“Great”

Corinium Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We booked the Corinium for a pre wedding get together. As a result i think we had 14 of their 15 rooms. The rooms were quirky and atmospheric, the service was excellent. Breakfast was a typical buffet style full English, with the usual cereals and cold options. We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night and it was lovely. I enjoyed myself and would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Many thanks for your review and we were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope we can welcome you back here on your 1st anniversary!
Kind regards, Tim Waller

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed here in early October and had chosen the hotel based on its location, which was ideal for visiting this very pleasant town. The Corinium has a nice bar area and good car parking; the breakfast was fine but the room was very dated and was at the top of a flight of stairs, with it's door opening virtually on to the top step, which felt very precarious. The decor and facilities didn't do justice to the price we paid, perhaps a reflection of the limited range of hotels within the central area. Disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MikeRamsden1959
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Although pleased to note that you were happy with certain aspects of your stay, I was sorry to read of your dissatisfaction with the bedroom, which from your description appears to be Room 9 as it is the only room near the top of a staircase. In the 5 years that I have owned the hotel, I have not received feedback that the closeness of the door to the stairs felt precarious. However, I do wish that you had brought this matter to our attention during your stay, in order that we could have moved you into another room on a lower floor.

Regarding the perceived lack of value, this is a personal view of course, but I can only compare our room rates to other Cotswold hotels and given that they include full breakfast, free parking on-site and free wifi, our rates are actually very fair and commensurate with other hotels of similar quality in the Cotswolds area.

Your comment regarding some of our rooms being ‘dated’ appears to have been picked up recently by a few Tripadvisor reviewers and whilst the majority of our guests are very happy with our rooms, I do recognise that there has been an increase in the expectations of some guests. Although we have already refurbished a number of rooms this year, we are introducing a new stylish look over the next couple of months into the remainder, whilst retaining their individual character and ambience.

Despite your disappointment on this occasion I very much hope that we can welcome you back again in the future, when we can be given another opportunity to meet your expectations. Do please contact me personally if you decide to revisit Cirencester.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

For the price paid was just hoping for a bit more! The location was good, the breakfast was tasty, parking easy but the room was very poor! I know the building is old but the bed was on an angle and so my husband had to hang on all night so not to fall out! The shower was very noisy, the TV remote was broken, the floor boards were noisy and the craftsmanship just looked unfinished. We would not return!

Room Tip: We were in an attic room so other rooms maybe better!
5  Thank Tori B
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Whilst I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with the breakfast, parking and location, it was obviously very disappointing to read of your dissatisfaction with the room. From your comment regarding the bed I have gathered which of the attic rooms that you were accommodated in as we have already noticed the slant on this bed, which was caused by a slight drop in the floorboards and has since been quickly resolved. Unfortunately this did also make the floorboards extra noisy when walking on them. My apologies for this. As you rightly point out though, it is an old building and there is often unplanned remedial work required.

However, I’m afraid that I cannot accept your view this room is very poor and indeed we find that the majority of our guests are very happy with it. I am aware however that there has been a general increase in the expectations of some guests and whilst we have already refurbished a number of rooms, we are introducing a more stylish look over the winter into the attic rooms, whilst retaining their character and ambience.

I have checked the shower in this room and feel the noise level is acceptable for an electric shower. I am also puzzled about the TV remote as they are all in good condition in every room. I do wish that you had brought these issues to my attention during your stay, in order that we could have had the opportunity to remedy the situation.

Despite your disappointment on this occasion I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future, when we can be given another opportunity to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Interesting grade 2 listed building, lovely beer garden and ample parking. Very warm welcome on arrival and smart, small but cosy and clean bedroom on first floor, number 6. Stayed two nights and ate in restaurant on 2nd night - friendly service, garlic olives and mussels not available upon ordering, but service with a smile and food was good value for cost and quality. A number of locals drinking in the bar which is always a good sign. Writing this from the restaurant so checkout service not yet determined, but on the whole a positive staying experience. I also note the owner has commented on many reviews on here which is a heartening sign of someone happy and keen to engage with clientele and a forward thinking attitude. As a digital marketing manager I give this ethos top marks.

• Stayed: October 2013

Many thanks for your review and my apologies for slight delay in responding due to holiday. It was very pleasing to read your kind comments, particularly after a couple of recent unusual negative reviews, which do not give an accurate reflection of the hotel to other potential guests. Hope we can welcome you back again in the future.
Kind regards, Tim Waller

Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed here (2 couples) for a long weekend break exploring The Cotswolds.
Hotel is in a quiet road but less than a 10 minute walk from town centre, shops and pubs.
We had attic rooms, nice old beams - mind your head if you are tall.
Creaky floorboards and stairs, but then this is an old building with character.
If you cannot manage stairs then I would ask for a ground floor room when booking.
Room was clean, bed comfortable, with a compact, clean toilet and shower room.
Staff were all friendly and helpful, willing to stop and chat.
Buffet breakfast with a good choice, and you could have other items cooked to order if you asked.
Free Wifi, with good signal in both our room and bar area.
As an ale drinker, I have to mention the bar. They have 3 hand pumps, with one regular ale and two which change, all local brews in good condition. The barman cares about his ales! Quite a few locals come here to have a drink which is a good sign and gives more atmosphere than many hotel bars.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Many thanks for your review. We were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.
Kind regards
Tim Waller

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed at the hotel as part of our honeymoon having thought it looked nice online. We booked a 4 poster room thinking it would be quite luxurious but I have to say we were really disappointed on being shown to the room, so much so that we thought of leaving and finding somewhere else. The room was very small and placed up in the attic with 2 very small windows in the roof, so it was quite dark and claustrophobic feeling. Whilst clean, the décor was uninspiring and overall reminded me of a cheap bed and breakfast. I did feel slightly cheated as a honeymoon can't be repeated and this certainly wasn't what I was hoping for, and at £125 per night, I don't feel represented good value for money. On the plus side the location is good, and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Many thanks for your review, although I was sorry to learn that the room did not meet your expectations. Whilst it is the smaller of our four-poster rooms, we do normally receive positive feedback about it, due to the many 16th century beams and the general atmosphere. However, I do agree with your point regarding the bland and dated décor and I am currently arranging to introduce some new more luxurious fabrics and colour into this room in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

The location is great, set just minutes from the town centre with ample parking this hotel could be great.

The bedroom was ok, but the bathroom we had was a bit outdated and the cleaning could have been better (there was dust behind the toilet), despite this the cleaning team were really friendly and welcoming.

Breakfast was fresh tasty and delicious.

The pillow we had was very flat and we could have done with 2 each as they were really thin and some extra blankets would have been good as I was cold at night (the duvet was quite thin).

This hotel could be so much better and it's not cheap.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Many thanks for your review and I was pleased to read of your positive experiences. I was however concerned by the shortfalls and do apologise for these. Our standard of cleanliness is normally very high, so the dust behind the toilet was highly unusual. I believe that I have been able to determine (from your tripadvisor username) that you stayed in Room 3. Whilst I have carried out a number of improvements to the bathroom in this room, it still does require (along with four other rooms left to do) a new more contemporary re-tile during the winter.

We do normally as a common standard put 2 pillows per person on the bed, so I apologise about that. There was however extra pillows and blankets in the drawer under the bed and this information is detailed in the bedroom folder and hotel info notice on the walls of each bedroom. Apologies also about the duvet and I will follow this up with the housekeeping team, though we have not received any other guest feedback regarding this.

Despite your experiences, I do hope that it will not deter you from staying with us again and if so do please contact me personally and I will offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our four-poster rooms.

Regards, Tim Waller

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
1 mi away
Riverside House
Riverside House
#8 of 8 in Cirencester

Been to Corinium Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!