“Decent Beer but woeful food”
Review of The Bell Inn

The Bell Inn
Price range: US$14 - US$42
Description: Relaxed informal dining
Description: Relaxed informal dining
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We went to this pub for a meal after stopping the day before for a few pints of nice ale, and noting that it was dog friendly ( one of it's plus points ). The decor in place is a bit "tired" but not too bad and has a large sunny courtyard.However, that's where the plus points end as the food is probably as poor as you will get in this area.Having had a lovely lunch of hand carved ham at the Rose Revived in Standlake a few days earlier,my wife ordered a "safe" choice of ham,eggs and chips and was served up three slices of the cheapest thin cuts of economy style gammon available from any supermarket value lines,2 small eggs and a tub of frozen chips,for which she was charged £8.50.My meal was a bit better but not good, and both meals were really poor value compared to what's on offer in most other inns in this area.We visited on a Monday (had tried the Sunday but no food is served on Sunday nights, which is strange given their sign saying food served every day !) and there were only 2 other tables occupied and I'm not surprised.The place next door was almost full with diners but don't allow dogs so we were stuck with this.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stopped off for a meal on our way home, we were on a BMW1600 bike in our bike gear (all apart from helmets) not scruffy dressed.. got the impression from the start we werent welcome. We were advised that they were only serving roasts so we ordered out meals and drinks and sat down to wait. To be told indirectly by the Barman via another family sitting behind us, that they didnt have any food left from lunch time and that as they made a fuss about this they were told "if you dont tell the boss, ill give you some money back from your drinks order" !! we were ignored again and overheard him tell the family they only had chicken curry left. We then drank up our drinks and left, to be folllowed out by the barman who said he was going to remove the food boards off the display. As we were riding away we noticed the food boards had been placed back on the wall again and no one else left the pub. !!

2  Thank Sue S
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Wish I had read the reviews before I sat down and ordered lunch. Absolutely awful. My lunch was tasteless and over priced. Disappointing.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stopped at this pub on our way to our B&B for a drink and decided to have a Sunday lunch.
I was not too impressed with the meal, although this could just be my personal preference.
There seems to be a trend today of not cooking the food fully, vegetables seem to be just dipped into hot water and are therefore almost raw. This restaurant seems to follow this trend. I had the beef and it is what they would probably call rare, although in parts I would have called it raw.
It was not a particular large meal and it was only luke warm.
I would visit again for the beers but probably wouldn't eat there again.

2  Thank davidsage
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

How sad to see a place decline, acter getting an accolade from them, enterprise inns, they then seek, at a time of recession, to increase the rent by 12K. Was seeming a reduction from 52K they deserve all they get and more!

2  Thank CapeTownRhino