All reviews the pub beer garden dog friendly pub peas comfortable bed nice room high street train station cooked breakfast pudding full english breakfast sunday lunch biscuits breakfast was excellent pony prancing lord
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We have just had the misfortune of walking into the bar of the Bell Inn to meet friends of ours who had the even greater misfortune of having booked in for the night so they could attend our party nearby.
Where do I start???!
The whole room stank of a mix of body odour and vomit and my feet stuck to the floor with every step. No-one was behind the bar nor did anyone appear for the few minutes I could bear to wait in the room before thankfully leaving.
How could this place possibly be recommended on any website - unless it's receiving reviews from friends and relations?
Terrible place, I will definitely not be visiting again and I sincerely hope our friends have the good sense to leave without paying the unbelievable charge of £120 for one night!

Room tip: Rooms in other hotels cannot possibly smell as bad!
Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank dawn o
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Called in for an evening meal while staying in the area. Pub was pretty basic but had a nice log fire, Christmas decorations etc. We had heard that the food was good here and we weren't disappointed. Staff were very polite and the food was delicious so we would certainly visit again. Well done.

Date of stay: December 2013
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I read the reviews of this place and I was in two minds to stay or change, however there were no vacancies left anywhere else so I continued with my visit. I am so glad I did, I arrived and was welcomed by a very pleasant lady who showed me to my room. It was lovely, large bed with white clean fresh linen on. It was in a converted barn with allot of treated wood, so the smell I got was just natural products. They had put the heaters on for me. As I was staying for 3 nights it was a great location for me travelling on my own. The bathroom was ok, good size, it just needed a little attention as the shower head needed replacing, a handle should be fitted on the wall inside the bath to assist getting in and out, and the cleaning just needed to be a notch up, but nothing major.
There was a great selection of channels on the tv, which was fixed to the wall so you could watch it on the sofa or in bed.
I had 3 good nights sleep in a very comfortable bed.
Breakfast was delicious, the menu choice was great ranging from a full English to poached egg on toast to beans on toast, cereals etc. Nothing was too much trouble from the staff. After speaking with the acting landlord, there have been previous issues, but if the acting landlord stays it will improve tremendously.
The only request from me is sort the internet out, it doesn't reach to the rooms and for a woman travelling on her own I didn't feel comfortable sitting in the bar working.
All in all a very positive experience and I would definitely stay there again as long as the previous landlord isn't in charge and the gentleman who I spoke to is.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We nearly didn't bother to come here with all the stuff we read about this place! It was the only place that had a vacancy so we decided to take a chance! We were pleasantly surprised and can only surmise that most folks coming and staying here are townies with expectations of grandeur! It is an inn, so it is a pub with accommodation! Our room was very spacious, warm clean and cosy with everything we could possibly need! The beer is well kept, the landlord a little quiet but that's not a sin, the food is basic but very tasty and served in front of a roaring real fire. What more could I wish for? Well it would have been nice to stay for the two days we booked for but as a bird fell down our chimney and set off our alarm we, sadly, had to go home a day early. The pub was very understanding and didn't charge us for the extra night even though they were within their rights to do so! All in all we were glad we took a chance and we will be going back!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Arrived at a dingy bar which did not smell nice. Told a problem with a double booking. In fairness this was resolved quickly. The room was cold and dull but clean. The bathroom was clean and plenty of hot water for a bath. The shower was awful with water jets spraying in all directions. Water leaked on to the floor too. The breakfast choice was basic with milk jugs seemingly in short supply as they were shared between tables. The full english was well cooked but only 1 slice of toast each. There were ample toiletries and the tea tray in the room was well stocked and biscuits too. We did not eat in the premises in the evening as the ambience was so dull and drab.

Room tip: Do not bother booking this place.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple