“nice pie”

Ranked #18 of 124 Restaurants in Cirencester
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located just outside the historic market town of Cirencester and close to The Water Parks, it is a traditional village pub with a cosy atmosphere and lots of character. Our large open fires are a welcoming sight in our charming pub. Our home-cooked food, exciting specials board which include market fish dishes, a wide range of real ales and a pleasurable choice of fine wines makes The Greyhound an excellent venue for warmth and hospitality. There's a large car park and function area which makes the Greyhound an ideal place for meetings and special occasions.
swindon
“nice pie”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We visited The Greyhound on a Wednesday evening, thinking it would be quite. But it was quite busy .We ordered the chefs pie (steak and ale ) and a lamb burger both with chunky chips . They arrived after about 10 minutes ,both hot and very nice. After eating our meals my wife had a vanilla cheesecake with cream (£5.50). Both our main meals were £10.95.
Overall a nice meal and not too expensive , we will return when in the area again. The pub is quite large with a lot of tables to eat at, the beer is from Wadworths so a good selection of ales.

Cirencester, England, United Kingdom
“Great family pub”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had a family lunch today for twelve ,for a family get together . The food is excellent quality with very good size portions . The Greyhound offers above average pub food at great prices.All the food for the party of twelve was bought out together and hot which is so often overlooked .The beer is also well kept with a good selection .Friendly staff , All in all well worth a return visit .

1 Thank Karen G
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Being told where to sit rather than be allowed to sit at an unreserved table of our choosing caused us to walk out.”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I find it difficult to rate this pub as we walked out before eating (or even having a drink), so my overall rating is purely on their attitude to customers/seating policy and is not a reflection on the food or ales.

Although their website describes it as a ‘traditional village pub’, all the tables either had people eating or were laid up with cutlery in readiness for diners, so it was more a restaurant that serves beer than a traditional village pub serving food. However, although I dislike pubs that lay (and often reserve) every table for dining giving the appearance of a restaurant rather than a pub, this did not unduly worry us as we intended to eat and there was space available.

There was a small vacant table for two near the bar and a couple of vacant tables that would seat four, one of which was by the window. The table for two had a reserved sign on it while the others didn’t. We chose the unreserved table by the window. While I was at the bar a waitress approached my wife and asked if we would sit at the table for two. My wife pointed out that it had reserved on it, while the table we had chosen didn’t. The waitress promptly took the reserved sign from the smaller table and put it on the table we were about to sit at, and asked if we could move as we were only two and the table we were about to sit at was for four.

It's clear that the table for two wasn't reserved (otherwise she would have kept the sign on it and not tried to move us there), nor was the table at which we were about to sit reserved (if it had been then a sign would have already been there). Furthermore, we weren't offered the other unreserved table for four, so it was a blatant tactic to prevent us sitting where we chose in order to maximise diners. (And since when has a ‘traditional village pub’ told customers where they can and cannot sit, or stopped couples sitting at table for four – in most pubs and restaurants couples sit at tables that seat four all the time. It's part and parcel of the business!)

I am not suggesting the young waitress was impolite – she wasn’t – and had neither table had a reserved sign then I might have been more accommodating and moved to the smaller table (although reluctantly, as it was uncomfortably close to people standing at the bar), but the practice of telling customers where they should sit (which doesn’t happen in any ‘traditional village pub’ that I’ve come across) and the brazen pretence of the reserved table system to meet these ends rankled. The upshot of this was that we walked out, resulting in them losing two customers for drinks and dinner, never to return.

wrighty72, Manager at The Greyhound, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Greyhound and we're sorry it was not what you expected. We are extremely lucky to be a popular place to visit at the moment and as a result of this many people call ahead and reserve a table so as to guarantee their place, particularly on the weekends. We have to reserve tables to ensure that customers planning their night out get what they expect.
Once again thank you for taking the time to review the Greyhound.

Best wishes

Chris
Manager
BRISTOL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best meal out for a long time!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We heard that the Greyhound was very busy recently so decided to give it a go. We arrived to an absolutely packed pub, not thinking we were going to get a table. However we were seated instantly after being given drinks. The staff here are young but clearly know what they're doing. The young man that looked afterwards had great attitude, not once did I have to leave my table for drinks etc until paying the bill. I'm naturally a very lazy person so this suited me greatly!

Moving to the food, me and my wife decided to have a small starter, mains and a pudding to share. For starter we had the fish board, (including my favourite, smoked salmon) the only fault I have here is the bread did not seem fresh and is likely to be defrosted by demand. For mains I had the Trio of sausages and mash, my wife had the lamb burger. The sausages were good quality and cooked well, the mash was satisfactory but clearly not homemade (disappointing) but overall a nice meal. My wife loved the lamb burger with the only negative being the amount of goats cheese on top, a two inches thick slab is far too much. But this could be amended, however if the Greyhound do read this i feel you're wasting large arm mounts of goats cheese! Our food was received in very good time despite how busy it was. Finally the bread and butter to finish was the icing on the cake, it was delivered no more than 5 minutes after we ordered, I'm amazed how the chefs could fit it in as puddings are usually last on the list! Only word I have to say for the B+B is delicious!
Most certainly will be visiting again in the near future.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank GordonMirror
Cirencester
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ploughmans to "share" poor value.”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

At £10, and supposedly to share was not good value. 3 bits of part baked bread and a small sliver of butter although the cheese and apple etc nicely presented. Eliot in S Cerney at £8.25 nicer. Great one that really is to share at £7 The Riverside Inn, Lechlade.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Rosie471947
wrighty72, Manager at The Greyhound, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for comments re our Ploughmans board which we have noted. I personally can not comment other pubs offerings I have not had boards from either the Elliot Arms or the Riverside Inn. All three of our Boards have always received positive reactions from all our customers and I'm sorry you do not feel it represents good value.
Once again thank you for taking the time to let us know
Best wishes