“Wonderfully romantic weekend in The Apple Cottage”

The Manor House Hotel
Ossett, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderfully romantic weekend in The Apple Cottage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I booked this hotel because it has a private cottage with a private hot tub with all the benefits of a hotel for my partners 40th birthday.
The cottage was beautiful, the hot tub was perfect. We ate twice in the hotel and the food was amazing.
The staff were all fabulous-very helpful and friendly.
It was not the cheapest but we will definitely be going again and would recommend it to everyone.
My only feedback would be that the cottage would benefit from a small drinks fridge.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Lincoln
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I thought this was a lovely hotel. The garden was beautiful and great for relaxing after a days sightseeing. I enjoyed having afternoon tea out in the garden.
The restaurant was excellent especially the toffee pop corn dessert which is pictured - superb. The breakfasts were buffet style but there was a very good selection. We purchased some of the excellent marmalade they had on sale.
When we arrived we were asked if we wanted our luggage taking up but said we would handle it ourselves not realising there was no lift. We only had two floors to climb but it was down and along numerous corridors. Suffering from asthma as I do I had nearly 'expired' by the time I got to the room. I think, as a matter of course, the hotel reception ought to say your bags will be delivered in 10 minutes as there is no lift.
Our room was quite small and compact but as we were on an offer we could not really complain.
I noticed the towels were very thin and not at all fluffy. On the last day the change of towel resulted in our being given one with a hole in. I have never been to any grade of hotel where I have been given a holey towel before.
On the ground floor there is a library and I think more could be done with it to make it more useful - perhaps it comes into its own in winter sitting in front of a cosy fire.
I think if we had been paying full price we would have been disappointed but for what we paid it was a good deal.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the road and traffic was noisy during the night as we had the windows open...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
ManorHouseManager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

I was sorry to hear that after having refused the offer of assistance with your luggage you found the stairs too much to get to your room. We do, in fact have a lift which accesses 60% of bedrooms however clearly not the room you were allocated. Should we have been made aware of your requirements to be near a lift or on a lower floor then of course we would have provided a room accordingly.

I was pleased to hear you enjoyed the breakfast selection but perhaps you missed the extensive cooked menu we also have which is fresh from the kitchen. Dishes such as Eggs Benedict, Kippers, Scotch Pancakes, Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs only reinforce the high quality of our breakfast offering.

Please accept my personl apologies for the state of the toweling in your room as this is simply unacceptable. This is certainly something that has been taken up not only with our Housekeeping team but also our suppliers too. Being a Four Star hotel, I expect the toweling to be fluffy and soft as do our guests.

Thank you once again for your valued feedback.
Jamestown St Helena
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

It's always a pleasure to stay at this hotel. The rooms are very comfortable, the food excellent and above all the staff are just delightful. We've been in summer and winter and would highly recommend it any time of the year.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Lovetravel034
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Read previous reviews and everyone is right, this is a lovely hotel with lots of charm in a beautiful area of the Cotswolds and I wouldn't disagree with anything that anyone has reported on.

The only reason why I have only given this an 'average' overall is because in my opionion and in comparision with other hotels in equally charming and beautiful locations the room we had for the money we paid was less than value for money.

Basically, this hotel has several types/ratings of accomodation. We chose a standard double (booked through Expedia), The room itself was the tinest room - and I am comparing this also to hotels in central London, which can also be also very tiny. The room was on the first floor and facing the road (also not great). When looking at the fire evacuation on the back of the door, it was clear that our room (No 11), was the smallest room by far of any on our landing, in fact, by comparision our room looked like the broom cupboard next to the other rooms on our floor and indeed felt like it.

The bathroom was generally ok, a modern suite - a little mould around some of the tiles - but nothing too bad, you could tell that they had tried to get the worst of it off and in general it was fine, but there was not enough light (felt very dim) and the extractor fan (there was no window) was not strong enough to clear the bathroom/mirror of steam quickly enough (the bathroom mirror remained very steamed hours just after one shower).

The hotel is a very old and charming building and with that comes very uneven flooring and very creaky floorboards. I can live happily with both, but when the customers in the room above us came to bed and got up in the morning - you could hear every footsteap and creak of floorboard with audiable precision!

Now to the bed - can honestly say hardley slept a wink in the two nights, the mattress was so old and so thin that every spring could be felt - I booked this hotel to get some much needed rest and relaxation - unfortunatley this did not include much sleep, without doubt the WORST bed I have ever slept on in any hotel I have ever stayed in.

The Molton Brown Toilettries are a lovely touch - but don't get carried away - if you take them home, or use too much, you will be charged full retail price for them. I picked up the little tiny guest soap for my guest room at home and there it was on the bill £2.20 - pennies I know, but for the overall cost of the stay I felt it was very petty.

I dont mean to paint a negative picture, I truely believe that we just had the worst room in the whole place. The rest of the Hotel is a delight and the food and service is absolutley brillant. I think those who pay more for the better rooms do get an amazing experience, but even at £120 per night - I want to at least be able to sleep and maybe have a little more room than a match box. Comparing this to other hotels of equal standing in equally sought after places we felt that based on our room alone it was not value for money.

For what we paid we know we can stay in equally as nice hotels but with a much superior room.

Will not return, unless we win the lottery and then can afford the better rooms or even Apple Cottage, which did look truely fantastic.

Please do not be put of by my review, just request that you don't have Room 11 - otherwise the place is faultless.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on first floor and facing the road, whilst not a really busy road the windows are old an...
1 Thank Sally G
Thank you for your review and I was sorry to hear that you didnt feel your stay represented good value for money.

It is true that we have a variety of room categories for guests to book and these categories dictate space (amongst other things) within the room itself. Our average room size based on our 'Standard' category is fair however being a 16th Century building, some are a little smaller than others. Should room size be of concern, then our reservations team would be delighted to advise you personally over the phone which I would suggest is one of many benefits of booking directly rather than through an agent who may have very little knowledge of the hotelv if any at all.

It is true that in comparison with other rooms on that floor, the particular room you stayed in is considerably smaller however again, this is due to all the others being superior room categories including our Junior Suite, Four Posters and Superiors.

Thank you for your comments regarding the bathroom and your quality of sleep, all of which have been taken on board, investigated and actioned accordingly.

I am somewhat confused as to your comments regarding the Molton Brown toiletries. We provide large bottles in the rooms so that you are able to use a plentiful amount as opposed to the tiny bottles which always run out! As in most hotels with this quality of product, there is a charge if these large bottles are removed from the rooms and taken home and this is necessary due to the sheer cost of the items. There is no charge for 'using too much' and there should not be a charge if the smaller items are removed such as soap.

I have popped a letter in the post to you directly as I would certainly like the opportunity to rectify your issues and perhaps welcome you back to The Manor House Hotel in the future.
Towcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

I booked this a a special treat for my girlfriend and it exceeded our expectations. I paid a little extra for a four poster room and it was definitely worth it. The room was beautifully decorated and clean, with a great view of the garden and near by church without being overlooked by the rest of the building, despite being in the centre of the oldest part of the hotel. The bathroom was also without flaws, and was a pleasure to spend time in, relaxing in the deep bath (yes if you're tall you have to duck getting in and out of bath and the bathroom, but frankly what period building does this not happen in?) Although you could hear sounds from the other parts of the hotel at times this really wasn't an issue and certainly the rooms were quiet when getting some rest.

The four course dinner we had was incredible, and the food we didn't try looked amazing as well (the cheese board will definitely be tried on the next visit). Breakfast as well was very tasty and filling. The staff were incredibly attentive and engaging, and very good at their jobs as well. Well done to all that were working during our stay, you helped make it.

Wilderness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

We spent an evening at The Manor House Hotel and were very pleased with its surroundings, ambience and friendly service. Our room was quiet and looked down on to the court yard which was most pleasant. Everything in the room was lovely, however, we did find it a little cramped, possibly because my husband and I are both tall people. Having travelled around for almost a month, we found that there was not enough luggage space, although we only had two suitcases and 2 small backpacks.Please do not let this comment deter you from visiting this hotel. I would just suggest asking reception for a larger room if you prefer. The breakfast was most enjoyable and the tables were beautifully set out. Will gladly visit again.

Room Tip: If you like space, then ask for a selection of rooms to make your choice.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Stevenage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

I booked The manor house hotel for my wife and I for a final break before we have our first child as my wife is pregnant and in need of a relaxing break. We certainly did have a relaxing break and below is a break down of the positives and negatives of our stay.

Positives

The hotel room was spotless and furnished to a excellent standard and everything was on hand that was needed (even extra toweling if requested).
We stayed in a disabled room and the room was more than adequate for a person in a wheelchair to stay in.
The cream teas on arrival were to die for and were demolished after a long journey.
The tasting menu was to a really good standard (with the exception of a ravioli dish, that was bland and not thought through).
The wine flight and cheese selection was to a very high standard.
Every meal in fact was done to an excellent standard and with 12 years as a chef i feel I have the knowledge to know when fresh and decent food is being served to me.
The staff catered to my wife's every need changing the menus as she could not eat some of the items due to her pregnancy.
The service we received from Georgia felt very personal, very knowledgeable and we felt she was a credit to the hotel.
The marmalade at breakfast!!!!!!
The surrounding gardens were beautiful.

Negatives

Some parts of the hotel would be inaccessible to a wheelchair user.
The ravioli dish.
The fact that I ordered a teddy bear as a surprise for my wife and was placed directly next to a bigger teddy bear that could be bought. (kind of took the shine of the bear I had bought her).
In the restaurant there was a table of 22 that came in after an hour and it killed the ambiance within the restaurant, and from the looks of the other 12 guests in the restaurants this would have been felt mutually between us.
All the staff were very helpful and friendly although the girl checking us in could have smiled a bit more and looked like she wanted to be there.
We felt on our 2nd night in the brasserie that we were being watched through out the whole meal.
We were in a noisy room next to reception (but being disabled this is something you have to put up with if you want to be closer to things)
There is no disabled parking out front for wheelchair users.

Conclusion
As you can see above there are both positives and negatives to this hotel, and yes although there are negatives this did not stop us from having a most enjoyable stay in the hotel. If we were on an episode of four rooms we would pay full price for this hotel as it is worth every penny. We hope to return again some day.

Many thanks

Ian and Louise

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moreton-in-Marsh
White Hart Royal Hotel
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,000 reviews

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!