All reviewsthe pubbeer gardendog friendly pubpeasstaff was very friendly and helpfulnice roomcomfortable bednice atmospherehigh streettrain stationtea coffeecooked breakfastpuddingcentral locationfull english breakfastsunday lunchbiscuits
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed for 1 night as I assumed from ratings and the village the place would be good - we also knew we were late arriving and early out so did not want to pay over the odds. I called at 6.45 on the Saturday evening to advise our arrival would not be until 10.30 that evening - it was as though I had really put them out as the response was not welcoming on the basis of the late check in. Room was clean enough but did not warrant the price and the place itself is in dire need of a clean. Ordered our poached eggs for the morning and it was OK but just OK - 2 gents are running this at present are in urgent need of cleaning, chef and bar staff that know what they are doing and I would also question their standards of cleanliness. It's a shame as the pub itself is steeped in history and with some investment could be made into something worthwhile - my advice is put £100 to another place to stay until they get get their act together and concentrate on cleanliness and service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Booked for three nights but stayed just two. The room was booked via a travel company for work and we won't be using them again either.

I found the staff very polite and friendly but that was as much as I could say since "hello and goodbye" was all I got. They didn't ask me about why I was leaving early and didn't appear to be that concerned when I told them. Organisational skills were not the best.

The room was clean but the bed linen and towels were starting to show their age. The mattress was soft in the middle leading to bed roll. To be fair the room could do with a lick of paint along with a change of furnishings, carpet, lino, to help spruce things up.

My main gripe was the bathroom which was way too small and a shower that failed to deliver any power or hot water. I hate warm drippy showers. A wet wipe might have been more effective. The noise levels were problematic form the cars on the road, drunks singing in the street at 2am outside outside the window to people next door snoring.

I'm scheduled to visit for two weeks in 2014 but I won't be staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Crash_Rescue
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room was spacious and comfortable, and clean. The en-suite could have done with updating, but nothing terrible. The landlord owed his customer care skills to watching repeats of Fawlty Towers though. On arrival it took 5 minutes to find our reservation, followed by another 5 to find the room key. When he showed us to the room he was taken by surprise that the TV worked, and it seemed that most of those in the other rooms didn't as when we went down for a meal the bar TV was on intrusively loud following requests for Coronation Street from other guests unable to watch in their rooms.

At breakfast the next morning it took 15 minutes just to take our order and another 15 to serve it despite the landlord urging us to be quick as it was market day and he needed to get cleared up quickly. He asked another couple at the next table whether they were happy with their room and they told him it had an unpleasant smell and asked to be moved. He merely asked whether they'd kept the window open... Eventually, when they persisted, he demanded their key from them and sent someone off to inspect. He came back reporting that there was indeed a smell. We didn't find out whether they were actually moved, but certainly the landlord seemed neither surprised nor apologetic.

Breakfasts ingredients were disappointing in quality, and on our last morning, not even very warm. We won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Chris K
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Room in yard barn /stable conversion.
First impression dark cold damp and minute!Next the upstairs guests arrived noise insulation non existent awful personal type noises!Happily no passion see earlier post!
Evening meal choice awful chips with everything which I don't eat.Settled for bangers and mash which were shrivelled and same for peas.
Breakfast no choice.No yogurt no bread no fruit.And we asked.
No television at all,satellite presumably not set up properly.
Beware website states free parking but actually on street parking only.
Never again !

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Greenmobile
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed at the Bell Inn for one night before we started on the Cotswolds way.

The room was lovely, spacious and clean with a real 'old world' feel. The beds in particular were very comfortable and cozy. The breakfast in the morning was delicious, perfectly cooked and wonderful to taste.

As the icing on the cake, the owner was kind enough to give us a lift to Chipping Campden as he didn't think we'd find a taxi easily. So we had a wonderful, friendly stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family