“An adventure packed weekend”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Perhaps the most beautiful unspoilt valley in The Cotswolds
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
dloyd2564
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“An adventure packed weekend”
Reviewed 2 April 2018 for a stay in March 2018

We booked this large house to accommodate 6 adults and 5 children ( 8-13 ) and it did not disappoint- lots of room for everyone. We were celebrating our golden wedding anniversary and managed to get ourselves snowed in, no one could leave until Monday- a day off school ! Joan was on site and we found her very pleasant and helpful. We all had a great time, we can imagine that in the summer, with the pool and sunchairs and no one for miles, it must be heaven.
If we were to nit-pick, new cutlery and matching crockery would make it worth that extra star.

4 Apr 2018
Dear David,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.. We are very pleased you all had a great time. Thank you for the pointers will take on board.
Hope to see you all in the summer.

Elizabeth...
“Early Xmas family get together”
Reviewed 2 December 2017 for a stay in November 2017

Joan put of a personal appointment to ensure she was there for an early arrival of our food order.
We were given a warm welcome , shown round her lovely home, given advice and information.
8 more of the family arrived 4 hrs later and they were all delighted with “SPRINGFIELD,”
They all come from different parts of the country and different lifestyles but all of us felt relaxed , at home!
Spacious rooms meant we were not on top of each other .All was clean and comfortable and beautifully warm ,with the first frosts of the winter
Lovely to come back to after long walks.
We will be booking again , because non of my children have been so unanimous about their pleasure at staying in a”Big House” and stateing they would like to come back.
There are lots of books and personal pics and nic nacks around , but that’s what makes it homely and comfortable.
One could nit pick about things that may not work or need mending , in a house this size it must be a nightmare to keep on top of everything ,
As someone who runs a self catering property I would appreciate knowing what’s wrong whilst my guests are staying so It can be rectified there and then
Do let Joan know if you experience any probs during your stay, she is s charming hostess .
Thankyou for a Fab Stay

13 Dec 2017
Dear Elizabeth, thank you for taking the time to review Springfield, It was a pleasure to have you all to stay. I am pleased you all enjoyed yourselves have a lovely Christmas.
jobey2016
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“Fab family visit”
Reviewed 2 December 2017 for a stay in November 2017
person found this review helpful

My mum booked this venue for the 12 of us to have an early family Christmas. The venue is perfect for a large family to visit together. Very homely place, with plenty of places to sit and space to be alone if you need quite time. We didn't use the pool as it was closed for the winter, sadly the hot tub was also out of action but this didn't detract from our stay. We have planned another visit for next year.

4 Dec 2017
Thank Jobey, it was a pleasure to host you and your family, The pool is closed down at the end of October and opens again Easter time. So pleased you all enjoyed your stay.
Kind Regards,
Peter S
“Horrendous Experience”
Reviewed 26 October 2017 for a stay in October 2017
person found this review helpful

We had a really unpleasant weekend at this house. I really don't know where to start but here I go, I will endeavour to keep this as brief as I can....

Firstly, one thing to watch out for are the hidden costs - to have the outdoor pool properly heated (which is an absolute must in the winter), the owner decided to charge us an extra £150, which was not stipulated anywhere prior to booking. Then we decided to let her know that we were bringing our dog - another £50, again not detailed anywhere. Why? Well, apparently it's cleaning, despite the fact that we are good dog owners and would never bring mud inside. But it gets worse - for your £50 your dog is allowed in only 2 rooms in the house. TWO. To my shock, when we got there the two rooms are fully floor tiled, so apparently it costs £50 to run a mop around the place, which I can only assume she doesn't do if there are no dogs, otherwise why the charge?

Next - on arrival, we received no 'welcome!' or 'hope the journey was ok', nope - we got a "Who here is responsible for the booking? They owe me £200" (for pool and dog). Charming.

The house itself is OK - for the price that it is, I can only call it that. You are given a book of 'house rules' including no shoes in the house - despite the whole ground floor being floor tiles. The pool is OK but not suitable for children as its far too deep for them, ours spent the weekend holding on to the sides. The bedrooms vary massively in size and quality, with a curious selection of books and photos, and they've gone sparingly with light bulbs to the point that half were missing...

The next trauma came though when we decided to go for a walk - all we got was an OS map which was of no use, so we had to use our own initiative. We walked around the valley, not entering any fields that were locked and closing any gates behind us, when a couple who live next to the house start waving angrily and shouting "NO. NO. NO." at us. They came over as quick as they could and were extremely verbally aggressive to the point that it left my 8-year old niece in tears. And did they let up? Did they hell. They seemed to think we'd left every gate open, which we hadn't whatsoever. There was no signs saying we shouldn't be using that field, so how were we meant to know? They were so over-the-top aggressive it was startling, if we hadn't diffused the situation I dread to think how it would have ended up. If there is an issue, they need to take it up with the owner, not people who are clearly just away for the weekend and don't have a clue where is OK to go. So much for a nice walk in the country....

Lastly (there is more that went wrong with our weekend but I've had to be selective as I could go on forever), on leaving in the morning, a candelabra was leaning against a window - the owner came in all guns blazing assuming we'd broken it. We hadn't. Again, no 'hope you enjoyed your stay'. I don't know of she had issue with us because we had a dog but she was just absolutely horrendous with us and we couldn't get away quick enough. Incredibly rude, especially considering how much money we had given her - good manners cost nothing!

I leave a lot of reviews, and never in my life have I ever felt so compelled to leave a bad one. It's not something I enjoy, all I can do is use our experience to warn other people. Especially if you have a dog.

OH - one more thing. If you do book (which I do NOT recommend), if coming from the west do not take the country track. It's a killer, I thought it had ripped out my suspension!

11 Nov 2017
Dear Peter, I am very sorry that you felt you had an unhappy experience, but pleased you liked the house. I will address each of your comments and try to explain the costs. If you had clicked on pets when you booked your short break, Holiday Lettings would have automatically added £50.00.
to your invoice. As you told me you were bringing your dog three weeks before your holiday it is impossible to add and has to be paid on arrival. We do ask for guests to keep their dogs in the kitchen dinning sitting area, conservatory and formal dinning room, which is 1,650 sq ft.We ask for dogs to be kept downstairs and not in the drawing room.The pool cost is stated on all of the web sites and only covers the cost of heating to 30 degrees. This is optional, I am very happy and proud when guests tell me their little ones have learnt to swim and the older ones have greatly improved and like your children spend the whole weekend in the pool. Most parents bring armbands if their children are not competent swimmers.We have a file with lots of local information ie maps, menus, the magazine Out and About tells you whats on in the cotswolds, taxis, pubs, brochures on local amenities etc etc. I can only apologise for the farmer, they can occasionally, worry about dogs distressing sheep, that is why I include walking maps in the visitors guide. The public footpaths are also clearly marked. The road and drive to the house are tarmac. On your departure day you were all talking in the car park, one of my housekeepers noticed the heavy candelabra resting precariously on the window pane, I simply said I will just make that safe and came back out to wish you all a safe journey home and hope that you had had a lovely holiday. I can only say that I wish you had told me of your feelings earlier.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Your age range 25-34
11 Nov 2017
Thank you so much for your review we are very pleased you enjoyed your holiday.

Sue M
“Springfield House - Amazing !”
Reviewed 17 January 2017 for a stay in January 2017

We have just returned from a wonderful long weekend with friends, to celebrate my big birthday.
The house was amazing, the location wonderful, the views breath taking .

The owner Joan was very helpful with any requirements we had during our stay, thank you

thoroughly recommended - we loved it !

19 Jan 2017
Dear Sue,
Thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to write a review. Hope to see you again one day. Really pleased you had a good time you and your party were a pleasure to host.

j J
“Absolutely AMAZING”
Reviewed 6 January 2017 for a stay in December 2016

Just the best holiday we've ever had, what a fabulous property - thank you so much for a fab holiday the kids, grandparents and everyone enjoyed the views and country walks so much - we'll definitely be back soon!!!!

6 Jan 2017
Thank you for your kind words. We are really pleased you enjoyed the house.

Joan
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing