Cardynham House
St Michael's(Painswick)
  • Breakfast included
Tibbiwell Lodge(Painswick)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspool roomnew englandarabian nightsfour poster bedtuscany roomthe pubfour starnarrow streetspre booktop floordelightful roomcar parkporridgeexposed beamsweekend breakunique hotelwonderful food
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I arranged our stay by phone, the manager was very helpful and obliging. Our American friend
who was with us just loved her bedroom--particularly the 4 poster bed. The rooms were clean and the beds very comfortable.
The Cardynham is full of history and character and if you want an idiosyncratic place to stay, this will fit the bill.
Although Painswick is a ancient town with many narrow streets surrounding the hotel, there was little traffic noise during the night. Car parking can be a little difficult and may require a bit of patience to find a parking space nearby. We dined at the Falcon Inn (opposite the church) .Excellent food--it gets busy so booking might be a good idea .
Overall an excellent one night stay at the Cardynham.
Brian Kelly

Room Tip: We had the Tuscany room which I can recommend.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Beautiful hotel, spectacular bed! A bit nervous initially as read some negative reports about booking with a voucher, but had no problems at all, John, the manager was very welcoming and the staff couldn't have been friendlier. The bistro unfortunately was closed for staff holidays but the breakfast was great. In the end it ticked all the right boxes. Would certainly love to return

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had a lovely two-night stay in the Cardynham House in Painswick. The hotel dates back to the 15th century and has a great deal of charm. We had a spacious and very comfortable room for a family of four with a poster bed and windows on all sides. The restaurant was closed during our stay but the breakfasts were generous and delicious. John could not have been more helpful about our visit. And Painswick itself is quiet and peaceful - a perfect way to visit the Cotswolds.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Tried to book a room for Sunday using a voucher from 'Buyagift.com' today. Had already checked online to see if they had availability, which they had. However, when ringing the hotel to book directly, I found the manager's attitude when he found out I wanted to redeem my voucher, very patronising. Said that he only got half the money back from the site (although my voucher was worth £100) and only kept a couple of rooms free for this promotion. Apparently, he only had one room available, but it was very expensive. But when I asked him how much it would be to upgrade he very abruptly ended the phone call, with a 'goodbye, thank you for calling then'. Very unimpressed..perhaps they should refrain from advertising on this gift site if they're not prepared to accept our business. I know the close family member who purchased this gift for us would also be unimpressed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank snoozie-sue
John_Paterson, Owner at Cardynham House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Please note that this reviewer has never stayed at Cardynham House.

We do accept a number of gift vouchers and this buy-a-gift voucher is one we do take. However the voucher covers certain days of the week and very specific room types only and is subject to availability as is set out in detail on the Buy-a-gift website. It is true that we receive only a percentage of the face value of the voucher so we do have no choice other than to be careful not to accept too many on any one date. On this occasion the reviewer asked for a reason why we did not offer an upgrade.

When the reviewer called we were already fully booked on the following Sunday with the exception of our Pool room and our large family room both of which are not covered by this gift voucher. The Pool room is twice the price of the rooms covered by the voucher and the family room we always hold for families and groups. The customer asked about a possible upgrade charge and I told her that for these rooms we could not accept the voucher even in part payment and I suggested that she may consider other dates. It now appears as if the reviewer got rather annoyed about this or thought that this response was not good enough for her.

We are always careful to be courteous, polite and truthful with customers and I know that this was that was the case with this reviewer, though clearly we managed to annoy her in that we would not offer her one of rooms not covered by the offer.

Given that the reviewer has never stayed with us this unpleasant review appears both unreasonable and unfair as well.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We booked a three day stay at Cardynham House last week, then I read some negative views and worried about my choice, which I then found unfounded. We had booked into the Arabian Room so I telephoned John (owner), unfortunately they were fully booked on the Sunday but he offered to move us on the Monday if we were not happy. So OK the room has no window but there is still some natural light via a skylight and the air conditioning was bliss during the heatwave. My husband was happy to stay in the room but I decided to upgrade us to the pool room - brilliant!! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, everyone was very pleasant and helpful, the food in the bistro is delicious, the breakfasts are very good (and be warned very filling!). Anyone making a complaint about this hotel must be very hard to please, we would definitely go again.

Room Tip: If you can afford to splash out book the pool room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple