester
Travelodge Cirencester
#7 of 8 in Cirencester

Been to Stratton House Hotel? Share your experiences!