All reviewsthe pubbeer gardendog friendly pubpeasstaff was very friendly and helpfulnice roomcomfortable bednice atmospherehigh streettrain stationtea coffeecooked breakfastpuddingcentral locationfull english breakfastbiscuitsbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have only given this place one star as it wont let me leave none!! Where do I start.....The staff were terrible. They were drunk behind the bar swearing at each other. We ate in the bar when we arrived. The staff didn't know what half the things on the menu were and didn't even offer to ask the chef. The food when it arrived was disgusting and overpriced.
The next morning we went for breakfast. We ordered hot breakfast and decided to have cereal while we waited. Unfortunately the milk had gone off so we had to ask for more milk much to the waitresses inconvenience. We waited nearly an hour for our cooked breakfast asking several times where it was. The owner was sitting at a table nearby reading the paper and having a cup of tea. When we asked for the 3rd time how long it was going to be we found out they had forgotten what our order was. We went out in the end.
We complained of a leaking shower and were told 'well iv been staying in that room and the shower was fine' by the owner.
I could go on but I dont think I need to!! I am not normally the sort to complain but on this occasion it was necessary. I work in a hotel and my boyfriend is a chef. I can honestly say we have never seen as bad service or eaten as horrible food in a hotel or restaurant. The owner took £35 of our bill but even with that it was still so overpriced. I actually felt sorry for him when we were leaving as he didnt seem to have a clue where they were going wrong. If I had one tip it would be to close the place down and dont reopen until it is renovated and you employ a whole new team. I will not be returning to this place!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!! Pay extra and go to the George in Shipston on Stour or The Manor House in Moreton
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicolamc123
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The whole place is expensive but this is over-priced for what it provides. Basically it is a pub with rooms. Our rooms were very nice once negotiating the slippery wooden steps, certainly not for the unabled person. Breakfast was, to say the least, amateurish. A couple of packets of cereals and variations on "full" English which was ot particularly well done. The background noise created by the owner and staff, plus an unwanted television did not add to the experience.

Room Tip: Watch those "upstairs" in the barn - dodgy steps
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tedfeather
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed for 1 night as I assumed from ratings and the village the place would be good - we also knew we were late arriving and early out so did not want to pay over the odds. I called at 6.45 on the Saturday evening to advise our arrival would not be until 10.30 that evening - it was as though I had really put them out as the response was not welcoming on the basis of the late check in. Room was clean enough but did not warrant the price and the place itself is in dire need of a clean. Ordered our poached eggs for the morning and it was OK but just OK - 2 gents are running this at present are in urgent need of cleaning, chef and bar staff that know what they are doing and I would also question their standards of cleanliness. It's a shame as the pub itself is steeped in history and with some investment could be made into something worthwhile - my advice is put £100 to another place to stay until they get get their act together and concentrate on cleanliness and service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Booked for three nights but stayed just two. The room was booked via a travel company for work and we won't be using them again either.

I found the staff very polite and friendly but that was as much as I could say since "hello and goodbye" was all I got. They didn't ask me about why I was leaving early and didn't appear to be that concerned when I told them. Organisational skills were not the best.

The room was clean but the bed linen and towels were starting to show their age. The mattress was soft in the middle leading to bed roll. To be fair the room could do with a lick of paint along with a change of furnishings, carpet, lino, to help spruce things up.

My main gripe was the bathroom which was way too small and a shower that failed to deliver any power or hot water. I hate warm drippy showers. A wet wipe might have been more effective. The noise levels were problematic form the cars on the road, drunks singing in the street at 2am outside outside the window to people next door snoring.

I'm scheduled to visit for two weeks in 2014 but I won't be staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Crash_Rescue
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room was spacious and comfortable, and clean. The en-suite could have done with updating, but nothing terrible. The landlord owed his customer care skills to watching repeats of Fawlty Towers though. On arrival it took 5 minutes to find our reservation, followed by another 5 to find the room key. When he showed us to the room he was taken by surprise that the TV worked, and it seemed that most of those in the other rooms didn't as when we went down for a meal the bar TV was on intrusively loud following requests for Coronation Street from other guests unable to watch in their rooms.

At breakfast the next morning it took 15 minutes just to take our order and another 15 to serve it despite the landlord urging us to be quick as it was market day and he needed to get cleared up quickly. He asked another couple at the next table whether they were happy with their room and they told him it had an unpleasant smell and asked to be moved. He merely asked whether they'd kept the window open... Eventually, when they persisted, he demanded their key from them and sent someone off to inspect. He came back reporting that there was indeed a smell. We didn't find out whether they were actually moved, but certainly the landlord seemed neither surprised nor apologetic.

Breakfasts ingredients were disappointing in quality, and on our last morning, not even very warm. We won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple