“slightly disappointing”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
auckland
“slightly disappointing”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed at the hotel as part of our honeymoon having thought it looked nice online. We booked a 4 poster room thinking it would be quite luxurious but I have to say we were really disappointed on being shown to the room, so much so that we thought of leaving and finding somewhere else. The room was very small and placed up in the attic with 2 very small windows in the roof, so it was quite dark and claustrophobic feeling. Whilst clean, the décor was uninspiring and overall reminded me of a cheap bed and breakfast. I did feel slightly cheated as a honeymoon can't be repeated and this certainly wasn't what I was hoping for, and at £125 per night, I don't feel represented good value for money. On the plus side the location is good, and quiet.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Many thanks for your review, although I was sorry to learn that the room did not meet your expectations. Whilst it is the smaller of our four-poster rooms, we do normally receive positive feedback about it, due to the many 16th century beams and the general atmosphere. However, I do agree with your point regarding the bland and dated décor and I am currently arranging to introduce some new more luxurious fabrics and colour into this room in the very near future.
Regards, Tim Waller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The location is great, set just minutes from the town centre with ample parking this hotel could be great.

The bedroom was ok, but the bathroom we had was a bit outdated and the cleaning could have been better (there was dust behind the toilet), despite this the cleaning team were really friendly and welcoming.

Breakfast was fresh tasty and delicious.

The pillow we had was very flat and we could have done with 2 each as they were really thin and some extra blankets would have been good as I was cold at night (the duvet was quite thin).

This hotel could be so much better and it's not cheap.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Many thanks for your review and I was pleased to read of your positive experiences. I was however concerned by the shortfalls and do apologise for these. Our standard of cleanliness is normally very high, so the dust behind the toilet was highly unusual. I believe that I have been able to determine (from your tripadvisor username) that you stayed in Room 3. Whilst I have carried out a number of improvements to the bathroom in this room, it still does require (along with four other rooms left to do) a new more contemporary re-tile during the winter.

We do normally as a common standard put 2 pillows per person on the bed, so I apologise about that. There was however extra pillows and blankets in the drawer under the bed and this information is detailed in the bedroom folder and hotel info notice on the walls of each bedroom. Apologies also about the duvet and I will follow this up with the housekeeping team, though we have not received any other guest feedback regarding this.

Despite your experiences, I do hope that it will not deter you from staying with us again and if so do please contact me personally and I will offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our four-poster rooms.

London
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We checked in only for one night....thank goodness.
The hotel looks quite nice from the outside, and that's where it stops.
The interior is very tired, the rooms were extremely disappointing. The bathroom was dirty, the shower gel left in the showers was moldy, the tissue box had one tissue left, the beds were very uncomfortable and the floor was so uneven and creepy we thought we were going to fall through. Staff not very friendly at all. Would not recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
I was naturally very concerned but also surprised to read your comments as they certainly do not offer a true reflection of our normal high standards, which can be verified by our other overall positive reviews, particularly regarding our hospitality. I am also sorry that you did not bring your issues to our attention during your stay.

Whilst there is always on-going redecoration work in progress and the ground floor corridor to Rooms 1 to 9 is shortly to receive new carpet and décor, the public areas and our rooms are all very clean and indeed highly rated by the AA and Visit England for a 3 star rated hotel. The public areas are certainly not tired having received new furniture and a refurbishment only six months ago. Whilst we do have a few creaky floors, most people accept this as part of the hotel's charm. The same applies to some of the bedrooms, which do have old pieces of furniture in keeping with the age of the hotel.

We are however in the process of refurbishing a few of the bathrooms and indeed only today installed new Cole & Lewis of London shampoo /shower gel & soap toiletries in all of our bedrooms. We also offer (as detailed in the room information folder) mattress toppers for guests that like softer mattresses.

I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, but would greatly welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter further. Unfortunately I do not know your name or contact details and would appreciate if you could contact me on 01285 659711 or by email tim@coriniumhotel.com

Yours sincerely
Tim Waller
london
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The exterior of the hotel is lovely but unfortunately the interior is rather dated and needs a bit of refurbishing. But this is really more an Inn than a hotel. The best tip is to avoid room 14 as it is essentially an attic. You cannot stand upright in the shower due to slanting roof, and I'm only 5ft tall! Basically you have to squat to take a shower. Carpet was dirty and the room itself was damp. This room should not be let out at all.
The hotel is located in a quiet street and is about a 5min walk to the town centre. The staff are helpful and the breakfast is ok.

Room Tip: avoid room 14
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank alphili
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
I was naturally concerned that we did not meet your expectations in some respects during your stay and I do wish that you had brought these to our attention at the time. As stated in the room details on our website, Room 14 has a bath and hand shower (only one in the hotel), due to the limited space. It is indeed one of our attic rooms, which are actually popular with many of our guests, due to the feature16th century beams and the quietness of the rooms.

I was also sorry to note that you felt the interior is dated as we have introduced various modern features of decor and furniture to blend in with the older pieces, without losing the warm feel of the building. Room 14 is certainly fit for use as a bedroom and passed the 3 star small hotel criteria by the hotel inspector. Upon closer inspection by myself, the carpet is clean and the room certainly not damp. However, it sounds as if this smell might have been caused by rainfall, age of the building and the heating not being on at the time, due to the mild weather in August.

Despite your disappointment on this occasion, I do hope that it will not deter you from visiting us again when we could accommodate you in one of our other rooms on a lower floor with larger bathroom and a shower cubicle.

Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Lovely August Bank Holiday break. Booked late & thought would have to take our 2 dogs with us, comment on booking.com replied to immediately & arrangements duly made. Then changed our minds, no problem, emails exchanged & placed in lovely room on top floor with a large corner bath, my request & again not a problem. Found the mattress too firm on the first night & noticed in guest book an offer to put a foam topper on the bed if required. Again, no problem & boy did it make a big difference :) Had very nice meal in restaurant on first night, good choice, good food, good service. Breakfast was plentiful with something to suit everyone. Staff deserve a shout out as all encountered were very friendly & welcoming. Stairs were pretty steep to the 3 rooms on the second floor, so wouldn't be suitable to all but the hotel is aware of this. Nice beer garden to rear of hotel, plenty of parking & free wifi throughout. Cirencester is limited on eateries & not as charming as its other cotswolds neighbours but did provide a good base to explore from. Recommend a visit to Bibuy, just up the road & truly beautiful. Easy journey to Stow, Moreton & Bourton but watch out for enormous steep drop in the road enroute - thought I was in Blackpool on a coaster for a second or two! Corinium proved a good choice & wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can't manage steep steps make sure to request the ground or first floor rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zymotic
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review and we were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back here in the near future.
Kind regards, Tim Waller
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have never eaten here, but my parents have a number of times and always enjoy it and return regularly. Living just up the road it is a great location just on the outskirts of town to have a nice wander down to, so we all went down for a drink one evening. It was a colder night (in the earlier months of the year) and it felt very cosy. Great atmosphere in the bar, lovely comfy seating and friendly staff. It also has a lovely garden to sit outside in the warmer months. I will definitely return and this time make sure we try out the food!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GreenBeaver
Thanks very much for your review and very pleased to read your kind comments. Hope we can welcome you back for that meal soon. Kind regards, Tim Waller
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

The hotel has parking which is a plus but they have made a real effort the staff are excellent friendly funny and professional . My room was veey small but nicely prepared but the bar and food great. Very pleasant place to exlpore heavenly cirencester

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Claireodeon
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Many thanks for your review and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We do have a few smaller rooms, but also a number of larger ones as well.
Hope we can welcome you back again in the future.
Regards, Tim Waller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in South Cerney
Travelodge Cirencester
Travelodge Cirencester
#7 of 8 in Cirencester

Been to Corinium Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!