“Best weekend I've ever had!”

The Manor House Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Best weekend I've ever had!”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I visited this hotel with my boyfriend in September 2012 - it was planned as a secret birthday weekend for me and he had spent a lot of time researching where we should go. Well he picked the perfect place! We stayed two nights and had the most fantastic time. Moreton-in-Marsh is a lovely setting with quaint shops and tea rooms to explore, as well as the pretty surrounding countryside. The hotel is top class from the lovely decoration to the warm welcome from the staff and the excellent level of service. Everything was clearly explained on check in and we were shown to our room which was clean, comfortable and cosy.

On arrival day we enjoyed drinks in the bar (delicious cocktails) before a four course dinner in the Mulberry restaurant, though the eight course tasting menu was also tempting! The food was all beautifully prepared and I would highly recommend it. I'm sure my boyfriend will have something to say about the cheese board which was very impressive. I went for the peanut parfait, banana panna cotta and pineapple sorbet, but even I enjoyed hearing the explanation of the different cheeses. The waiter certainly knew his stuff! The next evening we ate in the Brasserie for a slightly more casual option but that was also wonderful.

Everything about our stay was perfect but what really stood out was the staff and the level of service. I really enjoyed the turn-down service... coming back to your room after dinner to find the sheets pulled back for you, water and cookies by the bed, curtains closed, fresh towels, folded pyjamas etc. was lovely. One day we didn't leave our room until mid afternoon (oops!) but when we returned from our late lunch we had still received the full maid service in our room. It was all done very discreetly and nobody ever interrupted our weekend.

Every staff member was welcoming, smiley and knowledgeable from the tasty breakfast buffet (fresh honeycomb? Yes please!) right through to the end of the night. What a wonderful way to spend a romantic weekend! And yes, we bought the toy dog which was an optional purchase and was guarding the bed - a lovely memory of our stay. Highly recommended and I am extremely grateful that my boyfriend picked it!

Room Tip: We were in room 19 which was lovely but had one tiny downside - the window view was over the roof of...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed for a family wedding for which the hotel is set up to service, also corporate events would undoubtedly be well catered for, however whereas resources have been put into servicing those needs ........ the basics have suffered - the double room we stayed in was small and with my partner sat at the dressing table to get into the bathroom I have to climb over the bed........ not good.

At breakfast the following day the continental buffett was very limited with no choice of cold meats or cheeses, the "full english" also left alot to be desired, it was small and limited although well presented this did nothing to make up for the lack of taste of some items, e.g. the scrambled eggs - micro-waved in a ramakin dish.

For the price of £135 the venue and wedding/corporate facilities counteracted the poor quality rooms and breakfast. I wouldn't choose to stay here other than for such an event. I have stayed at quite a few 3*s which are able to provide far superior "basics" for a hotel stay.

Within the room itself there were H&S issues, I happened to lean on the glass top to the chest of draws and it slipped without any effort at all bearing mind this is where the kettle was situated, I found that the same happened with the glass top under the TV - these should be anchored as there is an inherrant risk there.

The hotel has numerous staff all of whom were courteous and efficient hence my rating for the service is high.

Overall - costly in terms of a room, but balanced by the venue facilities hence an "average" rating

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Valkyrie666
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights for a family wedding in August. Our room was very comfortable and the public areas were cosy and welcoming. The garden is a hidden gem and a wonderful place to sample some of the hotel's cocktails. Breakfast was delicious - we all raved about the homemade marmalade - and the extensive menu means there's something to please everyone.
The service was outstanding and the staff helpful and welcoming. We just need an excuse to go back now!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Stayed for two nights having booked at short notice, had the last remaining room which was a Superior Double. We were told on booking that there was a wedding on the Friday we arrived and that there would be some noise from the reception. We hesitated but checked if we would still be ok to dine in the Brasserie.

Reception was very welcoming and helpful and our bags were taken to our room whilst we had a look around. Our room was lovely, at the back of the hotel overlooking the garden. The bathroom was very small with only over bath shower but was very clean and did the job.

We need not have worried about the wedding taking place, service in the Brasserie was excellent and not affected at all. This hotel obviously knows how to operate when busy! In fact it added to our evening, as after dinner we sat outside on the terrace with our drinks listening to the music!

Saturday, after trips around the local area returned for a lazy summer afternoon in the Hotel Gardens, really nice touch having deck chairs around the lawn. This was our first weekend away in a longtime without the kids so splashed out on champagne whilst lounging, was brought out to us with strawberries in the glasses, lovely.

Dined in the Mulberry Restaurant that evening and unfortunately things went a little wrong for us but the Manager at this Hotel cares about his guests and came and found us! I think it is uncommon for there to be any issues in this Restaurant.

All in all we had a lovely time and the staff at this Hotel are very good at what they do and pride themselves on that. Will be returning, soon I hope, would be a good place to stay in the winter, very cosy.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
ManorHouseManager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
I am pleased to hear of your positive experiences at The Manor and thank you for taking the time to share with all.

I am also pleased to hear that we looked after you well even when somewhat busy! As you mentionned, we are well suited to being busy and in fact the staff thrive on the atmosphere that a packed bar, brasserie and restaurant bring as do our guests.

Clearly, I was sorry to hear that things didnt quite go so well for you the following night during at dinner. Although as a team we strive for perfection all of the time, occasionally things can go astray however I am a firm believer that it is how one deals with these problems that matters. I was pleased that you gave me the opportunity to talk to you in person about the events of that evening and that we found a resolution to the situation.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff who will take pleasure in reading your positive review. The attitude, abilities and pride of the staff are things that are commented on most frequently to myself and really, qualities that the hotel owes its success to.

I will have the fire stoked for your return visit in winter!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights Sept 6th and 7th. It was fantastic, it is a charming building, very quaint with twists and turns along the passageways and stairs all adding to its charm. We had a standard double which was all that there was as we booked late and I must admit that when I return I will book a bigger room as the room was a touch small, that said that is the only negative thing I could say. The bedroom was nicely decorated the bed comfy, nice tea/coffee tray, tv, the bathroom was nice and plenty of molton brown.
The bar area was lovely well stocked with beers, ales etc and great cocktails, the sitting room and library all very nicely decorated and furnished. We ate at The Redesdales Arms on our first night which was very pleasant however after experiencing the Manor House breakfast which was superb, we decided to try the restaurant. Were we glad we did, it is outstanding not only for the delicious food but the service which is so very professional from such a young team, the food and service deserve 5 stars.
I have to mention the gardens which are lovely both during the day and on a night when they are lit up they are so well kept truly stunning.
This is a lovely base to explore The Cotswolds we went to Oxford, Bourton on the Water, Stow, and Bibury all within easy reach and all well worth paying a visit to.
I could 100 percent recommend this hotel and definately hope to return as 2 nights wasn't enough, I could go on and on about it but trust me if you are thinking about staying here then go you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and your kind words regarding your experiences with us here at The Manor House Hotel.

I was pleased to hear that we managed to tempt you into dining with us and that you enjoyed the food and service awarding it 5 stars! I am extremely proud of what we have achieved at the hotel over the past 5 years and the credit for this lies with the staff who put their heart and soul into ensuring that every guest leaves with us having exceeded their expectations. It is very satisfying for them to know that they are doing things right!

Look forward to welcoming you back at some stage and dont hesitate to contact our Reception Manager or myself personally so we can get a room for you that ticks all the boxes next time!
London
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This is the most prominent hotel in Moreton-in-Marsh, the most attractive, the most luxurious – and the most expensive. We think it’s generally worth the money. Our room was not particularly large, and the beds and pillows were on the firm side. Also no toiletries were provided until we asked for them. A puzzled, but unapologetic housekeeper eventually arrived with four Moulton Brown products. Otherwise the room had the usual 4-star features, apart from mini-bar, bath robes or slippers, which we could have expected at these prices. Instead they provide an irritating cuddly toy on the bed and a rubber duck in the bath. Why do they infantilise their guests? Their sister hotel in Chipping Campden shares this curious policy. Fortunately the staff treated us like grown-ups and were unfailingly polite, friendly and efficient. The public areas are welcoming and comfortable – especially the large, well-kept garden. Breakfast is excellent. The Mulberry Restaurant is so good, I’ve given it a separate review.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed for one night on our wedding anniversary this year having booked the Gourmet Food and Wine Lovers' package. The room was lovely, with champagne on chill waiting. The hotel itself is excellent and has a beautiful garden to the rear with a gazebo and deck chairs scattered about the lawn for the benefit of guests. There's also a secret garden to the rear of the restaurant, where we were served our dinner as it was a fine, warm evening. The food was some of the best I have ever had anywhere and the wines, chosen by the sommelier to complement each course, were superb. Finally the service was simply beyond reproach. This was perhaps most noticeable in the restaurant, where all of the staff could describe, explain and advise upon every aspect of the menu as if they had selected and prepared the food themselves. It simply does not get any better than this and I can't quite understand why the Manor House is (at the time of writing) rated 3 of 3 hotels in Moreton. To be sure, I have not visited the others, but nor have I ever had a better experience staying in any other hotel. We have already decided to book again for our anniversary next year, though I suspect we will be back long before then.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moreton-in-Marsh
White Hart Royal Hotel
#1 of 1 in The Slaughters
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!