“Disappointing and not recommended”

The Manor House Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing and not recommended”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

I took my parents here as a present for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The cost was about £2000 excluding drinks.

Christmas Eve dinner:  food was good but there was not much of it, for example, the venison constituted three small pieces probably weighing about two ounces in total when cooked.

Christmas Day: The lamb was inedible, full of fat and gristle.  Lady at nearby table sent it back  so the problem seemed to be with the quality of the meat.  My Mother kept quiet not wanting to make a fuss but as she had left much of it the problem became clear at the end of the meal.  When I complained the restaurant manager made my mother feel it was her fault for not having complained earlier. In my opinion the food should not have left the kitchen.

Shower in my parents room did not work properly.

Overall I felt that the hotel represented poor value for money and I would neither go there again nor recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank Aubrey_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I had a birthday celebration recently and was thoroughly looking fwd to having my party at the Manor House Hotel. The organiser was being very helpful in the lead up to the evening with lots of emails back and forth and a meeting to finalise the details. I was made to feel special. We, as a few of our guests were staying at the hotel and the organiser said the likelihood of an upgrade was high fingers crossed. The hotel was full and we didn't get an upgrade which wasn't the end of the world as our room was small but lovely. The only disappointment was that on the evening I was almost ignored by the organiser who walked passed me several times without speaking until I stopped her and asked if I could have the flowers promised on my plan for the 5 tables in the room. She said she would see what she could do and went off for a few minutes returning with just four lots of flowers. Her words were that I could only have four as they were needed for the restaurant tables. She then walked off and I didn't see her again until the end of the evening but still no conversation. She did say in writing that she was around during the eve to make sure things went smoothly and all we asked for on the plan was tealights and a small flower vase on the tables which was agreed. I felt that she was annoyed with me for some reason and it did worry me until my guests arrived and I started to enjoy the evening. The room was perfect for my party and the nibbles were fab. I wonder perhaps because we hadn't paid for a big buffet or drinks for everyone that I wasnt as important at the end but we all still had a fab night.

Stratford-upon-Avon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

This hotel has so much going for it. It's an attractive country house style property in a wonderful Cotswolds location. It has been refurbished to high standards and its upkeep appears excellent. The staff seem professional and friendly.

But my weekend stay (with my wife and two friends) was ruined by quite the most dreadful food I have ever tasted at this level of hotel or restaurant.

What on earth possesses the Manor House Hotel to present food of this kind?

The cooking is utterly pretentious and self-indulgent. Portions are unbelievably small (and I do mean tiny), overcomplicated and fussy to the point of complete laughable absurdity.

Every plate is presented by the waiters in embarrassing hushed tones. For some reason, every time the waiter brings a dish, he or she is obliged to tell you exactly what it is, how it was made, how complicated it is, and what each ingredient does for the dish - all, of course, implying just how brilliant the chef is!

The starters of two of my fellow guests were warm, when they should been hot. My own starter - a "rabbit and foie gras terrine, fennel sorbet, and pain d'epice wafers" - consisted, at best, of two or three mouthfuls which were, in fact, almost completely tasteless.

Moving on to the main courses, so shocked was I at the dish served to one of my friends - "braised belly of old spot pork, crispy pork leg, tenderloin, pickled red cabbage, apple jelly and parsnip crisps" - that it actually took my breath away. The pork crackling so proudly described by the waiter was the size of a six-inch straw and the meat was barely visible at all.

I have never seen a meal as small as this in my whole life. It was genuinely only a tiny bit larger than an appetiser or "amuse-bouche".

My own main course was "rack of Lighthorne lamb, butternut squash, tarragon pomme puree, butter beans, sweetbreads and anchovies". It may sound wonderful but I'd eaten it in four minutes flat. The TWO pieces of lamb were each an inch square in size and the potatoes were hardly more than a scrape onto the plate.

Was this all some kind of joke? My three friends and I all ate our main courses in just a few minutes and then sat there chuckling, wondering what on earth was going on.

This restaurant, the Mulberry, is a complete rip-off. It treats guest as if they were stupid and it lets down an otherwise perfectly decent four-star hotel.

I've no doubt the manager at this hotel will respond to my comments and tell me that his Mulberry Restaurant is an award-winning, two rosette establishment, and imply that I am just too unsophisticated to appreciate the subtle flavours and delicate nuances of the dishes created by his wonderful chef.

All I can say is that the story of the Emperor's New Clothes comes to my mind!

Nice hotel, hugely disappointing food.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank 19Steve49
ManorHouseManager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your experiences here at The Manor House Hotel. As you correctly predicted, of course I would wish to respond to your thoughts and indeed I am sorry that we could not have discussed this in person whilst you were here.

It would seem petty and rather predictable of me to defend The Mulberry Restaurant and our Head Chef and therefore I would respectfully point you towards looking at the many many wonderful reviews regarding the food prior to your post. I would also comment that I am sure you noticed that The Mulberry Restaurant was full to bursting over Friday and Saturday night and I may suggest that this wouldnt be the case if everyone shared your opinions.

Of course I cannot claim to have canvassed every diners opinion over the weekend but certainly general consensus was extremely positive unless of course all 100 odd diners were being extremely polite?

Having spoken to our Restaurant Manager who I believe interacted quite a bit with you on Saturday, he comments that your overall comments were also quite positive at the time and that you seemed to have an enjoyable evening. He also comments that you were appreciative of the gesture from the kitchen of writing 'Happy Birthday' on your dessert plate but of course, this has failed to make it into your review.

Thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback.
Newport Pagnell, Bucks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

We have just returned from a delightful 2 night stay with dinner at the Manor House. The hotel itself is sumptuously decorated and the bathrooms come complete with four full sized bottles of Molton Brown products. I kid you not. Although there is a polite notice saying you will be charged if you take them away. We were in room 23 on the top floor and it was a bit of a rabbit warren trying to find your way down to reception and back. If you are above 5'11 you are likely to hit your head on a few beams, but this all adds to the charm of the place. The lounge and roaring log fires were lovely and relaxing. We also ate in the Mulberry restaurant each night and the food was exquisite - scallops, pigeon etc all beautifully presented and very tasty. My husband ordered the cheeseboard and was presented with a huge tray to choose from, including truffle honey to accompany it. Highly recommended! The waiting staff in this hotel are extremely knowledgeable about the food and wine on offer.

Wifi is £10 per day

The location of the hotel directly on the high street is excellent.

1 Thank Katkuta
Rainham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Recently stayed at the manor hse hotel whilst spending the weekend at cheltenham races. Very nice hotel with excellent staff, great food in the mullberry restaurant & clean well appointed rooms. Overall a lovely place to stay while visiting the cotswolds.

2 Thank NEIL64_11
Wokingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

If you want cream teas, log fires and comfy sofas then look no further! The Manor House hotel is a fantastic getaway hotel right in the heart of the cotswolds. We have stayed here many times and I treat my parents to weekends there when i can as it is so relaxing! Lovely bedrooms, fantastic food and moreish cocktails! A real treat! Look out for their special offers as they are excellent value for money

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SamBWokingham
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

I booked this hotel for a weekend away for my boyfriends birthday having done quite a lot of research. We had the most lovely time, wonderful food, whether lunch, afternoon tea or dinner. The staff were charming and could not do enugh to help us and in fact on a couple of occassions prempted what we were going to ask. Our room (49) whlst not truly in my mind having a garden view, was a good size with lovely beddign and a comfortable mattress.

All in all can't wait to go back for another stay and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room with a garden view