“Great hosts, lovely house”
Review of Ashton House

Ashton House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Painswick
Ashton House
Ranked #8 of 13 Painswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Welcomed with tea, chocolate cake, chat and laughter a great way to start our stay. We are a group of 7 so filled all the available rooms. We all loved our rooms and slept well. Breakfast in the morning in front of the huge open fire place was a real treat. The dog was very well behaved and we loved her but can see that some people may find her a little overwhelming.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Em_2529
There are newer reviews for Ashton House

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Ashton House is a lovely B&B run by very friendly hosts in a beautiful 17th century house. We stayed for two nights and would thoroughly recommend it. The house is very attractive and our room was lovely and big with a large comfortable bed. Each morning we had a delicious full English breakfast at a large table by the fire. Phillipa and her husband were happy to advise us on walks in the area and restaurants to eat at and were very accommodating. Overall a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I recently stayed at Ashton House for a long weekend with my girlfriend. We had a fantastic time. It was a great base from which to explore the Cotswolds, fuelled by the excellent hearty breakfasts provided at Ashton House. Philippa and Stephen, the owners, were very friendly and welcoming, and the place has a really cosy homely feel about it. My girlfriend and I actually got engaged on the trip; Philippa and Stephen shared a bottle of wine with us when we told them, which made a special day even more enjoyable!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Ashton House is one of several attached houses in the old and lovely village of Painswick with attractive buildings made of off-white stone. The house is old with exposed beams and owners Phillipa and Steven were in the process of some renovation when I stayed. Ashton House is conveniently located in the city centre only a short walk from beautiful 14th Centure St. Mary's Church, with its grounds containing 99 sculpted yew trees. When I arrived I was warmly welcomed by both Phillipa and Steven and Phillipa gave me tea and biscuits in the kitchen as I rested from my hike on the Cotswold Way. My room had a comfortable Queen-sized bed and I slept very well; next door was a bathroom with a bathtub, toilet and sink to which I had exclusive use. The in-room refreshment amenities were basic, nothing special. What was special was breakfast the next morning. Phillipa made an excellent cooked breakfast which was served at a table near an open fireplace with a fire. I stayed in 14 different B & B's or small hotels during my month-long visit to England; nearly all had paper napkins but Phillipa classed up her breakfast setting with cloth napkins.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank floyd s
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Whilst walking the Cotswold way we stayed here and received a nice welcome on our arrival. The room was average but was clean and tidy. The only thing we didn't like was that in the room there was hazelnut coffee, not to our taste. The breakfast was really nice.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We had a lovely 2 night stay with our 7 month old baby. Room was large and a cot was provided. Breakfast was excellent. The location is great and the property has lots of character. Owners couldn't have been more helpful and their dog which has been mentioned in other reviews is the friendliest most docile animal and not a bother at breakfast - our baby was quite taken with her! Only down side is lack of parking - roadside only and you may have to have a look around but this is a small old village and to be expected and not the fault of the b&b. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed one night and were very disappointed. Our room was nice and large but filthy. The toilet was dirty as were the tiles next to the toilet. Carpet not vacuumed and the dust and dirt on the skirting's and window seats was ridiculous. We went the whole stay without making ourselves a cup of tea as the tea tray was on the window seat and was covered in dust and the cups were filled with dirt from the open window. quite a busy little road outside so was quite noisy at night from the traffic. The owners were very nice and pleasant but they need to control their dog which was gentle but we had our 17 month old toddler with us and it is a large dog. It should be kept out from the breakfast room and not aloud to sniff around you and poke its head under your arms to sniff at your breakfast. Everyone is not a dog lover! We really felt robbed paying £70 for the nights stay. I don't like leaving such a bad review but I just felt that they hadn't even made any effort with the room to make it clean and comfortable and worth £70! Breakfast was good but was made to feel uncomfortable because of the dog begging at your side.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family