All reviewsthe pubbeer gardendog friendly pubpeasstaff was very friendly and helpfulnice roomcomfortable bednice atmospherehigh streettrain stationtea coffeecooked breakfastpuddingcentral locationfull english breakfastbiscuitsbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Called in for an evening meal while staying in the area. Pub was pretty basic but had a nice log fire, Christmas decorations etc. We had heard that the food was good here and we weren't disappointed. Staff were very polite and the food was delicious so we would certainly visit again. Well done.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I read the reviews of this place and I was in two minds to stay or change, however there were no vacancies left anywhere else so I continued with my visit. I am so glad I did, I arrived and was welcomed by a very pleasant lady who showed me to my room. It was lovely, large bed with white clean fresh linen on. It was in a converted barn with allot of treated wood, so the smell I got was just natural products. They had put the heaters on for me. As I was staying for 3 nights it was a great location for me travelling on my own. The bathroom was ok, good size, it just needed a little attention as the shower head needed replacing, a handle should be fitted on the wall inside the bath to assist getting in and out, and the cleaning just needed to be a notch up, but nothing major.
There was a great selection of channels on the tv, which was fixed to the wall so you could watch it on the sofa or in bed.
I had 3 good nights sleep in a very comfortable bed.
Breakfast was delicious, the menu choice was great ranging from a full English to poached egg on toast to beans on toast, cereals etc. Nothing was too much trouble from the staff. After speaking with the acting landlord, there have been previous issues, but if the acting landlord stays it will improve tremendously.
The only request from me is sort the internet out, it doesn't reach to the rooms and for a woman travelling on her own I didn't feel comfortable sitting in the bar working.
All in all a very positive experience and I would definitely stay there again as long as the previous landlord isn't in charge and the gentleman who I spoke to is.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We nearly didn't bother to come here with all the stuff we read about this place! It was the only place that had a vacancy so we decided to take a chance! We were pleasantly surprised and can only surmise that most folks coming and staying here are townies with expectations of grandeur! It is an inn, so it is a pub with accommodation! Our room was very spacious, warm clean and cosy with everything we could possibly need! The beer is well kept, the landlord a little quiet but that's not a sin, the food is basic but very tasty and served in front of a roaring real fire. What more could I wish for? Well it would have been nice to stay for the two days we booked for but as a bird fell down our chimney and set off our alarm we, sadly, had to go home a day early. The pub was very understanding and didn't charge us for the extra night even though they were within their rights to do so! All in all we were glad we took a chance and we will be going back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Arrived at a dingy bar which did not smell nice. Told a problem with a double booking. In fairness this was resolved quickly. The room was cold and dull but clean. The bathroom was clean and plenty of hot water for a bath. The shower was awful with water jets spraying in all directions. Water leaked on to the floor too. The breakfast choice was basic with milk jugs seemingly in short supply as they were shared between tables. The full english was well cooked but only 1 slice of toast each. There were ample toiletries and the tea tray in the room was well stocked and biscuits too. We did not eat in the premises in the evening as the ambience was so dull and drab.

Room Tip: Do not bother booking this place.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank isobelmalloy
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We had a really big room with comfortable bed nice clean towels,and a settee to sit on, shower was not very good kept getting hot and cold. Bathroom o.k. but basic.
That's the good part.
Breakfast we sat down, nobody came over to tell us where things where, i spoted the juice on the bar and then the cerals. Then a girl came over and asked if she could take a menu, no mention of i will be with you in a moment so i thought she was a quest. This person then came over to ask us what we wanted for breakfast, i had read the menu and said bacon egg mushrooms and tomatoe, she said full english then so i said no what i have just asked for.When the breakfast came it was ok a bit greasy, but i got sausage that i did not want and no mushrooms, my husband got black pudding that he did not want. The cook came out to clear our plates away and asked if everything was o.k. so i said yes if we had got what we orderded, he pulled a face and went back to the kitchen which was a shambles.
We were talking to another couple about where we came from and from behind the bar a man butted into our conversation with a sentence and that was it. He was front of house. When we came to leave my husband paid the money, there was no have you had a good stay etc, it seems the money was the main object off conversation. The man who is front of house then said to my husband that he was having problems running the hotel, well he won't get many good reveiws if he carry's on as he is trying to run the hotel. The4 breakfast room was very dark and the carpet could do with a good clean.

Room Tip: the Snowshill room we said in i think is the best others can get noise from the pub
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business