“Much better than I'd expected!”

The Manor House Hotel
San Diego, California
“Much better than I'd expected!”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Because of the tourist traffic, I didn't expect to find a charming hotel in architecture with great restaurants. Our room was up high in the building. Some may find this a problem but we enjoyed the quaintness. The room itself was beautiful with a very nice bathroom. There was a wedding when we were there but it didn't impact us at all. The bar was big, warm and inviting. The staff was very friendly. We ate in both the restaurants. Reception helped us to get reservations as this is a popular place. Mulberry jam from their own trees was a treat. Finally, we came by train and walked to the manor house. We will go back.

Room Tip: Maybe because we were up high, our room was quiet. Bed was a little hard. We probably should have as...
1 Thank wgroves

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Cranfield
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We have been visiting this hotel, during the winter months, for 6 years now, so even before the current refurb. You could find cheaper hotels but you wont find better value for money in our opinion! What brings us back is the wonderful atmosphere and the excellent facilities: the staff are amazing and it is so unusual to be welcomed by the same team year on year! The service provided is second to none: everyone is polite, attentive and very friendly. The hotel itself is beautiful and very sympathetically restored; we have also found it to be spotlessly clean everywhere. As for the food.....wow! From afternoon tea in the library in front of a roaring fire to an incredible taste sensation in the sophisticated, yet relaxed, restaurant....absolute perfection. Thank you Simon and team: you never fail to deliver a wonderful experience!

UK
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Just came back from this hotel, which we booked for our wedding anniversary. Check in staff were very friendly and efficient and actually took us to our room and explained the in room facilities which was a really nice thoughtful touch. We went on a package and booked a junior suite which was worth the extra money as it had its own lounge, a half bottle of champagne was also included which was very nice indeed. The room had its own coffee machine and lovely Molton Brown toiletries. We also took advantage of the turn down service, which exceeded our expectations, as not only was the bed turned down but our coffee replenished and our used towels replaced. Our package also included a 4 course dinner, and I have to say upon looking at the menu my heart did sink a little as I am so fussy and only eat chicken and some fish and there seemed very little I could eat, but i thought i may as well just order and see what it was like. My fears, however, quickly evaporated when my pre-starter arrived, the food was very well presented, just the right portion size and tasted divine! Each course that followed was as fantastic as the last and I enjoyed every mouthful. We were very impressed with the service, the waiters were efficient and not too intrusive and described each element of your dish with a flourish (and good memory!). We were particularly impressed with a waitress who was attending another couple with the massive cheese board. She explained each cheese in detail, suggesting accompaniments and answered questions, she seemed to know an awful lot about the cheeses on offer and it did not sound scripted at all, she genuinely knew her stuff and it is a novelty to see such enthusiasm. It is no surprise the group has just won small hotels of the year award for their service. You get what you pay for and it was worth every penny, this is first time in years we have been genuinely blown away by a hotel (given that we stay in fabulous hotels all over the world). We had a fantastic anniversary, so a big thank you to the Manor House hotel team for making it special and memorable for us. Others hotels take note...look and learn!!

Room Tip: Junior suite is worth the extra money
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in October and from the moment we arrived, we experienced wonderful service, food and accommodation. Wherever we went in the hotel we were greeted by Mr & Mrs etc. This personal touch is something we like.
Our room was very quaint, but a good size. We overlooked the main road, but the noise did not irritate us, the windows are very sound proofed. We found the bed quite small and a little hard, but we're used to a king sized bed, and bed hardness/softness is always a personal preference! The bathroom was a good size and there was plenty of hot water day & night.
The hotel itself is charming, with a huge, warm & welcoming inglenook fireplace in the entrance lobby. We enjoyed lunch and after dinner drinks here. We ate in both restaurants. The brasserie was very nice, but The Mulberry is outstanding and definitely worth a visit. We chose a table during the day, but the restaurant was fully booked by the evening. The Maitre d called our room to inform us they'd had to move tables around because of this, so would we like to come and choose another table. We felt this was a lovely touch. From pre dinner drinks (the cocktails are lovely!) to dessert, we felt the service and the food in this restaurant was excellent. The sommelier was lovely and spent time talking to us about our wine choices. He even gave me a taster wine to match my beef. Again, a lovely touch. My beef was probably the best beef I have ever tasted. Breakfast was equally good, but I have to say, I didn't like their sausages! The hot breakfast choice is cooked to order, and therefore piping hot when it arrives. As is toast & tea/coffee. There are cereals, fruits, meats, juices and yoghurts laid out for you to help yourself.
We didn't really explore the grounds, but what we did see looked beautiful. There was a wedding reception at the hotel on the Saturday night, but you would never have known, we didn't hear a thing! The hotel is in a great location and all other villages are easily accessible by car. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel for romantic getaway or a trip with friends/family/older children. It really is lovely.

Room Tip: Ask to choose your table in The Mulberry restaurant for dinner if you are a couple.
1 Thank Mary73Surrey
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We had a wonderful time back in August and returned in October. Everything was as good if not better. Wanted a venue for my 60th birthday in January and Simon and his team made the choice simple.I understand they have just won a big award for service, this comes as no surprise to us.This team deserves it and I have no doubt my celebration will be handled with consumate professionalism and personal care.

Room Tip: We have had room 17 twice and loved it
Braintree Essex
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I looked around on the internet to book a short 3 or 4 night autumn break at a reasonable cost for my partner and myself. The Manor House was selected based on the basis of the reviews, the location and value package on offer; quite it simply did not fail one bit on any account and both my partner and I were delighted with selection made. Our only small regret is that I did not go for a room upgrade on booking as while our room was suitable being immaculately clean and well equipped it was little small; but then I should have expected that as its hotel was an old Coaching Inn. However, the feel of an old Coaching Inn remains and creates a charm about the place which is fully supported by the food and the service.

Room Tip: Consider a room up grade as standard rooms are a little small
1 Thank ESSEX_TAFFY
ManorHouseManager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Thank you for your glowing review and I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us so much!

Your positive comments only go further to support the recent award we have received from Johansens for 'Most Outstanding Service' in the UK.

Clearly the level of service and food offering has had a huge impact on your stay with us and this is down to the dedicated and professional team that work hard to ensure every guest has a positive and enjoyable experience.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experiences.
Ossett, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I booked this hotel because it has a private cottage with a private hot tub with all the benefits of a hotel for my partners 40th birthday.
The cottage was beautiful, the hot tub was perfect. We ate twice in the hotel and the food was amazing.
The staff were all fabulous-very helpful and friendly.
It was not the cheapest but we will definitely be going again and would recommend it to everyone.
My only feedback would be that the cottage would benefit from a small drinks fridge.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moreton-in-Marsh
White Hart Royal Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!