“Lovely ”

The Bear, Cirencester
Ranked #4 of 6 Nightlife in Cirencester
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Really lovely food but not ideal for small children. A few steps & quite crammed. Reasonable prices. Lovely outdoors area but it was rainy that day so we couldn't take advantage.

1  Thank vmurph
"welsh"
"element"
"dog"

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stopped at this pub at the end of a lunchtime encouraged by the board which stated home cooking. Our food order arrived quickly, was well presented and certainly tasted homemade. The puddings also appeared to be homemade and not the usual pub bought in variety. Prices were reasonable and service was friendly and prompt although the pub was not full but there were a few people dining

1  Thank Alan D
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I ordered A pint of Rev. James & ½ pint of lemonade & lime + Egg and Pastrami sandwiches from a barmaid named Dougie (according to the bill) who asked if I knew what they'd run out of. She didn't know so I had to disturb the manager(?) who was chatting with friends at the end of bar. He reeled off a list of unavailables. I joined my wife outside; 5 mins later I was told they'd run out of pastrami. I accepted the chix. & bacon. 5 mins later I was asked for another £1.20. I paid up, the food was brought. I'd describe it as 'OK but uninspiring'.

On leaving I queried why the lemonade was described on the bill as 'LRG GLASS' and per pint was more expensive than the beer. I was told that the bill was correct. I left with (metaphorically) a bad taste in my mouth.

Perhaps you can understand why I don't regard the Bear as a well run pub.

I guess it's OK if you just want a pint (the ale was OK) but I'm sure Cirencester can do better than this!

2  Thank Illbeburgered
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Sunny Mayday Bank holiday weekend, Great location to be sat outside till sun down

Pub Lunch was good value.

Staff were a little pushed at times and could have been more welcoming (having a Rotherham football coach arrive in town unsettled things a bit).

I will re-visit again and will probably have Lunch again.