“cant imagine why it would get such lowly reviews!!!”
Review of The Bell Inn

The Bell Inn
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We nearly didn't bother to come here with all the stuff we read about this place! It was the only place that had a vacancy so we decided to take a chance! We were pleasantly surprised and can only surmise that most folks coming and staying here are townies with expectations of grandeur! It is an inn, so it is a pub with accommodation! Our room was very spacious, warm clean and cosy with everything we could possibly need! The beer is well kept, the landlord a little quiet but that's not a sin, the food is basic but very tasty and served in front of a roaring real fire. What more could I wish for? Well it would have been nice to stay for the two days we booked for but as a bird fell down our chimney and set off our alarm we, sadly, had to go home a day early. The pub was very understanding and didn't charge us for the extra night even though they were within their rights to do so! All in all we were glad we took a chance and we will be going back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Arrived at a dingy bar which did not smell nice. Told a problem with a double booking. In fairness this was resolved quickly. The room was cold and dull but clean. The bathroom was clean and plenty of hot water for a bath. The shower was awful with water jets spraying in all directions. Water leaked on to the floor too. The breakfast choice was basic with milk jugs seemingly in short supply as they were shared between tables. The full english was well cooked but only 1 slice of toast each. There were ample toiletries and the tea tray in the room was well stocked and biscuits too. We did not eat in the premises in the evening as the ambience was so dull and drab.

Room Tip: Do not bother booking this place.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank isobelmalloy
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We had a really big room with comfortable bed nice clean towels,and a settee to sit on, shower was not very good kept getting hot and cold. Bathroom o.k. but basic.
That's the good part.
Breakfast we sat down, nobody came over to tell us where things where, i spoted the juice on the bar and then the cerals. Then a girl came over and asked if she could take a menu, no mention of i will be with you in a moment so i thought she was a quest. This person then came over to ask us what we wanted for breakfast, i had read the menu and said bacon egg mushrooms and tomatoe, she said full english then so i said no what i have just asked for.When the breakfast came it was ok a bit greasy, but i got sausage that i did not want and no mushrooms, my husband got black pudding that he did not want. The cook came out to clear our plates away and asked if everything was o.k. so i said yes if we had got what we orderded, he pulled a face and went back to the kitchen which was a shambles.
We were talking to another couple about where we came from and from behind the bar a man butted into our conversation with a sentence and that was it. He was front of house. When we came to leave my husband paid the money, there was no have you had a good stay etc, it seems the money was the main object off conversation. The man who is front of house then said to my husband that he was having problems running the hotel, well he won't get many good reveiws if he carry's on as he is trying to run the hotel. The4 breakfast room was very dark and the carpet could do with a good clean.

Room Tip: the Snowshill room we said in i think is the best others can get noise from the pub
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank grubbies
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have only given this place one star as it wont let me leave none!! Where do I start.....The staff were terrible. They were drunk behind the bar swearing at each other. We ate in the bar when we arrived. The staff didn't know what half the things on the menu were and didn't even offer to ask the chef. The food when it arrived was disgusting and overpriced.
The next morning we went for breakfast. We ordered hot breakfast and decided to have cereal while we waited. Unfortunately the milk had gone off so we had to ask for more milk much to the waitresses inconvenience. We waited nearly an hour for our cooked breakfast asking several times where it was. The owner was sitting at a table nearby reading the paper and having a cup of tea. When we asked for the 3rd time how long it was going to be we found out they had forgotten what our order was. We went out in the end.
We complained of a leaking shower and were told 'well iv been staying in that room and the shower was fine' by the owner.
I could go on but I dont think I need to!! I am not normally the sort to complain but on this occasion it was necessary. I work in a hotel and my boyfriend is a chef. I can honestly say we have never seen as bad service or eaten as horrible food in a hotel or restaurant. The owner took £35 of our bill but even with that it was still so overpriced. I actually felt sorry for him when we were leaving as he didnt seem to have a clue where they were going wrong. If I had one tip it would be to close the place down and dont reopen until it is renovated and you employ a whole new team. I will not be returning to this place!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!! Pay extra and go to the George in Shipston on Stour or The Manor House in More...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicolamc123
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The whole place is expensive but this is over-priced for what it provides. Basically it is a pub with rooms. Our rooms were very nice once negotiating the slippery wooden steps, certainly not for the unabled person. Breakfast was, to say the least, amateurish. A couple of packets of cereals and variations on "full" English which was ot particularly well done. The background noise created by the owner and staff, plus an unwanted television did not add to the experience.

Room Tip: Watch those "upstairs" in the barn - dodgy steps
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tedfeather
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed for 1 night as I assumed from ratings and the village the place would be good - we also knew we were late arriving and early out so did not want to pay over the odds. I called at 6.45 on the Saturday evening to advise our arrival would not be until 10.30 that evening - it was as though I had really put them out as the response was not welcoming on the basis of the late check in. Room was clean enough but did not warrant the price and the place itself is in dire need of a clean. Ordered our poached eggs for the morning and it was OK but just OK - 2 gents are running this at present are in urgent need of cleaning, chef and bar staff that know what they are doing and I would also question their standards of cleanliness. It's a shame as the pub itself is steeped in history and with some investment could be made into something worthwhile - my advice is put £100 to another place to stay until they get get their act together and concentrate on cleanliness and service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Booked for three nights but stayed just two. The room was booked via a travel company for work and we won't be using them again either.

I found the staff very polite and friendly but that was as much as I could say since "hello and goodbye" was all I got. They didn't ask me about why I was leaving early and didn't appear to be that concerned when I told them. Organisational skills were not the best.

The room was clean but the bed linen and towels were starting to show their age. The mattress was soft in the middle leading to bed roll. To be fair the room could do with a lick of paint along with a change of furnishings, carpet, lino, to help spruce things up.

My main gripe was the bathroom which was way too small and a shower that failed to deliver any power or hot water. I hate warm drippy showers. A wet wipe might have been more effective. The noise levels were problematic form the cars on the road, drunks singing in the street at 2am outside outside the window to people next door snoring.

I'm scheduled to visit for two weeks in 2014 but I won't be staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Crash_Rescue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moreton-in-Marsh
White Hart Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Shipston-on-Stour
Buckland Manor
Buckland Manor
#2 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Bell Inn? Share your experiences!