“NIce Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“NIce Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have read previous reviews about this hotel and they were very mixed...... yes the décor does need a bit of updating but did not take away from the rest of our stay. The staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Food was very tasty, it was a special evening to celebrate my partners birthday. The room was clean and had everything you needed. The only down fall was we felt that some music being piped round the hotel would have been nice. It was very quite when sitting in the lounge, felt you had to whisper lol

1 Thank Michaela B
David W, General Manager at Stratton House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Michaela,

Thank you for your kind comments, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Stratton House Hotel. We do have music that pipes into the lounge so unsure as to why this was not so.
I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Southport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed here for b and b from 16 to 18 May 2014. We found the staff helpful and the breakfasts good. We were in room 11. This room is quiet and faces the garden but is long overdue for its total refurbishment. Its decoration is faded and furniture tatty. We liked the separate lounge and the garden is nice (although neglected).

Early on our first morning, the room service operative walked in to our bathroom while I was using it, without knocking. The door has no lock. For this to happen is an ABSLUTE DISGRACE. When I asked at Reception to see a manager in order to complain, I was told none was available.

So, if you enjoy being interrupted whilst using the toilet, Stratton House is the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Avoid room 11; although quiet it is very scruffy.
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank keithmaclennan123
David W, General Manager at Stratton House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your comments.
I have spoken to the member of staff concerned who has apologised profusely, they were also very embarrassed about the situation and has learnt a valuable lesson with regards to knocking and waiting for an answer. I am sorry I was not around to speak to you about the situation as I can totally understand your annoyance. Please accept our apologies for what was a silly error and rest assured this will not happen again.

Travellers are raving about these Cirencester hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed a weekend break at Stratton House. The double room (34) was of a good size and comfortable. Bath and shower both working fine. Good breakfast and evening meal gave value for money. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. It's also very well located for 'doing' the Cotswolds. OK, it is a bit dated with traditional lounge and bar but, for me, it provided real value for money and everyone was very friendly. You get what you pay for and the smiles are given for free.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Stratton House Hotel. It is always nice to know when our guests have enjoyed themselves.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

this hotel is very tired, needs a lot of attention everywhere!
The room was like going back to the seventies, most definitely needs renovating,the bar, the lounge etc.plus it has a lovely garden, but it doesn't look as if anyone maintains it.
The staff are pleasant and made us welcome and Cirencester is a lovely town, hope to go back there in the future, but I doubt if I will stay in Stratton House again.
We had a travelzoo voucher £89 DBB for two,perhaps we were expecting too much!

Room Tip: not sure about the rooms, it was quiet, but again, tired.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank penny r
Thank you for your comments, We do value all of our customers and do take on-board any comments put forward. I agree that some areas of the hotel need a little modernisation, however that said we would not want to lose the character and charm of the Stratton House Hotel.
The gardens have been maintained this year by a team of professionals, however the wet weather that we suffered during the early part of the year made it difficult to do as much work as they would have liked.
I do hope that on your next visit to Cirencester you will give us another opportunity to look after you and make you feel relaxed and comfortable.
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I visited here to take my mother out. We've used it twice before but only because it is so local and easy access for an OAP. Both previous times have been less than average. I'll keep this short. The food was dreadful. The starter (deep fried mushrooms) inedible. Sunday roast dry and tasteless. Didn't bother with dessert.The mushroom had clearly been previously cooked, they were literally not able to be chewed. After trying 2, I opened up the rest and the content of the deep fry was just twisted gristly mush. I called the waiter, tall gangly bloke who just stared at me not knowing what to say. Eventually got offered another lot which I declined. I complained at the end of the meal and they deducted a measly £2.50 from the bill. I will never eat here again. See the pictures for the state of the mushrooms, the state of the disgusting wallpaper in the dining room, splattered with gravy and other liquids, and the uninspiring entry to the dining room. Eat here if you have no respect for your palate.

Room Tip: Dont go !!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank beentheredonethatUk
Firstly, please allow me to apologise for the food recieved during your recent Sunday Lunch with us. I have spoken to my kitchen team and have made them aware of the upset caused. They have been asked to improve the menu offering and ensure that food that leaves the kitchen is edible and value for money.
The wallpaper in the restaurant is badly stained in some areas and this has been listed as part of the planned investment.
I do hope that you will change your mind and allow us the opportunity of ensuring you have a delicous and tasty meal that you will feel is value for money.
Bath, Somerset, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

How many times do we complain about the modern characterless international hotel?
Well Stratton House, which was once part of Best Western, isn't that. This means it's a characterful and charming place to stay, in other ways it reminds us of the good things that make a stay in a modern hotel predictable, dull, routine but dependable.
The large period building is quite impressive. Its walled garden (onto which the restaurant looks) is delightful. The staff are exceptional .. an odd mix of locals of various ages and some not so local .. but without exception they were very keen to ensure our stay was enjoyable.
The hotel is however a bit like one of those grand Victorian era hotels at the English seaside, in need of some refurbishment (British understatement). The floors creek, the corridors have been designed by a fire safety officer and I'm not sure who decided on the bedroom wallpaper. But despite the decor we slept very well! Of course the room was clean albeit slightly scuffed in places.
Did we enjoy our stay? Yes we did. In truth I think we will remember this stay for much longer than so many I have spent in international chain hotels. Our memories will be fond ones. Lovely battered arm chairs in the lounge that you dropped into and were met with bit of a bump.
And value for money was excellent ...
As was the breakfast .. we opted for kippers .. as one should in an English hotel!
And the staff were always charming. And for that you could forgive for it not being a colour coordinated, modern, plastic hotel with uniformed and uniform staff.

Room Tip: Book dinner on arrival as their team need to know.
1 Thank jensenfrome
Thank you so much for your kind comments. It is so nice to read that we did something right. I agree that the hotel needs a little modernisation here and there but not too much as we love the character this hotel represents. We are not always everyones cup of tea however we are a country house hotel with charm. I look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the near future where a warm welcome will await you.
Fareham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed here on a Travelzoo voucher - £89 DBB for two. Really do wish I'd read the reviews before booking. Firstly the signage on approach to the hotel needs improving as we drove right past the entrance without realising. Secondly and most importantly in our view the hotel bar needs a complete makeover. It's so unwelcoming - no local ales, no good choice of wine by the glass, bar food menu uninspiring and food unappetising when it comes. Decor, such as it is, is completely out of the period. It's crying out for panelling, comfy chairs, an open fire. It should be the hub of the hotel - instead it's as unwelcoming as a bus station waiting room. We stayed in the newer annexe; the bedroom was large and not uncomfortable but the decor there was straight out of the early 90s. By now we weren't expecting much from the dinner or breakfast but, in fact, both were more than acceptable. The staff were pleasant and friendly but young and we saw no-one in obvious authority. Local people we spoke to in town said that the hotel had recently been taken over and were all hoping for it to be refurbished. All we can say is "Hurry Up!!"

Room Tip: Can't help here as we didn't see any of the rooms in the older part of the hotel. Our son a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sally M
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I can totally understand your frustrations regarding the bar area and I am sure that this is something that the company will have looked at during their recent visit. There are plans to invest in the hotel and we hope that this will enhance our guests stay. I do hope that you will revisit us when next travelling to Cirencester.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
#1 of 1 in South Cerney
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,337 reviews

Been to Stratton House Hotel? Share your experiences!