Cardynham House
US$195
Falcon Inn(Painswick)(Great Value!)
US$147
US$173
Hatton Court Hotel(Upton St Leonards)
US$104
US$101
  • Breakfast included
Premier Inn Stroud Hotel(Stroud)(Great Value!)
US$78
PremierInn.com
US$94
US$92
TripAdvisor
Troy House(Painswick)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspool roomnew englandarabian nightsfour poster bedtuscany roomthe pubfour starnarrow streetspre booktop floordelightful roomcar parkporridgeexposed beamsweekend breakunique hotelwonderful food
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had a lovely two-night stay in the Cardynham House in Painswick. The hotel dates back to the 15th century and has a great deal of charm. We had a spacious and very comfortable room for a family of four with a poster bed and windows on all sides. The restaurant was closed during our stay but the breakfasts were generous and delicious. John could not have been more helpful about our visit. And Painswick itself is quiet and peaceful - a perfect way to visit the Cotswolds.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Tried to book a room for Sunday using a voucher from 'Buyagift.com' today. Had already checked online to see if they had availability, which they had. However, when ringing the hotel to book directly, I found the manager's attitude when he found out I wanted to redeem my voucher, very patronising. Said that he only got half the money back from the site (although my voucher was worth £100) and only kept a couple of rooms free for this promotion. Apparently, he only had one room available, but it was very expensive. But when I asked him how much it would be to upgrade he very abruptly ended the phone call, with a 'goodbye, thank you for calling then'. Very unimpressed..perhaps they should refrain from advertising on this gift site if they're not prepared to accept our business. I know the close family member who purchased this gift for us would also be unimpressed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank snoozie-sue
John_Paterson, Owner at Cardynham House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Please note that this reviewer has never stayed at Cardynham House.

We do accept a number of gift vouchers and this buy-a-gift voucher is one we do take. However the voucher covers certain days of the week and very specific room types only and is subject to availability as is set out in detail on the Buy-a-gift website. It is true that we receive only a percentage of the face value of the voucher so we do have no choice other than to be careful not to accept too many on any one date. On this occasion the reviewer asked for a reason why we did not offer an upgrade.

When the reviewer called we were already fully booked on the following Sunday with the exception of our Pool room and our large family room both of which are not covered by this gift voucher. The Pool room is twice the price of the rooms covered by the voucher and the family room we always hold for families and groups. The customer asked about a possible upgrade charge and I told her that for these rooms we could not accept the voucher even in part payment and I suggested that she may consider other dates. It now appears as if the reviewer got rather annoyed about this or thought that this response was not good enough for her.

We are always careful to be courteous, polite and truthful with customers and I know that this was that was the case with this reviewer, though clearly we managed to annoy her in that we would not offer her one of rooms not covered by the offer.

Given that the reviewer has never stayed with us this unpleasant review appears both unreasonable and unfair as well.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We booked a three day stay at Cardynham House last week, then I read some negative views and worried about my choice, which I then found unfounded. We had booked into the Arabian Room so I telephoned John (owner), unfortunately they were fully booked on the Sunday but he offered to move us on the Monday if we were not happy. So OK the room has no window but there is still some natural light via a skylight and the air conditioning was bliss during the heatwave. My husband was happy to stay in the room but I decided to upgrade us to the pool room - brilliant!! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, everyone was very pleasant and helpful, the food in the bistro is delicious, the breakfasts are very good (and be warned very filling!). Anyone making a complaint about this hotel must be very hard to please, we would definitely go again.

Room Tip: If you can afford to splash out book the pool room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denise F
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My wife, 15-year-old daughter, and I stayed at the Cardynham House for three nights in early June, and we throroughly enjoyed our stay. The B&B was pleasantly quaint and cozy. It lacked an elevator, and the stairs were narrow; but that comes with the territory. Our room was very comfortable and bright, with plenty of windows. We enjoyed looking out to the street below, where we often saw walkers passing through town along the Cotswold Way. The B&B was nicely located in the center of town, close to everything, but away from the main route through town which was quite busy at morning and evening rush hours. Each day's breakfast was a delightful feast with very attentive service.

We found Painswick to be a very pleasant town to visit. Though it lacked any top-draw tourist attractions, it was a beautiful old town filled with quaint old stone buildings that were often clad with blossom-covered vines. In fact, we were happy to find that the town was not filled with hordes of tourists. It was a wonderful town to explore on foot. We wandered many of the town's narrow lanes. We were happy to discover public footpaths scattered throughout the town and into the surrounding farmland, which was pleasantly verdant and rolling. We took one walk along a stretch of the Cotswold Way to nearby Painswick Beacon, which featured both the remnants of an Iron Age fort and incredible views of the surrounding countryside.

While my daughter lamented the dearth of young visitors to this area, we all found Painswick to be a walker's delight and the Cardynham House a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: The Medieval Garden was a pleasant corner room with several windows. Upstairs rooms do necessitate carrying luggage up narrow stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rick Y
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My husband and I had a lovely stay in Cardynham House and we recommend it to anyone who wants to relax in a peaceful interesting setting. The house was built in the mid 1400s and so the tops of the doors are very low. My husband is 6' 2" and had to duck to go through the doorways. The breakfast was tasty and the portions were generous! The staff were friendly and helpful. I recommend you take along a small flashlight to use at night. For some reason, the light bulbs in our room were only 7 watt and it was difficult to look for stuff in our suitcases after dark. There were good halogen reading lamps by the beds, however, so we weren't totally in a twilight setting.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple