“clean but not great”

Berks
“clean but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

stayed 2 nights at the 'cottage'., of The Bell Inn, Moreton-in -Marsh
Good if you have a dog as floors can handle muddy paws ( and boots) but bathroom was awful.. ceiling full of mould, shower door broken and size is tiny ( as it sleeps four !)
breakfast served in bar of hotel is poor.. the condition of furnishings/ furniture really bad!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank perryBerks
Khrischard, Owner at The Bell Inn, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
We do not pretend to be great - the cottage is an unpretentious cheap way for up to 5 to stay in Moreton under relatively spartan conditions. It is advertised as such - and I do not want great expectations of the cottage (That would be the very Dickens, although I hope we are not a Bleak House)

We are aware that due to regular misuse of the facilities the shower room rapidly becomes filthy - we clean it often - but probably not often enough, and it is being re-decorated next week.

The reviewer must have confused us with somewhere else when she wrote "the condition of the furniture/furnishing is really bad" The outdoor furniture is out of use pending refurbishment before its next use in the spring - I am sure no one sits outside in this filthy weather - the indoor furniture and furnishings are either brand new or recently refurbished.

The carpets are, however - like the writer - a little decrepit and showing their age and hopefully will be replaced before the spring - the carpets I mean.

Happy new Year to all our guests

Christopher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

Once again visited Moreton and stayed for the weekend ,(From BAD EXPERIENCES HAVE STOPPED GOING TO SOME OF HIGH ST "HOTELS") met by a very polite barman
Terry, he new our names straight way which makes a change ...not like the nightmare at the Redesdale Arms booked for a meal arrived and were ignored !!!."Nevertheless" The Bell what a lovely change to be greeted and made so welcome, Terry very quickly organized a bar attendent
and showed our weekend room, found the room just a liitle on the cold side asked why the heating was off or not working within an hour Cozy As Toast, we were given complimentary drinks, evening meal was good and was excellent value for money , the real Ale is to Die For, just to rush things through - well the breakfast absolute full English superb, Thanks once again The Bell Inn Moreton in Marsh. Joe Family & Friends

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank joe m
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stayed at The Bell for three nights in September. I was a little leery of staying there after reading some of the reviews but we found our room in one of the buildings behind to hotel to be pleasant enough. It was rather small but clean with a comfortable bed and charming in its own way. The breakfast was very good...full English cooked to order. The owner was very friendly. The hotel is convenient to the train station, the laundromat and the bus stop. Of course, Moreton-in-Marsh is so small that everything is close by. The take out fish and chips shop a few doors down is excellent. You can tell by the line of people waiting to buy. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Family-of-18
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

Further to our recent stay at your establishment. Please find listed below the problems we encountered (photos to confirm our findings are available if required).

Upon arrival, we were shown to our room in a converted outbuilding. It was raining and as we entered the room, it appeared cold, unwelcoming and smelled of cats. We pointed this out to the gentleman who showed us the room, but all he said was "we don't have cats". There was no door mat in the room and as the floor was wooden, the water from our feet just stayed on the floor and made it slippy. We turned on the inadequate heaters, but only one worked so it was a long time before we could take off our coats, and the room remained 'chilly' throughout - there was a draft under the door which didn't help!

The bedroom was shabby and not clean. We found a discarded plastic bottle under the bed, and as we pushed the twin beds together, we found the skirting boards to be very dusty as was the floor under the beds. The window frames were black with condensation and mildew. The smoke alarm appeared to be broken. The beds were 'creaky' and kept us awake every time we moved in the night. There was very little insulation to prevent noise transfer from the room upstairs.

The bathroom had a 'wavy' floor?? The ceiling had black condensation/mildew. The shaver light didn't work. The strip on the edge of the cupboard door was peeling off. There was no bathmat or non-slip mat for the shower. The shower stopped 'mid' shower. The bath wasn't very clean. There was a brown stain on the edge of the bath. The back of the toilet and washbasin were dirty. The sealant around the bath and the plastic strip on the shower screen were 'black'. The bath plug didn't stop the water from escaping when running a bath.

We had a sleepless night and the following morning when we went across to have our breakfast, we were greeted by a pleasant young lady who offered us tea or coffee. I ordered a glass of milk and my partner ordered coffee. We proceeded into the breakfast room. The other guests were sat there (apparently waiting for us) and the owner (I assume) informed us that the chef was ill so we were to have breakfast at a neighbouring hotel. The coffee we had ordered arrived in a dirty looking teapot and my glass of milk never arrived.

We went to the hotel down the road for breakfast ... what a transformation, this was the highlight of our stay. The hotel was warm, spotlessly clean and welcoming, the staff delightful and the breakfast was five star!!! We would certainly not hesitate to book the Redesdale Arms on future trips :-)

We returned to the Bell Inn, packed our bags and went to the bar to check out. We asked the gentleman behind the bar who we needed to speak to if we wanted to complain. He said he thought we would need to speak to 'Chris' and promptly went off to find him. He came back and said that he couldn't find him. We explained that we had a list of complaints and were not prepared to pay the full asking price for an inferior quality room. We gave him £35 (which was more than sufficient in our opinion given the list of faults) - left our name, address, mobile number and explained to the 'confused' bar person that we were in the area for the rest of the day and if the owner wanted to ring and discuss our concerns we would be happy to do so. We did not receive a phone call ...

The accommodation at the Bell Inn is described as "superb" in your brochure - we beg to differ, it is 'tired', shabby, unwelcoming and not very clean.

Room Tip: Stay at the Redesdale Arms - superb!!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Janet W
Khrischard, Owner at The Bell Inn, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
I was not here the evening this couple arrived - as they rightly point out we had had three days more or less incessant rain and the room had been badly affected - it should not have been let at all. Vigorous activities by the previous guests had also left the beds loosened generally - I sampled them myself after Mr X's departure and the carpenter has now done his duty. I also cannot condone the behaviour of the (now former) member of staff who not only showed these couple to the rooms but was also so off hand with them in the morning.
No concerns were expressed to me when I saw this couple in the morning - they waited until I had left for the day before making their protests so I could not apologise personally.
I have taken the room out of commission and am sending a comprehensive apology direct to the guests. I am at least glad that the staff at the Redesdale gave them both a good breakfast - which was of course paid for by me at their rates!!

Christopher Horne

Travellers are raving about these Moreton-in-Marsh hotels

Plantation, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

It has been some years since I have had a chance to stay at The Bell Inn, and recent refurbishing has made it an even more pleasant experience to be there than on previous visits..

The rooms have all the beams and stone walls to give a great ambience, and on my (November) visit they had a matching medieval coldness when I first arrived, but the heater provided very quickly took care of that and I had a very warm and comfortable night..

The staff are very helpful, with check-in as simple as it can possibly be. Daniel behind the bar is happy to chat and serves the variety of well-kept beers on tap with notes on the breweries and his experiences with them.

At the time that I was there they were serving dinner only at weekends, but in Moreton that is no problem with meals at any level from pub grub to country hotel excellence. I am addicted to fish and chips, and a few doors down the road there is a 'chippy' that really understands how to cook chips - almost crisp on the outside and floury perfection inside. Nothing wrong with the fish either.

The rooms are comfortable, staff and owner very pleasant, and at the time of my booking, I got a very good price. I will be happy to be going back whenever I am in that area.

Room Tip: No complaints about my room which was at ground level (wheeled the suitcase in) right on the big cou...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Booked this room on saturday at half price through late rooms and what a find. The hotel has a old english pub facing onto the middle of Moreton high street. The pub itself seemed quiet for a wknd but very friendly.The room was amazing, huge, warm, cosy, a sofa to relax on, massive bed, original beams, flat screen tv, dresser table and nice (maybe small for the taller people) bathroom, tea and coffee facilities, and plenty of radiators, it was lovely to come back to.
My only let down was breakfast, bit over cooked and there wasnt a fruit selection available which was on the menu. However overall a simply enjoyable stay for the price.
Moreton is a cute little town and there's great little towns nearby to explore, ensure you dont leave Cotswold without stocking up on the local produce.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night at the start of a walking weekend in the Cotswolds. The room (charlsbury) was very spacious indeed and well appointed; bathroom quite small in comparison and in need of some attention (grouting etc) and updating. But perfectly functional.
Main gripe was the service. When booking via an online hotels site, we had noted we would be leaving early on the Saturday (7am) and would it be possible to have a takeaway breakfast (bread, fruit). No contact so we rang them. Answer: it depends on chefs mood. Hmm. On arriving at the pub we asked again, advised similarly that it depended on chefs mood but he would ask. We went out for dinner & returned a few hours later. No, he hadn't yet asked chef. This was about 10.30pm so we were unimpressed. Explained as we were leaving early we might need to pay, being uncertain whether we had paid in full online or not. Staff member unable to say, said he would have to check with the manager to be sure but 'didn't want to bother him'. We paid in full to avoid confusion and went to bed.
So, lovely room, good location, overpriced since we couldn't have any breakfast due to 'chefs mood' and overall poor customer service from staff. Would probably look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank Gaby11
Khrischard, Owner at The Bell Inn, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
Of all the reviews I have read this is the most curious. Our breakfast cook - we do not have a chef - prepared two packed meals and placed them in the kitchen fridge. They were still then I returned well after the couple had left the next day.
We do not have a manager and I was - a very rare occurrence - out the previous evening and I admit I did not get up very early to see the guests before they departed in the morning.
I could not discuss it with the staff concerned - he is no longer with us.

Christopher Horne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moreton-in-Marsh
White Hart Royal Hotel
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#5 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Bell Inn? Share your experiences!