“lovely room but NO hot water or breakfast”

and 1 more site!
Redesdale Arms Hotel
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I booked to stay in this pub/hotel while working in the Fire service college as it was nearby, the entrance looked good and the gentleman on reception was excellent and after checking me in he showed me to my room. Room 15 was in the rear bungalows and I was wondering how the is only rated a 2 star property. The room was very warm so I opened a few windows and unpacked. There was complimentary bottled water and sherry in the room which I thought was a nice touch as well as free Wi-Fi and a large television. All was going fine until the following morning when I turned them shower on to find no hot water, unsure of which was the hot or cold tap I turned them both to see if it would draw the hot water faster to the shower but after 5 mins I realised that there was probably an immersion tank that feeds hot water to all the rooms in the block and as it was February it had all been used by other guests. Personally I do not mind cold showers and by this time I was looking forward to a nice hearty warm breakfast, that was the other let down. If you say on the menu that you will be give fresh hot toast that is what you expect not toast that has been put in a warm place for a long time and has the texture of damp cardboard. The bacon was cooked and the rashers were not separated so they fused into a block of bacon and it was impossible to separate them, the sausage were like rubber tubes the hash browns and fried bread were soggy from spending far to long in the bain marie and the baked beans were a congealed dried up inedible mess. The temperature of all the breakfast items was lukewarm at best and this was a great shame.
I am sure that these issues do not normally occur but if they did in my hotel I would instruct my staff to resolve the issue by either fixing the fault there and then or maybe even asking the guest if they would like to shower in a room with hot water. This would have earned the hotel an excellent rating instead of a poor one

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank d0minic_H
RedesdaleArmsHotel, Receptionist at Redesdale Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I apologise for the lack of hot water in your room, unfortunately, the problem could not of been rectified by any of the managers who did their up most to try to resolve the problem that morning, and so a plumber was called out later that day and the problem was resolved.
With regards to the breakfast I'm truly sorry you never experienced our award winning style, and will certainly be taking the matters up with not only the breakfast manager but also our chef.
We do hope we are able welcome you again in the near future while attending the Fire Service College.

There are newer reviews for Redesdale Arms Hotel

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We had a superior room which was nicely decorated. Fab and comfortable bed. Lovely shower room. Even had free brandy . Hotel staff were extremely accommodating and helpful. We also had dinner in the restaurant which was very good although at the beginning felt slightly rushed but that could have been due to arrival of a big party. If you want to eat suggest booking as restaurant and bar full. Breakfast was good although because we went down towards the end of service some of the hot buffet was a bit over cooked. We should have got there earlier! Would definitely stay again. Right in middle of high street with lots of lovely galleries and shops to look around

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff very helpful.
I apologise that you felt slightly rushed at the start of your dinner and you felt the food was a little overcooked when you arrived for breakfast the following morning.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We booked in for one night over the Valentine's weekend. After being warmly welcomed we were shown to our room, which was part of an annexe of small cottage type rooms. Ours had a 4-poster bed, and a large bathroom with jacuzzi bath & shower. The whole room was immaculately clean.
A decanter of sherry and two glasses were in the room awaiting us...this is not my drink of choice but it was a nice touch.
We ate in the restaurant in the evening. The food was delicious and the service attentive.
My only small gripe was that the 4-poster bed's mattress was set a little too low in the bedframe resulting in having to almost climb out of the bed.
Breakfast was a buffet of hot and cold offerings with good quality sausages, bacon and Black pudding and served in a pleasant light & airy room.
The location is perfect, right on the high street in Moreton, which itself is a good base from which to explore the Northern Cotswolds.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at the Redesdale Arms Hotel.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay during the Valentines weekend. Thank you for your kind words with the room Batsford you stayed in and also our restaurant with breakfast.
We hope to welcome you to the Cotswold's in the future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

The Redesdale Arms Hotel is a busy place. We went for Valentine's weekend and stayed in room 15. Our arrival was warmly received, we were led to our room which was spacious with all amenities including a welcome half decanter of sherry. Everything was clean and tidy, just as it should be and we had a wonderful night's sleep. However the mind wanders to other things and I couldn't help noticing the rotten skirting boards on the exterior of the en-suite facilities. It is not a fault of the hotel per se, but indicative of poor workmanship so often found these days. Otherwise it would have been a five star review.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review during your Valentines stay with us.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us in room 15. I would like to apologise with regards to the skirting boards and pass that onto maintenance straight away.
We do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just returned from a very nice stay at this hotel, we had a deluxe double room which was very nice although a little warm and had a very annoying fan in the bathroom (that went off and on)and needs a few little extra touches like somewhere for soap etc in the shower and the shower was not very powerful the other blip was a dirty throw on the bed which was whisked away when pointed out with the promise of a new one which never arrived. Another pain was no car parking space when we arrived so we had to carry our bags from the high street in the rain!
All in all we had a nice time which was made all the better by the fabulous food, we had two lovely dinners in the restaurant and the breakfasts were of good quality and plentiful. The staff were all very friendly and polite.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Although a business trip I was made to feel extremely welcome by all staff on arrival, led to room which was very warm (horrible weather!) with free wifi, complimentary carafe of sherry, and the room was top notch, very comfortable and clean. Breakfast menu was vast, fresh coffee, fruit, full English if you want it. Free parking at rear, right outside room. I stayed in 27, and delighted with this fine hotel with personal touches that larger chains would never achieve.

Room Tip: Rooms in the courtyard are ideal for quiet night and close car parking....
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The promotional DB&B package offers very good value for money.I made the booking on behalf of myself and three friends and they were all very pleased with my choice. I was particularly glad to have booked the executive suite as a it gave us a small sitting area and a garden (not that the weather allowed us to us it!).And the executive rooms are at the rear of the property, so very quiet.There is plenty of parking but also spaces on the high street (free on Sunday).As per other reviews, the staff were both friendly and efficicent and the food good and plentiful. We liked it all so much that we might very well go back! Book online for a complimentary glass of fizz, but do speak to the hotel too if you have particular room reqirements.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the upper floor to the rear of the hotel if you have mobility problems as they ar...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moreton-in-Marsh
White Hart Royal Hotel
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Redesdale Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!