All reviewsthe pubbeer gardendog friendly pubpeasstaff was very friendly and helpfulnice roomcomfortable bednice atmospherehigh streettrain stationtea coffeecooked breakfastpuddingcentral locationfull english breakfastbiscuitsbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed 6 September 2013

After several days of traveling we just needed a relaxing, enjoyable evening at a local pub...and this was the ticket! Friendly bar staff, cozy, comfortable pub environment, and excellent live music! Rick Chase showed up around 9:00 and seriously rocked the place until closing time! We had a fantastic time...would recommend this spot to all!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I visited The Bell one busy 'Market Day' lunchtime in July.The weather was very hot, so we were glad to find a large table outside in the courtyard which we shared with some charming elderly ladies from Yorkshire, who were on holiday locally. We were immediately struck by the dirty and untidy condition of the courtyard area in general, and the area surrounding our table in particular, which was littered with cigarette ends and detritus from several days (if not weeks) of no maintenance/cleaning. If we hadn't been so in need of a little rest and refreshment, we would have left the premises at that point.
On entering the bar area I waited in line to be served, and eventually was literally 'grunted' at by a very surly woman, whom I took for being either a manageress or the proprietor, who asked what I wanted!....I had noticed a large 'Daily Specials' blackboard of chalked-up dishes which I used to order two appropriate dishes, only to be told impatiently and in raised tone that "This IS MARKET DAY, and that menu-board does NOT apply on market day".....Oooops! silly me....So sorry I stammered! Of course, as a total stranger, perhaps I should have known of their quirky custom of displaying daily specials which are not available every day!!....I tried to make light of it with a smile and a pleasant and witty remark, but this unamused battleaxe was having none of it, so I hastily ordered two sandwiches and two ales instead, and retreated back to the dirty courtyard to await delivery of our lunch. On relating my unpleasant experience with the lovely,chatty Yorkshire ladies, they agreed that the service and attitude by the very same 'lady' in the bar was exactly similar to their own experiences earlier, and they also advised "Don't use the toilets if you can avoid it"! Anyway, to cut a long story short, we will not return to The Bell any time soon, as the dirty, unkempt conditions of the place (the toilets, as we later found out, were disgusting), coupled with an unfriendly attitude and sour-service will ensure that we take our money and custom elsewhere. It is a pity, as this centre-of-town pub has huge potential in the right hands!

The issue of the dirty and unkempt courtyard is, unfortunately, not confined to The Bell Inn!! We have found similar issues with some other establishments all over the country, where potentially very pretty country pubs/hotels with outside terrace/patio areas, are allowed to deteriorate to the point of being unpleasant to use, and all for the want of proper, regular maintenance and care by the owners/managers. It doesn't take much surely?, just regular sweeping, weeding and occasional pressure washing of paving is all that is required!!

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight....WOULD NOT stay overnight!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RangeRover29
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed at the Bell Inn for three nights last September as part of a four-person travel party who stayed in two rooms.

From the time we set foot into the Bell Inn, we all felt as though we were staying with old friends. We were immediately welcomed by the owner, the barman, and other staff who took time to talk story about our travels from Minnesota, USA to England. Every staff member we encountered included us in festivities at the pub and were good to point out local attractions. The Bell Inn is in the heart of Moreton-In-Marsh; close to the rail station, restaurants, shops, and for you single ladies...........it is close to the UK's largest fire college (good-looking firefighters most nights of the week!!) Every time we came back from sight-seeing we would sit down and chat with the staff at the pub, who truly seemed interested in getting to know us.

The breakfast was included and made-to-order. Everyone in our group was very pleased.

The only hang-up we had was that one of the rooms wasn't ready when we checked in. No big deal as we hung out at the pub while the owner personally cleaned the room, then joined us for conversation.

I have traveled extensively in the US and this was my first trip to Europe. If you are looking for Ritz-like accommodations, look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a clean place that is close to the action and to meet and connect with locals, then this is your place!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed at Bell Inn for two nights in July 2013 in the Broadway room. The room was clean and spacious. The bathroom needs a bit of TLC. The staff were friendly and approachable. Breakfast which is included in the room price, was very good with few choices. The whole town is unique. The hotel is a very short walk from the rail station. The Market runs on Tuesdays right in front of the hotel, and is quite an attraction for both the locals and tourists. The only problem was the heat wave... No air conditioning and no fans.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Booked early in year to stay in June at the beginning and end of walking the Cotswold Diamond way. When trying to check everything was ok 2 days before arrival was unable to make contact by phone or email. Eventually made contact and there was some confusion over whether we had the booking. As the room was available everything turned out Ok. The room was Ok but considering other places we have stayed a bit over priced for standard. Breakfast was basic. No fruit and we were just given a carton of orange juice on the table to help ourselves.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends